Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 03-27-2015, 06:47 AM   #1
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
Black Tank Shut Off Valve Replacement

Our remote 3 inch shut off valve to the main black tank will not shut off completely (liquid will drain, solids will not). This is on a 2009 3400RL Monty with tanks in the drop frame in front. Has anyone had experience in replacing this valve? Is it a bolt in type or a cemented in type? Is the operating cable a 72 inch?
Any help or advise would be helpful. Thanks Ellis

8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 07:51 AM   #2
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
Once you get to it, 4 bolts and cable. Drain as much as possible, bucket catches remaining stuff YOU HOPE. Good luck.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 10:40 AM   #3
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
The Valve slides in between two Flanges with 4 thru bolts do not over tighten. The trick is to be sure both rubber seals go in properly I tack it in place with a little silicone the day before just to keep in place. I believe their are installation videos on line. What you are describing sounds like debris is on the valve and not allowing it to close or seal. I would try flushing and working the valve back and forth. Does not sound like a defective valve good luck
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 11:58 AM   #4
Sundogette
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13254
Our first trip after we purchased Priscilla (truck is Elvis), (1 year old, private party purchase), Pete was dumping the tanks. Pulled the handle for the back water, and the handle came off in his hand....not a good thing! Tanks were full and we were on the move! Our tanks have a cable system. He was able to pull the cable with a vise grip and dump, somehow he managed to shove it back in. While we were enroute to our next destination, I got onto this forum and read about others having the same problems. We also called our local Montana dealer and got some great advice, the service manager thought that since we were able to close the valve, all we needed was the cable and handle assembly.

Luckily he was right, we found the assembly at a local rv store. Main pain factor was unloading the front storage, removing the compartment dividers, digging thru the insulation to locate the tank and cable assembly. Less than $75.00, a few hours, lots of sweat and swearing, the job was finished, and we were back in the road. Probably took longer to replace the dividers and reload the storage.
Sundogette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 06:43 AM   #5
MP1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13966
I am not sure if this will help you or not. We have a 2014 Montana (named Snowbird). When I used to closed the black tank...the drainage never fully shut off..which meant that I used to get a small amount of drainage all over me and my shoes! I solved this by ordering an RV check value from Amazon.com which fits snugly over the top of my black tank dump pipe. By opening and closing the shut off control valve... the dumping effort much more to my liking.
MP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 08:15 AM   #6
bethandkevin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12331
I suspect you may have some TP stuck in the knife valve groove. This was the case with ours last year. It's not a difficult, albeit a dirty repair. To limit drainage, I made sure the nose was way down and the rear as high as possible to shift any remaining waste to the front of the tank. Removal of the valve requires no special tools. Good luck.
bethandkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 01:54 PM   #7
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Couldn't have said it better. Do what Kevin suggests.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 07:13 PM   #8
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
Thanks for the many experiences and help. Right now the project will have to wait till later this summer as time is a problem. I also understand that Keystone used 2 different brand name valves; one was valtera and the other was ? Will have to remove the valve first and then hope a supplier has one on the shelf. Looks like the remote cable is not detachable at the valve resulting in the complete assembly being replaced which adds to fun accessing/removing the cable in the basement area!!
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 12:56 AM   #9
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

I am about to do the extensive inspection I do every year and I am considering putting the black tank dump handle thru the frame on the curb side of the trailer like the galley tank dump handle on the street side. It may be a little inconvenient but I believe it will be easier to pull and push. Wife is normally on that side of the trailer when we dump anyway.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 01:58 AM   #10
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Before tearing out your underbelly and going that route, I would snap on a Flush King and start back flushing your black tank with it. Prior to leaving for Florida this year I thought my black gate valve had malfunctioned the same way. I put my Flush King back on and started doing several back flushes every week. After about 2 weeks whatever was stuck in the grooves of the black gate valve must have dislodged because now it works like it was new again.

That is another reason I am a big fan of using the Flush King instead of the internal black tank flush.
Old 04-15-2015, 12:55 AM   #11
MHC305RL
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #15946
We have the same problem but ours is brand new. We gone done with our walkthrough at the dealer and went to set up at a local KOA. The next morning, when I took the cap off the discharge pipe, about a gallon of water came out. I have 1 black tank and 1 gray tank valve handle in the convenience center along with another gray tank valve further back on the frame. The 2 gray tank valve handles have a solid feel to them when closed but the black tends to push back a little like a oring is out of place or something. I don't believe I have some trash in the valve because it has done this from the get go. Yesterday at home I opened the cap on the discharge pipe again and now about a gallon of "water" and some toilet paper came out.

I would love to know it is a simple fix that I could just handle at home, but it sounds like something to let the dealer know about and tank care of.
MHC305RL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 02:18 AM   #12
bethandkevin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12331
A little "spring" in the handle when closing is exactly how it will feel with something blocking full closure of the valve.
bethandkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 03:39 PM   #13
Charli
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14048
We have similar problem with both the grey and black handles in the convenience centre having spring. The grey seems to seal properly but the black does let some liquid thru. Still under warranty and will be taking back to the dealer with our list of other little problems.
Charli is offline   Reply With Quote