Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 07-15-2006, 07:06 AM   #1
Wagonmaster
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3754
Clean or Dirty?

How often do you have a chance to wash the Monty while on the road? We wash and wax it about every two months at home, but now that we will be hitting the road, I was wondering about the washing aspect. I know that most camp grounds won't allow it. Do you use the truck stop washes or are they too hard on the decals as I've heard? Some one was saying they had seen a mobile rv washing van that came around and would wash the rigs for about $50. Maybe the campgrounds just don't want you using their water and making a mess. Is there a wipe on wipe off that works fairly well? Sorry about all these questions, just wondering.. Janet

Wagonmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 07:25 AM   #2
syplace
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1666
Our campground in Del Rio, Tx allows washing of vehicles. We wash within one week of arriving in Oct. and about a week before we leave in March.
And if absolutely necessary we will do it as needed.
syplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 07:30 AM   #3
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
I think it’s the water usage at the CGs that prohibit washing. Due, probably, by the many anal folks who think they have to wash their rigs at least once a week, if not more, even without having been on the road. It’s one thing to need to remove road dirt and bugs. It’s quite another to get upset when some light dust lands on the rig.

Making an admission, if the CG’s rules state, “No Washing,” I sometimes will just wait until dark and wash off the nosepiece if bugs have been splattered on it, and we’re not going to be moving for a while. I don’t bother if we’re only staying a couple of days, because it’s just going to get more bugs, anyway. Same goes for accumulated dirt on the back windows.

If I feel a need to wash the entire thing, I’ll go ask the CG staff if I could pay a fee to use the water to clean it off. We’ve come across a CG or two where that’s possible. One actually had it in their printed rules that they handed us when we paid. Others may go by that pay-for-washing rule, but just haven’t memorialized it in the printed rules. Asking can’t hurt.

Thankfully, the CG we’ve been in for months, now, has no such rules, and allows for cleaning of both the Monty and the TV.

I paid a guy here at this CG to do mine, after seeing him doing a few other rigs. Only $10/hour, and he did a fantastic job!

I’ve never tried one of those truck washes. I’m guessing they’d be fine. If you’re going to have decal problems at them, you’re having “decal problems,” period. (Unless of course, the pressure is far higher at those things than it is at the many car washes that use pressure hoses.) I’ve also seen the mobile RV wash vans at some CGs. They must know the rules at the various CGs. At least I’d think so. But it would be worth asking staff, just to avoid possibly wasting a “house call” fee.

Because my washing is mostly due to heavy dirt piling on, I’ve not used the wipe-on/wipe-off things that are probably available. (Saw signs for some “Dry Wash” product here in this camp, but never inquired. Felt it might open me up to what I call an “Amway Ambush” at some time!)

Steve
Montana_1240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 07:40 AM   #4
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Janet, it costs us $100 to get the rig washed and waxed in south Texas. It is difficult to keep it clean when you're on the move as many campgrounds don't allow the water consumption.

We're hoping one of the vendors at the Fall Rally will be able to present his Dry and Wash product, so they are available.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 08:21 AM   #5
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Janet,

Just as with the difference in campgrounds and facilities, so is the difference about rules about washing. Al has had good luck with approaching the owner/manager and asking permission to wash that nose cone, stating he will NOT let the water run constantly, just squirt the nose, clean and then rinse the nose.

As Judy said, in the RGV in Texas you can get it cleaned, and so far the 3 campgrounds we have stayed in down there will allow you to wash upon arrival (or once while there). Many even so state in the paper work they hand you when you check in.

As well as tremendous water useage to wash one of these monsters, campgrounds are concerned about the water logged campsites. If you pull in, wash and use a TON of water, and then leave the next AM, the person who next gets that campsite will have a mucky mess to live with till it dries out. (yea, I know, what about natural rain, etc.), Anyway, it was explained to us that way once.

I have seen guys that just HAVE to wash thier unit and residing in severely restricted campsites take a bucket, and do a very small area each day. They don't rinse with a hose, just with a clean rag.

Not sure we would use a truck wash, but the minute I say something like that Al comes along and surprises me. I would be very concerned about the power wash and the decals.

Janet - - - When do you guys hit the road????

Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 09:18 AM   #6
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
We bought a no water wash and shine at CW several years ago. It worked well and Ed used it on the truck as well. I don't remember the name but it was in a big jug and then there was a spray bottle. We went to use it on our last trip and it was thick and yucky so we threw it out. Too old I guess.
Happy trails........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 01:36 PM   #7
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
At both RV parks that we wintered at the past 2 years did allow washing the rig and truck with no restrictions on how often, I usually washed the Monty when we got there in November and again in Jan or Feb and again just before we hit the road. On the road the campgrounds vary from #1- absolutely no washing of rigs, #2- having certain areas where you can take the rig or my favorite #3- wash away just don't abuse it. As far as cleaning the bug spattered nose where washing isn't allowed, I'll just use a sponge, a pail of water and a towel to dry the nose as I go from top to bottom. No campground has ever complained about a pail of water.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote