Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 05-13-2006, 03:38 PM   #1
Wagonmaster
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3754
Impossible squeeze...

You can't and I repeat can't put a 2200sq.ft house into a 34 and a 1/2 ft Monty.. We are finally coming to our senses and are having yard sales and giving stuff away like mad.. We are storing some furniture and of course pictures etc. Neither one of our healths are real good, so we probably will have to get a small place some day. ( But not until we have too). I admire you ladies and gents with what you went throught to go full time. Oh well we will get there. Happy & safe camping. Janet..

Wagonmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 04:20 PM   #2
SKOOBDO
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5293
I can't say what you said any better I went through a LOT to get to where I am right now. whew!!! But I will tell you one thing, I don't miss all that stuff I couldn't take, actually until I actually started going through all that crap...is when I realized how much junk I had. Most of it, I never used in the past 15 years or more...but I was holding on to it to dear life why? who knows? I don't miss any of it...and happy with what I took. A clutter home is a clutter mine...and that's my 2 cents. Good Luck to you guys!
SKOOBDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 04:37 PM   #3
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Janet, we're right with you in our process toward fulltiming. And it's tough but will be worth all the hassle and very liberating as many have said. We've gotten past the easy part, getting rid of the obvious things that we don't want. But then there seems to be so much to keep. We have to work to whittle it down more. Pretty soon we'll take a break for four months and then have to return home in October to get really tough with the stuff. I can't imagine actually being moved out of the stick house and free to live in the Monty, which we enjoy so much.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 09:20 PM   #4
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Well I guess it is a good thing I started rv'ing at an early age of 22. Now that I am on my 2nd coach and 5 years later, I have learned over the past 5 years how quickly it fills up. If I continue down this path, maybe by the time I am truly ready to full time, I wont have anything to get rid of. It will have already been in the coach..... =)
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 10:08 PM   #5
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
When you get it done, then begins the fun. Happy sorting...
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 05:02 AM   #6
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
That's good to know, Stiles, because Cheryl is kinda freaking out right now... We have already downsized once. We found out that we didn't do as good of a job as we thought when we moved. I'm going to start pricing storage units tomorrow.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 05:58 AM   #7
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Jack and Janet, Welcome to our world. Can only say "been there, done that". No, it wasn't easy but once you get rid of all that unnecessary "STUFF" you'll wonder why you even had it.

We approached it like this...
If we ain't used it in ---
1 year it goes
than
6 months
than
3 months
than
30 days

Other than some seasonal items such as clothing this system worked well for us.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 07:54 AM   #8
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I asked myself the question, "Do I own this stuff or does it own me?" I decided I didn't want to be a slave to stuff. If you get rid of it, you don't have to store it or insure it or ever worry about it. I brought boxes of books to my last stick house that I never unpacked in twenty years of living in that house. We also had artwork that never got arranged, rather it sat in the attic in containers for those same twenty years. So why do I want to store some "good stuff" that I won't look at for another twenty years.

One of the things I learned in moving to Hong Kong, living simply is easy and fun. All we brought was what could be put in 6 suitcases. For everything else there is American Express. What we bought here to live with, we will leave here because it will have served its purpose. After that, it is just cumbersome stuff.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 09:31 AM   #9
Kimmrg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1217
Good luck and take it one thing at a time. Don't try to do it all in one day. Be kind to yourself and each other.
Kimmrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 02:55 PM   #10
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
We went through all the trauma also. But now that we're down the road, so to speak, we're happy that we got rid of everything. Now all we have to concern ourselves with is what we have with us and to take care of the normal vehicle breakdowns.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 02:12 AM   #11
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
The toughest decision is over; making the decision to full time. Getting rid of "stuff" will easier. We basically followed Glenn's way of thinking and to be honest, we have been full timing for almost a year now and really don't miss any of the things we had when we were anchored to the house. It will all work out in the end.
gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 02:48 AM   #12
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
I think that looking back on this process follows the same course as when Glen looked back on eight weeks of chemo and, three years later, declared, "Oh, that wasn't bad!" Wow, how time heals! When you're in the middle of this process it is stressful, frustrating, and somewhat depressing. But you have to keep plugging away. It may be liberating in the end but it's tough in the middle. Plug, plug, plugging....
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 05:18 AM   #13
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
You don't realize until you start tog et rid of it, just how much "stuff" you accumulate. When phyllis and I moved into the Monty it took a remodel dumpster full of "stuff" to make me realize just how much I had wated over the years in accumulating junk. We sold, gave away, donated, and other wise disposed of everything we had in just a little over a month and a half, when we were made on offer we couldn't refuse on the house. It put us 2 years ahead of our move in date, so we really had to scramble. Sure is fun now though. When we want to take a trip we don't have to pack, just close the apartment up, hookup and go!! EEEEEHAHH!!! You're going to enjoy yourselves so much
rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 08:47 AM   #14
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Jack, it almost sound like you are trying to do what Lucile Ball did in the Long Trailer Movie.. It wont fit!!! Sell it. I guess you are going FULL TIME now have fun.