Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 03-25-2013, 03:28 AM   #1
Gkerlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12221
Parking a dually in the French Quarter

Hey Folks - we are going to be in New Orleans later this week.

We're going to stay in Fountaineblue State Park (don't want to stay in the RV Park in the city).

I've been doing some pre-trip recon including google street view and noticed that some of the outdoor lots in the Quarter had signs that specifically said a dually was an oversized vehicle and was not allowed.

I've also been trying to find out if there are any park and ride lots in the "burbs" where I could drop it off and just take the bus. So far no luck.

I want to surprise Kate and schedule a 10am cooking class for the two of us at the N.O. school of cooking in the Quarter (Shhhh ... Kates not on the MOC) so I would be on a bit of a schedule.

Any N.O. locals have any suggestions on where I might be able to put my BIG-FAT long-bed without having to drive it all over the city??

Gkerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:19 AM   #2
vangoes
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10367
Greg,
We stayed at the Fountaineblue State Park for 10 days in December. Very nice park; however, I will advise you to be very aware of some low limbs on one of the roadways coming out of the second loop. One Monty crunched his vent covers. If you stay to the middle of the road through that section\curves you will be OK. I cant help you much with the dually issue as our truck is single wheel and had no problems with parking. BTW, I hope you are not skiddish about bridges as my wife is......the bridge across lake Ponchartrain is 25+ miles and is all bridge. My wife kept eyes to the dash everytime we crossed! ha. Good luck and hope you have as good of time as we did.
vangoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:29 AM   #3
Gkerlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12221
Thank for the info. I heard about the branches and we'll keep an eye out. I knew the causeway was long but didn't realize it was that long.

I've driven the Monty and Semi's over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge & Tunnel more times than I can count... That's about the same length. I enjoy the ride as long as its not real windy.

It looks like I might be able to park down around the Amtrak Station. I see a couple of lots there that look feasible and they are right on the streetcar line. Since it will be a work day I just hope when I get down there that the lots are not full and I wind up having to drive around looking for a place to park.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:58 AM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
You'll love the NO cooking school we had a great time. That being said we had to park down by the Aquarium where some of the spots are new. We also got there very early. We discovered that our Mega Cab was also too bid for most places.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 05:22 AM   #5
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
We parked near the French Quarter at the end of Canal St. with our dually.
There are lots all around. Here is a link. http://neworleans.centralparking.com...r-Parking.html
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 05:55 AM   #6
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Greg,
If you don't have enough suggestions for places to eat in the French quarter I suggest Coops Place. We waited in line for 20 mins and that was a small wait according to locals. It is near the open market. George & Rosetta and I ate there Umm good.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:01 AM   #7
Gkerlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12221
Thanks for all the great suggestions. I'll squeeze the beast in somewhere.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:06 AM   #8
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
It'll fit in the Central Parking lots. Mine did. Delivery trucks manage to get around and be prepared to go slow and pay $$ for parking.
I even parked my dually in the NO Airport Parking Garage once.
RRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:39 PM   #9
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
You might get lucky down by the French Market and find something on the street but most of the lots on Decatur you can fit in. You will just have to walk. If we have been walking all day sometimes we will just get a cab even for a short distance. $5 is sometimes worth the expense when you are whooped.

Quote:
quote:If you don't have enough suggestions for places to eat in the French quarter I suggest Coops Place.
That is a short wait for Coops.

Cafe Fleur-de-lis (307 Charters @ Bienville) is great for breakfast. Go in with an appetite. More locals than tourist.

Central Grocery @ 923 Decatur have some of the best muffuletta's. The ones at the little corner market on Ursuline @ Bourbon are pretty good to. Don't be a hero and try to eat a whole one by yourself in one sitting. Not worth it. If you take the ferry across the river to Algiers to go to Mardi Gras World the Dry Dock Cafe (to your right when you get off the boat) also has a good muffuletta.

Franky & Johnny's (Kinda in the Garden District) on Arabella @ Tchoupitoulas is another favorite for locals. Real dive but great food. When in season the crawfish are excellent!

Man, I am getting hungry just thinking of New Orleans.

ON EDIT: Good southern cooking you can try the Praline Connection 542 Frenchmen @ Charters. Stuff like Chicken Livers, Red Beans & Rice, Fried Pickles. Good southern Soul Food.
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:27 PM   #10
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
We have successfully parked in the quarter, although making turns was difficult. It required backing up and retrying.

We usually (5 times visiting) park in the Visitor Center lot and walk.

As for places to go, you have to go to Cafe du Monde and have their beignets!
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:02 PM   #11
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
We just found a lot and walked. there are quiet a few places that you will be able to find in the quarter.
Bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote