Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-16-2006, 05:09 PM   #1
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Draw Tite Brake Controller (Activator II)

Anyone have any experience with this brand??? The truck came with this. Looks fully operational, although I haven't had a wiring harness hooked up yet. The LED lights up when I apply the brakes w/o towing, so I am assuming that means it is waiting for a connection to start operating, and that it will be fully functional. right?

I also have no book on it, but as I type here, it dawns on me that I could probably go to Draw Tite's website.

dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 05:49 PM   #2
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Dave,

Check this page out. Seems to be what you need.

http://p.hostingprod.com/@drawtite.com/N5500.pdf

Steve
Montana_1240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 06:07 PM   #3
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks, Steve! I will make sure all my controls are functional tomorrow. Is this an adequate controller for the 3400?
Old 06-16-2006, 06:11 PM   #4
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Dave-
The link that Steve gives is the same instruction book that I carry in the truck with me. I have had this exact brake controller for over ten years and it is in the third truck. You are right about the LED lighting up. When hooked up the display will read voltage to the trailer brakes. Only time I had any doubts about the controller was not a controller problem. The display was showing OL and I had no trailer brakes. The Montana was brand new and I was one of the ones that suffered with the retaining clip coming loose on the curb side rear axle brake magnet and shorting out the trailer brakes. This controller has served me very well and am quite happy with it.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 06:23 PM   #5
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks, Charlie! That's very reassuring.
Old 06-16-2006, 06:23 PM   #6
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Dave,

Glad to be of assistance!

Do you think your truck's pretty much pre-wired for hanging a harness on it, back under the bed? I forget if you mentioned if it came with a "Tow Package," or something like it.

Have you thought about where you want to have your harness plug positioned, yet?

If not, maybe you can start a hate-filled, negative-laden, bare-knuckle thread about what folks think is a good position, according to their experiences!

Steve
Montana_1240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 08:27 PM   #7
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I had the Draw Tite in my 1st truck and hated it, I switched to the Tekonsha Voyager and love it. I do not have any more brakes "clacking" when the brake pedal is applied. This happened alot especially at low speeds. With the Tekonsha I let off the pedal and do not hear anything from the trailer brakes.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 02:16 AM   #8
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Gyro

Dave,

Glad to be of assistance!

Do you think your truck's pretty much pre-wired for hanging a harness on it, back under the bed? I forget if you mentioned if it came with a "Tow Package," or something like it.

Have you thought about where you want to have your harness plug positioned, yet?

If not, maybe you can start a hate-filled, negative-laden, bare-knuckle thread about what folks think is a good position, according to their experiences!

Steve
Charlie, the truck has a gooseneck hitch that the former owner used occassionally for townig flatbed or conxtruction trailer.

Otherwise, I'd try your suggestion... But then I haven't had my coffee yet this morning...
Old 06-17-2006, 02:21 AM   #9
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Dave, I'll watch for this, but this seems to be a new controller. Hopefully they have resolved this issue? Or maybe it could have been something particular to your controller? I would think that something like that would be very annoying and that if more than just a rare occassional issue of this sort, I would imagine it would have triggered a recall? Maybe not, though... I sure will be alert for it. Thanks.