Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-04-2008, 08:39 AM   #21
c5racer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #444
Looking at the pictures, it shows a curbside bedroom slide. Maybe I'm seeing things, but I have never seen a Montana with a bedroom slide by the entrance door.

c5racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 09:22 AM   #22
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
c5racer

a front living room model (no longer made) had 2 opposing slides in the front, over the king pin.

the bedroom was in the very back.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 11:41 AM   #23
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Those pictures are not fun to look at.

There but for the Grace of God go any one of us.

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 11:47 AM   #24
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by OntMont

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Y-ASK

I wonder if it had been connected to the Tow Vehicle if they would have had the same result. I think maybe the added weight might have kept it a little more stable. Just a thought...
It might have helped, who knows? That particular model has three slides on one side (the lee side in this case) and only one small one on windward side, it is a front LR model, not sure about the model number, it was not visible.
Sounds like a center of gravity imbalance contributed to the flip if all the weight was on the leeward side. Were the rear stabilizer jacks out?
Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 12:39 PM   #25
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
It is an '04 model 3685FL, and yes the rear stabilizers were down.

The owners were really pleased with how well the trailer stood up to being overturned. The actual frame box was intact, not even a broken window! Have you ever thought about what happens to the contents of the waste tanks in that situation? ...not pleasant.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 01:23 PM   #26
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
OntMont,

I would never have thought about the contents of the holding tanks! Not a pretty picture (or smell)! The body did look like it was fairly intact but the bottom sure looked torn up.

Glad yours stayed upright and thanks for the great pics.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 04:54 PM   #27
txkrumm
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5920
We have the same model, Front Living. We had some terrible winds out here in CA on Sunday; jokingly told my co-worker he might have to come "help me upright" the camper after such fierce winds. Never had any idea my joke held merit....scary!
t
txkrumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 05:36 PM   #28
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Send a message via AIM to RC and Samantha Send a message via Yahoo to RC and Samantha
Wow! How awful and how wonderful the owners we're OK, well minus the stitch or two. And to think that their friends Cougar got destroyed too, all in short order.

Never thought about the holding tanks either. Icky pooh, no pun intended. Geeze Louise...sadly sounds like a totaled result is the best possible outcome.

Good, well not good, but informative to know Good Sam's road side service does not help with this. I imagine their regular RV insurance is the one who's gonna foot the bill. I'd be checking to see if there is temporary coverage for a shelter allowance for them.

The photos were amazing, thanx for sharing OntMont.

Patty
RC and Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 08:11 AM   #29
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Scary. I've seen one (an Avion FW) blown over by a tornado with no serious damage. The major damage was done in uprighting the trailer afterwards.

I checked with our insurance agent. We'd be covered under Comprehensive. However, I wonder if there would be coverage for those who have their fifthwheel insurance as a rider on their tow vehicle policy?
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 09:03 AM   #30
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Question was asked earlier about camp grounds having tie downs -- I asked this very question way back when we first started RV'g and my wife and I both remember being told that there was no way to tie down the 5er -- mobile homes have straps running over their roofs (under the siding and roofing (and have steel/cross beams under their roofs) that provide a tie-down. Nothing like that on our 5er. Guess you could put some heavy duty eye bolts into the frame and tie down that way but nothing is really available that would secure the whole rig down.

The way that structure held up on being flipped over says something for the welded alumninum cage though.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 10:24 AM   #31
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
ouch
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 12:42 PM   #32
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I'm starting another thread on tie downs.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 12:50 PM   #33
rgreynolds
Established Member

M.O.C. #8217
Send a message via MSN to rgreynolds
I wonder if bringing the slide-outs in would have kept it from toppling over.
rgreynolds is offline   Reply With Quote