Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-01-2006, 08:00 PM   #1
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Broken Ford Mirror

Well - have to stick to tradition. I just jammed the right mirror on my 06 Ford into the garage door rail and smashed the turn light. Anyone know if you can buy the signal light by itself, or am I stuck with the whole mirror?

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 09:00 PM   #2
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
Brad, I think you can buy just the turn light. When I bought my truck new it had a broken lens. the dealer ordered a new one. He said they are L.E.D and there is no bulbs to replace. I can remember asking the guy how much the new lens was, and he told me I didn't want to know.... . I remember replacing the RH mirror on my 99 F350, I think it cost $ 300.00 Can. 5 or 6 years ago.

Good luck
J&D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 03:13 AM   #3
Bluegill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6121
Sorry Brad, No help here.
I am however, waiting for the day it happens to me. Those things stick Waaaaaaaay out there.

Blue
Bluegill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 03:34 AM   #4
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Brad, buddy, I feel your pain. I have white paint on both of my mirror light lenses, I have no idea why they haven't broken yet. I must have 2 or 3" Clearance on each side. When I built my stick home, I parked my loaded service truck with the extension ladder and a stepladder on top of it, and told the rough in carpenter-"Build the house so my truck will fit!" I forgot about possibly having a giant Ford with mirrors sticking out like Alfred E. Newman's ears.
Good luck.
OH, we screwed up and ended up at Bernalillo KOA for one painful night, then on to American on the hill in Albuq.
They had a bike rally and an Oldies day yesterday, motorcycles and loud music was not what I signed on for, I've had to go to management to ask them to quiet down barking dogs twice, and I had to go next door to ask the idiots with a barking yappy poodle to get him to stop barking. What the heck are people thinking, just letting Fido outside to BARK AT EVERY LEAF THAT BLOWS BY???????? Sorry, lost if for a minute.
Must be too much coffee already this morning.
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 05:20 AM   #5
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
J&D - I was hoping someone might say that. When I saw the LED lights I crossed my fingers hoping it would be a separate and available piece. Everything else seems to be OK.

Blue and Ozz - My old 2001 Ford mirrors only folded away to the rear and I was so tickled to see the new mirrors folded both to the front and rear. Lot of good that did! I jammed it into the garage door rail where it couldn't go either way and proceeded to smash the light to pieces .

Ozz - west of I-25 along I-40 is some pretty cool Route 66 stuff there in town.
Old 10-02-2006, 08:21 AM   #6
deerrahn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4828
I guess we were lucky. We were in Wixom, Mi. June 2006, when one of the locals, being in a hurry to make a left turn light, clipped the mirror on the left side of our 2002 Ford. I had to chase him down and stop him. It shattered the large mirror. Total replacement cost at that time was $268.00. No turn signal in this model. Only the small mirror at the bottom can be replaced. This small mirror cost me $65.00 to replace from an earlier incident. I still have that small mirror in case I break another one. It would appear that Ford has a real good replacement income for them. Thank goodness my breaks both ways or it would probably bent up the door. Sometimes the not so good things turn out to be alright in the long run.
deerrahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 08:23 AM   #7
deerrahn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4828
That was 2005 not 2006. Guess my editing is not very good Have a GOOD DAY
deerrahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 02:18 PM   #8
contau lake
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2222
Brad, I had the lens on my mirror replaced last winter in Texas by the Ford Dealer...$180. I got clipped in downtown Mission!
contau lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 02:22 PM   #9
contau lake
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2222
Brad, replaced the lens on our 2004 last winter in Texas at a Ford Dealership for $180. Got clipped in downtown Mission!
contau lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 02:47 PM   #10
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
Brad you may be able to find what you need via the only web support offer by many of todays wrecking yards. I am sure there are many 05 and newer crashed vehicles in wrecking yards. Most of these sites will ship direct to you. Just a thought, but you need to compare price to a new one....sometimes these guys can be pricey.

Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 03:55 PM   #11
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
I need to replace the driver's side tow mirror as someone struck it while I was visiting my daughter in Pennsylvania. My insurance called it a collision rather than covering it under comprehensive. Of course whoever did it did not stop. $500.00 deductible!!! Anyway, I'm not going to file a claim and see if I can find one on the internet. I was able to get a piece of the plexiglas mirror sold in the automotive section at Walmart and have rigged a temporary replacement, but the electric portion is broken too.
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 04:12 PM   #12
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Thank you all for the responses -

I never expected to hear of so many mirrors that were broken by other cars! I thought once I learned how to back up out of the garage I'd be safe, but evidently not.

Sounds like I can get the light only, but $180 ! Native Tex, I may try some of those websites and see what I can come up with.

Brad
Old 10-02-2006, 04:33 PM   #13
jrjones
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4858
I trashed mine on the drivers side. Cost around $70 or $80. Looked at replcing it my self but had it in for warrenty wook and they did it for me. There are 3 or4 clips that hold it. If the clip breaks its new mirror time. Lot more money. The outer part holds the led part and thats what I broke on a gate post while backing in the monty.
jrjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 05:18 PM   #14
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Thanks JR - guess I better take it apart to see what is salvageable. Hardest part will be getting the mirror popped out without breaking it. If I remember right from my old one, the screws are behind the mirror.

Brad