Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-01-2005, 02:52 AM   #1
Garin1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2773

Hello everyone, I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas. Ours was great as we purchased a new 3650 rk for Christmas. My name is Gary Ferritti, I am a electrician by trade and trvel extensively around the country in my tradecraft. I am currently working in IRAQ(home on leave) and will most likely be there for some time yet. Our home is in Louisiana. The wifes name is Linda. We have five grown children, five grandchildren and one great grandchild. The wife also works and is living in the new Montana in Texas on another job. She is an administrative assistant for a large construction firm.
This is not our first fifth wheel. Our first was a 30 ft Couger. It is a great rv but quickly grew to small for the both of us. The new Montana is wonderful and we both love the full kitchen. What will they think of next. I have a small dilemma now, my old truck will not pull the new trailer so I will be looking for advise on a new one ton truck. Any input will be greatly appreciated.
God Bless and hope to see you on the road some time in this marvelous country of ours.

Garin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 03:44 AM   #2
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Hi Gary,

Welcome to the MOC Forum!

You will find lots of advice here, in fact you might try doing a search on trucks, and see what has been said in the past. The usual conclusion seems to be that as long as you get a truck big enough for the task, any of the current crop from the big 3 will serve you well.

As an electrician, I'm sure you will be able to contribute much to the discussions on electrical matters that come up from time to time.

We are currently at home in Ontario, Canada, but will be heading south to Texas via Gulf Shores, AL (where our trailer is wintering) and head through MS and LA to our destination in the Rio Grande valley.

Again, welcome and feel free to ask any questions and join in with your own contributions.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 03:52 AM   #3
palebluedot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #36
Welcome Gary and Linda to the MOC & congrats on the new 3650RK. We met two great couples last year in Piegon Forge from Thibodaux. They were not Montana owners but were loads of fun. As for a tow vehicle, definately get a 1 ton for that size rig and my choice is a dually for the stability. I love the Dodge/Cummins but any of the big 3 would be a good choice. I think all the teething issues with the new diesel engines have been resolved by now. Good luck on the new rig(s) and hope you safe return from Iraq. Happy camping !!!
palebluedot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 03:59 AM   #4
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Welcome Gary and Linda. Glad to see you joining in the forum. Good luck on your truck hunting.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 06:42 AM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Welcome aboard, Gary and Linda. And thanks for what you're doing in Iraq! May your time there be productive and bring you back safely.

As for trucks, I posted in your other thread so my response here will be abbreviated. Any of the big three diesels, V10 gassers (Ford and Dodge) or 8.1L V8 gasser (GM) will do an excellent job for you. As for 1-ton or not, lots of folks tow even the biggest Montanas with 3/4 ton without problem. In some cases they add airbags if the rear sags a little. Others haven't needed it. We towed ours (13,980 lbs actual) with a '99 F350 V10 and it did a great job. Then towed it with an '03 F350 6.0L PowerStroke diesel and it was even better (like wow). Now have a 3/4 ton F250 (2005) with the diesel. Haven't towed with it yet (not until this coming Tuesday) but since the 2005 F250 ratings are higher than last year's F350 by a considerable margin, I expect it to do just as sweet a job as the F350. What I'm trying to say is the new Ford 3/4 ton is stronger than most 1-tons, so I don't think we can any longer say 1 ton is better than 3/4 ton unless we restrict that comment to a single model year. Just my opinion but based on the numbers.

Good luck. Be sure to let us know your decision. And please be careful in Iraq!
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 02:29 PM   #6
Just148
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1043
Welcome to forum and congratulations on your new Montana. Stay safe.
Just148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 03:28 AM   #7
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
Welcome to the forum and may God watch over you as you carry out your duties in Iraq and bring you home safely.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 03:27 PM   #8
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Welcome aboard the MOC. I won't get into the truck advice game. All I can say is do the math on weights and towing. You won't get a lot of nastiness about trucks or the argument on 3/4-ton vs. 1-ton on the MOC. On some of the other forums I find that venom flows freely. A truck is just a truck--not a measure of a man's worth.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote