Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 06-05-2006, 07:22 PM   #1
FredG
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1309
NYS Thruway Tolls

Well, it seems like New York is at it again....

When going to and from the Northeast rally, we were given 4H tickets. This means 4 axle, high vehicle. As of last year, 5th wheels towed by pickups were classified as 4L (Low vehicle). The difference in cost is quite high, Albany (I-87 entrance) to Rochester (I-390) would have been 31.50! Last year, as a 4L, that was around $14.
Luckily, we planned on only using a short section of the Thruway. But, this information may affect any MOC member traveling across New York.

I did some research on the thruway website...well, they did away with the 4L classification for 5th wheel RVs. It is still listed on their toll schedules, but the description of how height is classified has changed since the last time that I looked it up last summer. Now, their policy is to measure the overall hight of the entire vehicle and trailer, if it is over 7 feet 6 inches, we are classified as "High". Last year, the classification was based on the height of the towing vehicle, which made most pickups 4L.

Of course, the NYS thruway will be fair to 5th wheel travel trailers (as fais as any NYS agency ever is)....we are eligible for a discount....if we use EZ-Pass. There is no discount available for Cash transactions and no mention of any other options for out-of-state visitors.

The Holiday Rambler Club's Eastern Pushers (Jen's parents are members) are starting a letter writing campaign to fight these increased tolls. They feel it is unjust to charge a 5th wheel more to travel the thruway than a motorhome. Their discount form specifically states that a motorhome will receive a passenger rate if they use EZ-Pass, but that 5th wheel RVs will receive a "discount".

Well, I feel it is unjust to charge 5th wheel RVs the same as a commercial vehicle when we weigh a lot less then they do and cause less wear and tear on the road surfaces.

If you want to contact the thruway authority, here's the link:
http://www.nysthruway.gov/about/contact.html

Here's the new vehicle classification information:
http://www.nysthruway.gov/tolls/classes.html

Here's their classification FAQ:
http://www.nysthruway.gov/tolls/faqs.html

If anybody is traveling in NYS, there are alternative interstates that you may be able to use. For East-West travel in Western NY, there is I-86 that crosses through the Southern Tier. I-86 connects to I-390 (heads N to Rochester), I-81 (heads N to Syracuse), and I-88 (heads NW towards Schenectady and Albany). I-86 turns into Rt 17 near Binghamton and Rt 17 East goes down through the Catskills and eventually meets up with the Thruway at exit 16. There are spots of construction on I-86 and I-88.

So, if you are just passing through NYS, you may be able to use other routes that may add a few miles, but save $30 to $60 in tolls.

I hope this information helps some MOC members when traveling in NYS and hopefully there will be enough of a backlash that the thruway authority will reconsider their decision.

FredG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 12:34 AM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Thanks Fred, Later this month I was intending on using the Thruway from Syracuse to Rottenchester and than south to Olean. Guess I'll take 104 over and than pick up I390 down 36 and 36 to I86. It may add a few miles but what the heck I ain't in no hurry.

I'll also be sending them an email.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 12:54 AM   #3
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
We used the Truway coming from the rally. It cost us over $15.00. When we stopped to get something quick to eat we found all the food places closed. Great service we have in NY. Better get hungry before 8 o'clock.

Carol
Chuck and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 01:19 AM   #4
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I ran route 20 from I90 PA/NY border to Churchville, West of Rochester. It took an extra hour but was nice thought south western part of NY in the Vineyard area. Many do not know that part of NY has grapes.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 01:28 AM   #5
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Thanks Fred, I had a discussion with the toll taker about the higher charges and he echoed your explanation. He did say that EZ pass would treat as a 4 Low.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 05:31 AM   #6
FredG
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1309
Steve,

It's good to know that EZ-Pass will be treated as 4L. Max was barking too much to really hold a conversation with the toll taker, so I just went to the web site.

From what I can tell, they made the change sometime around 10/05, that's the date on their "discount" tag form. I've already sent in a comment to them via the website and will let you know if I get a response.
Old 06-06-2006, 05:46 AM   #7
FredG
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1309
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by H. John Kohl

I ran route 20 from I90 PA/NY border to Churchville, West of Rochester. It took an extra hour but was nice thought south western part of NY in the Vineyard area. Many do not know that part of NY has grapes.
Very True, NY has a thriving wine industry and as of last year, NYS has passed a law allowing wineries to export their wines to other states. Before that, they could only sell inside the state. So, you may start to see NY wines showing up in other places soon.

The big winery areas in upstate NY are around the finger lakes. The Hammondsport area (south end of Keuka Lake) has several wineries close together and is marketing that area as "wine country" with a "wine trail". Most of the other lakes also have wineries and there are several smaller vineyards throughout the state, even as far as Suffolk County on Long Island.
Old 06-07-2006, 03:38 AM   #8
wileecoyote985
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2134
I detest toll roads. I haven't traveled on any in New York state, however the few I've used in Illinois, Ohio, and Pennsylvania have been some of the poorest maintained roads I've driven on. Kinda stinks to have to pay extra to drive on a crappy road. LOL

While we have our own highway problems in Michigan, there isn't a single toll road. Hopefully it'll stay that way.
wileecoyote985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 09:13 AM   #9
uhftx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2446
Thanks for the detailed explanation Fred and the work you did on researching this for all of us.

Fortunately, I do have EZ pass but, I remember this discussion from last years rally. When I did not have the EZ pass.
Old 06-07-2006, 10:31 AM   #10
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
I think before we do much more traveling, we will need to get the e-z pass. Just too easy to get into that lane and that's another whole story. We did that when we went to the 1St National rally and had to straighten it out with NY when we got home. We were lucky. No fine.

Carol
Chuck and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 03:17 PM   #11
Bill Frisbee
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4493
I have contacted one of the campgrounds we like in eastern New York and told them we would not be coming this summer because the tolls on the NYS Thruway would cost us about $80.00 round trip ... and because the long, steep hills on Route 20 east of I-81 were more than I wanted to deal with. Told them (which is absolutely true) that we would be vacationing this summer in Pennsylvania where we can haul the Monty toll-free. They responded that they were aware of (and unhappy about) the issue and were forwarding my email to their "association" (lobby?) in Albany. Maybe if enough of us decide to take our tourist dollars elsewhere and advise the right people in NYS, something positive will happen. Probably a naive idea ... but who knows. The voice of tourism carries a lot of weight here in Ontario. Perhaps the same is true in New York.
Bill Frisbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 03:44 PM   #12
TheCoachPotatoes
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3847
I feel that fifth-wheels are being singled out. Called the Thruway Authority and they said it is the height over the rear wheel that qualifies it as a 4H, and therefore travel trailers can be classified as 4L. This is really unfair as motorhomes and travel trailers can get discounted even if they are high. The best part was when we asked how come a motor home and a trailer can get a discount and fifth-wheels can't, the answer was "because they are considered recreational vehicles". When they changed the tolls last year, we were considered a 4L and we were actually paying a bit less, because they no longer charge extra for dual wheels. But now, one year later it has doubled. This is really unfair, and I can't blame anyone for boycotting NYS.
TheCoachPotatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 09:49 AM   #13
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Hi All,

I'm a little confused here. We have the 335 RLBS TT, does this mean, we will pay the lower rate or the new higher rate?

If we attend the Fall Rally we'll have to use the NYS Thruway. Don't like paying Tolls, so we have always avoided the NYS Thru. when traveling from AZ to the Adk's in NY and back, we use the Southern Rt. I-81.

Anyone know? Thanks,
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 06:56 AM   #14
vabluebird
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6155
Good input about the NYS throughway. I've decided that when we leave
Vermont after Labor Day, to go to the Central Adirondack Trail in NY.
Last night when I posted I hadn't decided on a destination. Just wanted to do some of the Adirondack Park. This will be the first time in the Monty. Looks like the best route from Bellows Falls is south I-91 to Brattleboro, Rt. 9 to Bennington, then RT 22 to Hoosick
Falls, Ny. Pick up RT67W to RT4 in Mechanicville, NY and up the Hudson River. Samuel wants to see the Hudson River Valley. Then we can pick up Rt9N and start the loop. It goes north to Blue Mtn Lake and south to Utica, NY. From there we would take I-90W to Syracuse, pick up I-81 and go home to Roanoke, VA area.

Salle & Samuel
South Central Virginia
2000 Montana 35'
1998 Chev 3500 Diesel

vabluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 07:30 AM   #15
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Salle, From Utica you could take Route 12 south to 81 just north of Binghamton. You will have to deal with local traffic but if I remember it correctly it is not a bad ride. You'll save the tolls on the Thruway not to mention avoiding the usual traffic around Syracuse.

Glenn
Montana Owners Home Page
RV Related Links

Glenn and Lorraine
M O C - 4 2 0

We are using a 2005 White GMC Sierra SLE 2500HD Extended Cab, Short Bed, 4X4
with the Duramax/Allison Combo and Firestone Ride-Rite air bags
to drag around our 2004 Montana 2955RL 32'
using a PullRite 16K SuperGlide Automatic Sliding Hitch

"We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us!"

You know you are retired when you wake up in the morning with
nothing to do and go to bed at night with it only half done.

BUT, Keep in mind, doing nothing can be a very
tiresome job because you can't stop to rest

Click on the Flags for the Forecast
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 01:07 PM   #16
vabluebird
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6155
Thanks, Glenn. Looking forward to getting on the road again for a little while.

Salle & Samuel
South Central Virginia
2000 Montana 35'
1998 Chev 3500 Diesel

vabluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 01:40 PM   #17
Colden
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4400
Fred,
Thanks for the links. I sent in my complaint. I should have copied it first to send on to state officials but it shouldn't be too hard. WIth all the buiness leaving NYS,it's typical that they try and drive away tourists with higher FW tolls.
Colden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 09:31 AM   #18
tcorbitt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5799
When planning travels through NY this summer, I called EZ pass service to check on rates. At least according to the person I spoke with, the intent was for all travel trailers and 5th wheels to be rated at 4L. However the electronic eye, that checks height is triggered when the rear axle passes. As a result, the system will classify a 5th wheel as 4H. The way they suggested I avoid this is to get a second EZ pass programmed as 4L. In this case, as long as 4 axles pass, 4L will be charged. If a 5th axle passes, the electronic eye snaps height and charge accordingly. Was also told, cash customers get all different answers and most of the time handed 4H tickets. Seemed to work at least when we passed by in July. Of course, I marked this pass well so if I ever take the truck through a toll without the 5th, I don't get bagged as 4L based on the EZ pass program.
tcorbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 03:45 AM   #19
snowbunny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #409
We have added our letter to the Thruway Authority to the pile of complaints!

We got burned by them this fall on our way to Cape Hatteras.
snowbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 06:41 AM   #20
garyka
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3662
Being a e-z pass holder I just got off the phone and asked for my discount tag for 5th wheel towing,all this can be done on a 800 number,have your e-z pass and 5th wheel information ready.I was transfered to 3 people before I got someone who took care of me.I'm supposed to have my tag in 7-10 days.The tag code should be 211 on a two axle 5th wheeler.The phone number is 1-800-333-8655.
ps on a 3axle the tag code is 215.
garyka is offline   Reply With Quote