Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 01-19-2007, 11:22 AM   #1
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
How far is your vacuum outlet off the floor?

I just got a Dirt Devil Central Vacuum...I was out doing a little layout work to see what works best. I have the option of either having it close to the floor like an elec. outlet nearby, or having it 16 inches off the floor above said outlet.
It may sound silly to consider how far a person has to bend over to hook it up, but down next to the floor is a more tidy install inside the cabinet area.
If I had it raised, I would need to use a hose from the outlet to the vacuum and it would be more convenient to use, but I loose a little space inside the cabinet to configure it.
I have the parts to go either way already in hand.

Which would you do? I don't know how far off the floor they are usually installed.

Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 11:48 AM   #2
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
My brother has bad knees and has a hard time bending down...he says to put it high.
Old 01-19-2007, 12:06 PM   #3
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
I just went out and checked ours and the center of hose outlet is 17 1/2" and bottom of unit is 2" from the floor. The height of the outlet seems good to us.
nailbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 01:07 PM   #4
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Ozzie,

Go for the convenience, it won't change the performance at all. Our stick house has them even with the outlets, but the garage one is countertop height.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 01:46 PM   #5
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Ozzie, I have one in my 3400, but will be moving it up further in same cabinet to install a Grainger heater below. This way I can maximize the space. This was an OZZ mod. I just hope that thing sucks as I have a golden retriever and he is a hair producing machine during the summer!!!!! Luv him though....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 01:51 PM   #6
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Thanks guys...I think I can see where this is headed...so now I'll need to find a mounting solution as the unit will no longer be laying on the floor (on a 1/4 piece of dense foam) with easy access brackets.
I surely won't be able to mount to that 1/4 inch paneling inside the cabinet (interior wall).
I think I'll pull the covers off to see if I can use some L brackets and screws. I'd have to put new screws through the case to do it that way.

EDIT - just saw your post Phil...I was looking at Ozz's mod too. That looks like a good one. Be careful though - if you follow him too close he's gonna cost you...LOL
Old 01-19-2007, 02:04 PM   #7
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Ozzie, I just made a frame around the new location for the vacuum from 1x2's, screwed it to that. it doesn't care where it is, just stand back and visualize where you want it.
Good mod, bud.
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 03:11 PM   #8
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Hey Ozz...

In our rig, the central location is under the tv cabinet. The vacuum outlet will be almost dead center fore and aft.
I just went out and finished my layout, and will need to use an extension hose between the outlet and the vacuum. In order to keep the bend in that hose from being too sharp, I had to lay the unit on the floor across the rear of the cabinet. Since the unit has a bar across the side on the floor for mounting brackets, I made up some dense foam spacers (three layers with a groove in the middle).
This got me thinking (more trouble ), this unit makes a LOT of noise...maybe I can mount this without screws direct to the trailer. It'll be sitting on dense foam already, and I can use some TV Super Grips to hold it in place. I just happen to have a few on hand...
Of course it's cold out here, so we'll see how that goes. Adhesives don't do well in the cold.

Tomorrow I'll pull out the roto zip (where'd I put it now)...and I'll take a couple pics just to show my idea.

Old 01-20-2007, 01:36 AM   #9
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Cool, we will be in the wings waiting.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 02:52 AM   #10
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Arrgghh! -8 degrees out this morning...maybe this afternoon will be better (all the way to 26).
I'm not in THAT much of a hurry, the hard part is done aleady...