Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-19-2006, 04:41 PM   #1
PartyCrashers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4524
What are the pro and cons of running boards?

Christmas is coming??? and Santa is looking at running boards for the sled (pick up). Just wondering about the pros and cons of running boards. What brand do you have? What do you like or dis-like about them? What would you change? Got to be honest, not real impressed with the "nerf bars" style, but willing to hear your opinion on this style.
Thank You!

PartyCrashers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 04:55 PM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Kevin,

I never thought I would say this, but I actually like my running boards. When I was younger those were the first things to hit the trash can - as they interfered with serious off roading. But alas I'm older and wiser, and they are very convenient for getting in the truck. I've got them on both the SUV and pickup from the factory. My old 2001 factory boards were nerf bars and they scratched and got slick as heck with snow on your shoes. The new 2006 boards are non-descript flat black full length steps.

I did have to add mudflaps on my pickup, as the design of the running boards leave a gap in front that collects all of the snow and junk from the roads and throws it right on the step.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 05:10 PM   #3
Bob Pasternak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #800
Send a message via ICQ to Bob Pasternak
We had an '01 Dodge 3/4 with nerf bars. Bought it used so took what was on it. They were ok, but when we got this one I wanted running boards. I could have ordered nerf bars or molded boards out of the factory but chose to put the cab length ones on after we got the truck. We are in our 70's and running boards do help getting in and out of the truck. If you do 'off roading', nerf bars would probably be better. We also have splash gaurds that come within 2" of the ground when the trailer is hooked.
Bob Pasternak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 05:32 PM   #4
Bluegill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6121
Our truck came with running boards... I love em.
It seems like you have more room for your feet when climbing in and out.
Bluegill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 05:52 PM   #5
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I have the Westin Stainless steel nerf bar style running boards and love them. Had them on the last 3 Chevy's. I like the bars over steps as my bars do not collect snow and mud. Having the open space between the truck and the bar is what allows the snow to fall off as you drive down the road. Just my opinion...
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 06:08 PM   #6
PartyCrashers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4524
Hmmmmmmmm....good points coming in
Thank You!
PartyCrashers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 06:53 PM   #7
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
The last 3 or 4 trucks came new with running boards, won't be with out them. These new trucks are just too high to get into with out them.
Got broad sided a couple of years ago, while loading onto a ferry to get home. the running board on the DW side of the truck took most of the impact and saved my wife from serious injury. The lady that hit us spent a week in the hospital and her car was a write off. We only missed the ferry.

J&D

JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 07:30 PM   #8
ronnilu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3933
Running boards are a necessity for us in order to get in the truck without jumping or carrying a stool. They also are a must for rummaging in my tool box in the truck bed. Ours are StarBoards which mold around at the fenders and space between the cab and bed.
ronnilu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 10:18 PM   #9
gojodo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5540
Like everyone else these trucks are just too high to not have some type of running board. I ended up with the stock tubes that come with Dodge but I would recommend you consider a running board that goes back far enough to step up into the truck bed.
gojodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 11:09 PM   #10
smc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3125
Running boards the full length, the solid kind. They help getting in, stand on them to get stuff out of the box, and wash the windshield. The biggest plus is that they protect the side of the truck, specially on gravel. Don't have problems with snow as we do our best to avoid it.
smc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 02:11 AM   #11
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
With Ford 4x4's you need them. I have had both factory types . The cab steps do a better job keeping the mud off the truck body but they can be slippery and are not real pretty.
The Ford factory chrome step bars, are better looking and not as slippery and both the wife and I like them better.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 02:16 AM   #12
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
We have split running board rather than the full length one. Not only do they look good, but they are very useful. They permit getting into the tool box easily, abd washing & waxing the top of the cab and the hood. We got the split ones because the box torques separate from the cab when not on flat ground. It's been over 11 years since we bought them so I don't remember the make. I had them put on as part of the "deal" with the dealer.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 02:57 AM   #13
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Running Boards all the way. I too have had both kinds, and agree the nerf bars do get slippery. It's not fun when your foot slips between the bar and the cab on an icy morning.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 03:06 AM   #14
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Montana Sky

I have the Westin Stainless steel nerf bar style running boards and love them. Had them on the last 3 Chevy's. I like the bars over steps as my bars do not collect snow and mud. Having the open space between the truck and the bar is what allows the snow to fall off as you drive down the road. Just my opinion...
Gotta go with Dave on this one.
We have the black bars and we couldn't be without them. I say "couldn't" as Lorraine is too short to get in our 4X4 TV without them.
Also as Dave said "Having the open space between the truck and the bar is what allows the snow to fall off as you drive down the road." I avoid snow like I would the plague but it also helps to keep sand or just plain dirt off.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 04:47 AM   #15
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
My Ford 4x4 came with them , and I wouldn't be without them. I have had trucks without them, but added them as soon as I could. My last truck had Smittybuilt black powdercoated nerf bar type rails, but they had a flat spot with skateboard tape on them for traction. I wouldn't have the plain ones, because they're slippery when wet. Also, a word to the wise, don't Armor-All the step. Don't ask me how I know this.
scattershot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 05:03 AM   #16
sheiba1
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5291

I have willmore nerf bars they run from the front door to the bed of the truck, had the running boards on an older blazer as was mentioned they get in the way when going off road. the rocks seem too be attracted to them the willmore nerfs have a non slip pad on them have never slid on them getting in or out. The full length bars make the bed of the truck very assessable.
Love the Nerfs!

http://www.willmore.com/
sheiba1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 05:20 AM   #17
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
We have the solid running boards. Had lighted ones on the previous trucks. Decided to forego the expense of the lights this time. I can't get in the truck without them. When we bought the truck, we drove it home that day. The salespeople were running all over trying to find a stool so I could get in the truck. It was really funny. We had them installed at a truck accessory place. Dealer only had the bar type and I need flat ones. Ours are black. We did the Amorall thing once also. Not a great idea!
Happy trails..................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 06:24 AM   #18
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I have Westin Stainless steel black powder nerf bar style running boards. I like the flattened area for the rubber mats. On a previous set the rubber mat came lose and they replaced the whole piece. My wife and I need them to get into the 4x4. Without them Ann had to climb in on her knees. With her current weak condition the nerf bar are a major assist getting into the truck. I went with stainless because of the winter salt and to help prevent rusting.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 08:37 AM   #19
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
My lovely wife can get her 5'4" frame into my 4x4 Silverado with the Nerf bars. Before that she was mad as a hornet whenever we took the truck anywhere because she struggled to get inside the truck!!
Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 11:28 AM   #20
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
I have nerfs and mudflaps both from Chevy, wouldn't be without them, If I didn't have them wife would have to have a ladder to get in
Great investment, and like the picture shows, could save some serious damage
JMO
Rickety
rickety is offline   Reply With Quote