Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 10-20-2006, 07:46 PM   #1
labouttejr
Established Member

M.O.C. #5936
Grills

Did not find and threads on this subject.

My portable grill does not seem to get hot enough, it puts out 12,000btu. Sometime I like to cook with the hood up and it does not maintain the heat.

What tpye of grill do you use when out travling?
What to look for in a good long lasting grill?

labouttejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 08:44 PM   #2
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
We take a dual burner Broilking along. I cut the 4 legs and put sleeves on them so I can slide the main body of the BBQ off of the base for easy storage. The dual burner puts out about 35,000 btu's. It works great for steaks & roasts & it will just hold a Coleman griddle so great for bacon & eggs too. Haven't used the Coleman stove in years. We added a quick connect propane fitting under the edge of the trailer and hook the BBQ right up to the propane system of the trailer. No need to carry extra propane bottle.
Works for us.

J&D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 11:11 PM   #3
315RLS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1900
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by labouttejr
What tpye of grill do you use when out travling?
What to look for in a good long lasting grill?
Weber Q - Look for quality/portability
315RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 12:34 AM   #4
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
We had two cheap ones, At Walmart for 20.00 dollars we got a propane one and for 20.00 dollars we got a Small Round grill that just takes the charcoal briquets. We got a Chimney style Briquet lighter that you fill up with the briquets, crumple up two sheets of newspaper, put in the bottom compartment and light with a match. The Charcoal lights every time and in about 30 min you can pour the briquets onto your small grill or a Hibatchi and you are ready to cook.
I can cook a perfect steak on charcoal but on propane I have trouble getting the heat right. I think you can cook a good steak on a lower BTU grill if you can get the steak closer to the heat.
Donna is a great cook so we did a side by side taste test last Spring.
Two perfect Strip Loins, I cooked one on Charcoal, She cooked one on the propane grill.

It broke my heart to admit it, but the propane cooked steak was a bit tastier and she had prepared them both the same. I learned something and we had a great meal.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 03:05 AM   #5
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
I'm with 315RLS on the Weber gas grills. They make two sizes (he shows the larger of the two) and there is a fold up stand that fits both.
They have a heavy grate and get hot enough to make the food crispy along with lighting easily.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 04:43 AM   #6
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
I also use the Weber Baby Q and really like how it cooks. I have the stand and the LP kit so I can connect it to the Montana's LP tank.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 06:23 AM   #7
tmarshall
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6027
charcoal grill! small, light, inexpensive, and man does it cook a mean steak. I got a New Braunfels charcoal grill and it is awesome.
tmarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 06:47 AM   #8
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I had the same complaint with my little grille. I retired it and bought a Coleman Road Trip

20,000 Btu and comes with folding legs and a case to store it (keeps the smell out of the basement). It produces plenty of heat for our altitude, but does use a lot of gas. I would say it is more like a cooktop than a BBQ grille but makes a mean burger or steak. I got it at the local sporting goods store and saved $40 from what Camping World wanted.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 09:07 AM   #9
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
We have the Weber Baby Q and wouldn't be without it. We use it at home too!! It's easy to use and easy to clean. It gets hot enough to sear your meat - makes the meat juicy.
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 12:33 PM   #10
wswebster
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1249
Webber Q. The large one and get the stand that comes with it. Stacy
wswebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 02:17 PM   #11
dmr1021
Established Member

M.O.C. #5682
We have the Road Trip and are very happy with it. Only thing we haven't been able to do with it so far is Beer Can Chicken.
dmr1021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 02:48 PM   #12
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
My 2 cents....
Purchase a "Extend A Flow Plus" kit, Connect to curb side LP tank, drop hose out bottom of enclosure, then I just go to Wally world every 2 - 3 years depending on how these little grills look year to year and how much stuff has accumulated that I am tired of cleaning....
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 06:08 PM   #13
labouttejr
Established Member

M.O.C. #5936
Has anyone heard of the Beef Eater Grill?
What do you know and think?
or any grill that works for you.
labouttejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 06:51 PM   #14
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
We carry a Coleman Road trip for cooking coffee and breakfast. But, we always carry a "Big Green Egg" for anything that needs to be grilled, smoked or baked (including pizza). I have a small BGE that I carry in a modified garbage can. It stands upright in the basement of the Cambridge. It is great for the big community campsites. I once slo cooked three pork butts on it at the same time.

When doing a lot of running, we carry a mini BGE. It has enough room to do two Costco sized Rib eyes. This summer, I had occassion to do five racks of lamb on the mini. I seared the racks individually and could finish three at a time.

The BGE is a lump charcoal fired ceramic grill that is capable of upwards of 800 degrees for searing or long slow cooks at 200 degrees. BTW, we get rave reviews whenever we do Racks of Lamb. And, pizza is like those from wood fired brick ovens. It is really fun to engineer a meal of steaks, vadalia onion pie, roasted and marinated bell peppers all done on one BGE at a campsite. Of course it is served with home made wine but that is another story.
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 01:36 AM   #15
MikeandBarb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2332
We love our Weber Q grill. It's made well and is very sturdy unlike some cheaper grills out there.
MikeandBarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 01:44 AM   #16
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Dave, that post made my mouth water. You sound like you know how to live. We like Costco meat too and we like to buy the whole strip loin and slice our own steaks. They are great and you save a bunch of money too.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 03:31 AM   #17
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Dave and Victoria,

How much does that Big Green Egg weigh? They are pretty heavy aren't they?

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 04:35 AM   #18
toolmanroy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1745
We recently got a Road Trip Grill and like it, but we still prefer our Aussie grill (charcoal). As someone else said, we have the charcoal "chimney" to heat the coals. You can adjust the air flow and really add some smoke flavor to whatever you are cooking.
toolmanroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 03:23 PM   #19
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
Colleen, The small BGE is about 65 pounds and the Mini is about 30.
Also, to Roy and Nancy and any one else using charcoal -- try Lump style. It burms hotter, lasts longer and leaves very little ash. And, we found a plastic charcoal carrier made by kingsford. The carrier is short enough to fit below the top of the truck bed. It makes handling achrcoal a relatively unmessy job.
Don and Donna, Costco meats are the greatest except for their Racks of Lamb -- great but not the greatest.. I usually avoid Wal Mart and Sams like the plague but I have to admit the racks carried by Sams are really great. They are already frenched and ready for the grill. One package is a meal for four.
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 03:45 PM   #20
Sandymom
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5837
Dave is right about the lump charcoal and the BGE! Here at our stick house, that's all I use for grilling and it is definitely superior to regular charcoal briquettes. I currently have a BGE and would dearly love to take it with us, but the weight is just too much to handle. Even the small one would be more than I want to handle. As a result, we just bought a Weber Q100 and are very satisfied so far. Not up to BGE standards but not bad!

Mike
Sandymom is offline   Reply With Quote