Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-30-2009, 04:07 AM   #1
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Another electrical gremlin

We made it back from the Southern adventure and went to connect the electric and noticed that we had a minor problem.....no ELECTRIC!!! Dangit!! A little history here may be worthy. On the return trip we left the fridge on to preserve the foodstuffs and during the sixteen hour trip the battery died. I have known we have had battery problems for a couple of months and will be upgrading next Spring with a new battery and hopefully a smart-charger type set-up. Now back to the post.....the problem with the electric was that either the breaker at the house (15 amp) tripped or the GFCI switch we were plugging into tripped. The dilemna was the battery is dead so I can't get the rig off the truck since the legs won't extend and I also can't unload all of the Black Friday goodies from the living room since the slides can't be extended. I always thought that the umbilical cord from the truck also charged the battery although very slowly?? After trying to troubleshoot the rig (thinking that something was left on that was tripping the 15 amp connection), I finally dragged the extension cord inside the house to a non-GFCI outlet (I think this outlet was on a 20 amp breaker) and everything returned to an operation state. I don't know if a completely dead battery would cause this by drawing too much power through the charger?? Any thoughts?? It is not a function of the extension cord, or the breaker strength since these common factors have not changed from previous hook-ups at the house.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote