Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Insurance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-23-2023, 08:33 AM   #1
TDeakins
Established Member

M.O.C. #27981
Good Sam / NGIC-Integon / Allstate

When we first began full-time RV’ing almost 4 years ago, we signed-up with a Good Sam agency who wrote us a policy with NGIC (and affiliate, Integon). Shortly after, our new 5th wheel hitch failed after 25 miles of mountain towing and damaged truck and trailer. The response from our agent and the two - one for the truck and one for the trailer - was 95% perfection. Found out later, though, that they coded this single incident as two “at fault” claims. Since then, NGIC was purchased by Allstate. I know Allstate from multiple perspectives, although never knowingly as a customer … until now. My view of Allstate has been and remains that they gladly take your money while organized around business model that denies claims as their 1st response forcing policy holders to work through a complicated protest process. So, we recently encountered an object in the road on I-40 which ripped one of our suspension hangers off the frame leaving the leaf springs swinging freely. We had a new one welded and bolted back to the frame and submitted a claim for $1,580 to NGIC. At first, the claims adjuster said that it would be processed quickly and a check sent promptly. A few days later, the adjuster called to say that the claim was essentially denied. She sent me an email stating that denial was based on the damage being faulty maintenance and/ or “component failure” … no has been able to explain why that would be a just cause for denial. My heretofore agent is clearly dodging my phone calls and the claims desk has not been forthcoming with answers to my questions. So … why the difference in response between this claim and the previous? Allstate … what can I say.

TDeakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 06:46 PM   #2
brycesteiner
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #33140
TD what was the final result on this? something in the highway that causes damage is in no way a fault of maintenance that I can think of.
brycesteiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 09:29 PM   #3
Rotnjonny
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #32150
Having worked in the automotive repair industry for the last 40+ years and dealing with the insurance industry claims process, I suspect what has occurred is as follows: leaf spring brackets are a known issue in the RV industry and have failed due to “non accident” related issues. The insurance industry will be very aware of this. As such, they are declining coverage.

If there is evidence of impact of a foreign object around the hanger / bracket where you can show the damage was caused by that impact, you may get the claim paid.
Rotnjonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 11:01 PM   #4
TDeakins
Established Member

M.O.C. #27981
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotnjonny View Post
Having worked in the automotive repair industry for the last 40+ years and dealing with the insurance industry claims process, I suspect what has occurred is as follows: leaf spring brackets are a known issue in the RV industry and have failed due to “non accident” related issues. The insurance industry will be very aware of this. As such, they are declining coverage.

If there is evidence of impact of a foreign object around the hanger / bracket where you can show the damage was caused by that impact, you may get the claim paid.
While what I observed as damage to the area around the bracket indicated some sort of impact and not simply “wear and tear” as well as the initial response from the adjuster and the assessment by the repair tech, the response from Good Sam would be difficult to contest. So, I ate this one. I’ve since hedged my risk going forward by purchasing a Good Sam maintenance policy.
Old 01-17-2024, 11:03 PM   #5
TDeakins
Established Member

M.O.C. #27981
I ate the cost. Too difficult to prove otherwise although I and the repair tech as well as the initial assessment by the adjuster were in agreement that the damage was impact related.
Old 01-18-2024, 07:48 AM   #6
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
We broke a leaf spring hanger last year. Had a local Mobil welder put it back on.
As mentioned above this is a common failure due to flexing as you negotiate tight turns, especially backing into a 90⁰ site.
On my "to do" list is to install these reinforcement brackets.

I believe new rigs come with them already installed?
Can someone confirm, AND are they installed on ALL the leaf spring hangers or just the forward and aft ones on each side?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Suspension Leaf spring hanger reinforcement 3.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	332.9 KB
ID:	16326   Click image for larger version

Name:	Suspension Leaf spring hanger reinforcement 1.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	256.0 KB
ID:	16327   Click image for larger version

Name:	LCI leaf spring hanger support suspension.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	186.5 KB
ID:	16328  
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 04:00 AM   #7
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
They are not on my 2019, but I have seen the Lippert bulletin you show there.
Had to have the rear hanger on my door side removed and welded back on last year. It was 6 inches out of alignment. The mobile welder did a great job but did not put the reinforcements in. I guess that's in my future too.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2024, 08:37 PM   #8
LeftOverParts
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #32230
Responging to Daryles question re hanger bracket locations. A couple pictures taken today of 2024 Montanas at the RV show in Quarzsite. First picture is of one side but shows they are installed on all 3 hangers. Second picture shows the bracket on a front axle and the brace above the hanger on the I-beam.

Note the Lipper angles have holes and are bent larger than 90 degrees (the Lippert drawing above shows 108 degrees). I bought a set recently from Lippert (about $7 each plus shipping) and they also look like the ones in these pictures (but are unpainted). To make sure they will fit, I did a sketch of my hangers and angles, and confirmed the angles will fit like these in the pictures - about 3/4 inch - 1 inch above the spring shackle. (I think older models have longer hangers.)

Have not installed them yet. Planning to get quotes from mobil welders and trailer shops.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2024 Montana with V-Clip Supports.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	167.6 KB
ID:	16333   Click image for larger version

Name:	2024 Montana with V-Clip Support Front Axle.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	188.2 KB
ID:	16334  
LeftOverParts is offline   Reply With Quote