Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 07-24-2007, 12:46 PM   #1
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
Reno to Banff - Is US 95 the best way?

We're headed to Banff in a few weeks, and US 95 looks like a good choice for getting there. Does anyone have any comments on this route, especially through northern Idaho? It looks like we'll take 195 up to Spokane and over 90 to 95, since it looks straighter and quicker, and we haven't been to Spokane in a long time.

How about Canada 93 between route 95 and route 1? I see that it is a scenic byway, but will Sharon be able to have her eyes open long enough to appreciate it?

Bob

firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 02:14 PM   #2
bruiser
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6319
Welcome to Canada

Not sure if you are heading for the town of Banff or to Banff National Park in general. The route you have outlined - North on 95 in Idaho, crossing at the Kingsgate border crossing, on to Cranbrook and then North on 93/95 - is one that I have travelled many times. It's the shortest distance from Spokane.

If you want to reach the town of Banff in the shortest time, turn right at the Radium Junction (93). The first few miles are a steep climb into the mountains and the last few miles before joining highway 1 are a steep descent. No problem for the Volvo. It is a very good 2 lane highway with passing lanes on the steep parts and very scenic.

Your alternate route would be to continue north on 95 to Golden and then head east on Highway 1 to Banff. This route is about 1 1/2 hours longer. Good way to go if you plan on seeing more of the park. Once past Golden and heading east, the scenery is quite impressive. You will pass Lake Louise - a must see. At Lake Louise is the junction of highway 93 north to the Columbia Ice Fields and Jasper.

Highway 95 between Radium and Golden is a little more twisty (best word I could think of) than the 93 between Radium and Banff, but not a bad drive. At this time of year, Highway 1 near Golden is prone to closure due to occasional mud slides caused by the snow melt - It just re-opened this morning after a slide yesterday. You say you are coming in a few weeks so the slide problem should be over by then.

Whether you are just going the Banff townsite or plan on seeing more of the park you can count on some incredible scenery.

Funny thing - I live 80 miles away from Banff in Calgary and don't spend near the time I'd like to in the mountains.

Enjoy

Bruce
bruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 02:22 PM   #3
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
Hi way 93 is a nice drive lots of mountains, rivers and lakes. You will pass Radium Hot springs. This area is the headwaters of the Columbia and Kootenay Rivers. This East Kootenay area of B.C. is very scenic and one of my favorite parts of our province
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 07:43 PM   #4
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
Thanks for the information, Bruce and Don. You're right about the Volvo not being bothered by either the up or down, and even Sharon is a lot more comfortable with them when she's in Big Red. It sounds like it's going to be a beautiful drive.

We're going to be staying at Tunnel Mountain for five days before going on to Calgary for a week. We missed Lake Louise and the Columbia ice fields the last time we were there, but not this time.

I was hoping that 93 would be able to save me some time and gas over 95, and it sounds like the savings will be significant.

Bob
Old 07-24-2007, 10:42 PM   #5
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
Quote:
quote:firetrucker Posted - Jul 24 2007 : 6:46:26 PM
We're headed to Banff in a few weeks, and US 95 looks like a good choice for getting there. Does anyone have any comments on this route, especially through northern Idaho? It looks like we'll take 195 up to Spokane and over 90 to 95, since it looks straighter and quicker, and we haven't been to Spokane in a long time.

How about Canada 93 between route 95 and route 1? I see that it is a scenic byway, but will Sharon be able to have her eyes open long enough to appreciate it?
Bob, how are you coming up out out Reno to get to 195? I would recommend that once you get to I84, that you go up to I82(which is also US395)through the Tri-Cities(Richland/Kennewick/Pasco) north to I90 and onto Spokane, unless you wanted to go through the towns along 195. US395 in WA is a good route to Spokane.

US95 in southern Idaho is not the way to go. It takes you through all of the little towns. It is a 2 lane highway, very accident prone. US95 north from Coeur d'Alene, ID to Canada is also accident prone, but has passing lanes.

Don't buy diesel in WA if you can. There is a Flying J just across the stateline this side of Post Falls.($2.95)

If you need more info, just ask. Hope to see you and Sharon as you come through Spokane.

DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 07:05 AM   #6
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Bob and Sharon,

Wish we were back up there! It is too hot down here. We thought about taking that route into Canada but opted for Sumas instead. That was because we were at Dick and Toni's. I've heard that that route is beautiful. You certainly will have no trouble with Big Red. By the way.... 395 is a good road all the way. Don't know if you've ever taken it north of Reno or not?

Have fun and don't forget Drumheiler. Also if you have time go south out of Calgary and hit Waterton International Peace Park. There is a beautiful park right in town. I'm sure you'll need reservations at that time of year. The campground is part of the park.

We stayed at a commercial park just outside the park boundaries but would stay in town the next time.

Enjoy.

Dennis and Mary Kay
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 09:12 AM   #7
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
I agree with Dennis. Waterton Lakes is one of our very favorite National Parks. You can cross back into the US right there and come out at Glacier National Park. That one is our favorite. Wow, I wish we were going with you. I'm jealous.

Helen

adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 06:13 AM   #8
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
Well, with your advice, Don and Dennis, a litle more time on the maps, and some input from Sharon, I have pretty much decided (better make that absolutely decided) to take 395 up to Spokane. We've travelled that route up to Susanville, and once out towards Alturas when I hadn't checked my route before leaving home, quite a few times over the years. I suspect the repairs south of Susanville have pretty much been completed since the Spring, which will be a great improvement in the ride.

Now it's up to Sharon to find places to stay as soon as I tell her about how far 350 miles puts us. (On checking, I see that one stop puts us in Pendleton, Oregon. I think I know what's going to happen.)

Thanks for your input, guys.

We'll be coming back down I-15 on the way home, with a stop in Yellowstone and Jackson. This is pretty much the same route we took when we came back the last time. We saw the signs for the Peace Park, but were so intent (well, I was so intent) on getting home that we blew right past it. Dennis, we've arranged to stay at Drumheller for a couple of days after we leave Calgary. Staying in Banff for five days before the conference will give us time to do all the days trips in the park that we missed the last time, too.

Bob
Old 07-26-2007, 09:35 AM   #9
bruiser
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6319
Here's some more information on things to see in this area.

While in Calgary, if you have the time, you may want to visit Heritage Park. Check it out at www.heritagepark.ca.

We also have an excellent zoo here in Calgary. Check it out at www.calgaryzoo.org.

I see that you are going to spend some time in Drumheller. A must see is the Tyrrell Museum of Paleontology. Check it out at www.tyrrellmuseum.com.

On your way south after leaving Calgary, if you are heading down Highway 2 - which is the quickest way to the I15 - you will be driving right past "Head Smashed In Buffalo Jump" about 2 hours south of Calgary. Check it out at www.head-smashed-in.com

Hope this info is useful to you

Enjoy your stay here.

Bruce
bruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 10:55 AM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Waterton Lakes NP is Gorgeous!! We loved it. We haven't done Banff yet but that is on our must see list. Have a great trip!

A couple of pictures from Waterton Lakes NP..

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 07:01 PM   #11
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
Hi Bob,

If you are staying in Tunnel Mountain, don't leave your awning up when you leave your unit. The area is prone to get short but very powerful thunderstorms in the afternoons & evenings. Was there once when (in 10 minutes) every tent & cooler and whatever (that was tide down or not) was blown up against the snow fence .
was quite a site .
The snow fence saved a lot of people from completely loosing ever thing.
But it is a gorgeous place to stay .

J&D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 07:52 PM   #12
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
Thanks for the warning, John. We stayed there qute a few years ago, and I'm not sure we ever put the awning out then. It's become almost automatic to do it now, so I'll leave myself a note to leave very little out, and make sure all is in before we do any day trips.

Bob