Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-09-2017, 05:00 PM   #41
team bradfield
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19994
2 Cardinal's, 2 Montana's,we really love the floorplan and paint scheme on our 3137. Our last Cardinal was a disaster, walls blistering, main slide seal rotted out in 2 years causing extensive damage. Factory said it was my fault for not keeping them protected? I had the dealer put slide toppers on the 3137

The "Black Pearl"-2017 3731FL Legacy Package
2017 F-450 Platinum, 6.7 PSD
team bradfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 08:23 PM   #42
Recumbent
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10457
Smile

Yes, we will most likely buy another Montana after another 3 to 5 years. We started with and spent many years in backpacking tents, then got soft and bought a new 2010 Montana Mountaineer then to a new 2013 Montana. Originally thought I would trade current Montana after 5 years. The 3811 with the tri-level floor plan at the Fall Rally sure looked good, but when you put a plumb line on it maybe 3 feet to long. Also, with many upgrades on our current 5er believe we will stay put in what we have for now.
Recumbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 09:15 AM   #43
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
NO THEY ALL DONT HAVE ISSUES, B. S! We have owned 2 Aljos, a prowler, a Tahoe, a k-z new vision ultra back when they were owned by k-z sportsman not THOR! NONE HAS BEEN SO CHEAP AS THE 2015 MONTANA . ONLY 2 YEARS OLD, CARPET IS SHOT, EXTERIOR TRIM IS DISINTEGRATING, LED LIGHTS BURNED OUT, BATHROOM DOOR PICTURE BOARD PEELING, TIRES ARE WEARING VERY FAST ON SECOND SET, FAN FELL OFF CEILING, . CABLES FOR SLIDE AT BEDROOM,. Wth...thinnest rubber roof I have ever seen, . Glass latches broke for windows, fenders have NO backing and flap in the wind. Aluminum fridge doors hit cabinets and the panels are dented, shower door handles fall off, screws come out of fenders and all over... sickered at 92000! Not worth 30,000! POS.. ANY BRAND YOU LOOK AT, BE SURE THE PARENT COMPANY IS NOT THOR! Thor owns about 80 percent of the market and have taken great brands like DRV, JAYCO, KZ, AND HAVE ESSENTIALLY DESTROYED THE QUALITY THEY WERE! We are now looking for a used KZ "ESCALADE"...not made by THOR! If the CHINESE ever got into RVS, THEIR NAME WOULD BE THOR!
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 10:32 AM   #44
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
Yes in a heartbeat. Minor problems here and there on all 3 I have had. Keep it clean l have it washed every month when on the road. Every once in a while walk around and check for loose screws tighten or replace. I spend about 7 months a year in my rig. Travel at least 6000 miles a year so it is used. Guess like thousands of others I got a good one.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 07:34 AM   #45
bethandkevin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12331
[QUOTE=Dmcgrew;1076098]We had a 2014 3402RL and loved the floor plan and functionality of the coach. I found the quality was less than I would have expected considering the price paid. Most RV's have quality problems and Montana is no exception. I experienced several minor problems with ours which were easily repaired by myself. Two larger problems included repeating failure of the grey and black water tanks even when great care was taken to protect the tanks from over filling or traveleing with fluid in them. Montana was contacted on the failure of the 3rd tank and I was informed that they have not had any problem with tank failures. They were of no assistance to correct the problem. Frame on my model was found to be too light and a change was made to a larger frame, of course after the purchase of mine. No assistance was provided on the frame failure and I eventually traded it off for SOB. Part if not all of the problem I experienced was a result of purchasing the fifth from Camping World. They have a great sales experience but really suffer when trying to provide service or after the sale assistance.
I would not rule out purchasing another Montana but would go in with eyes wide open and never would I purchase from Camping World.[/QUOT

We have the same model one year older is the reason for responding with the quote. We have not experienced any major issues with ours. All of the issues we did experience were corrected in a timely manner by the delivering dealer-Camping World of Northern Michigan. We have had the typical Norcold refrigerator issue, I believe it to be scale in the cooling unit although it has not been a problem at all this year. We had the flex issue that was buckling the closet wall-but not breaking any seals on the walls. Staples coming out under the rubber roof-replaced with screws. When fall camping on the property in northern Michigan, I put this trailer through hell getting in the woods. I think it has performed well. No tank issues and we nearly always travel with the water full and the black/grays empty. I think we got a great deal on the purchase. Great service from our dealer. We would definitely look at Montana again-when the décor changes to appeal to our taste. We do not like the current wood/finish. We like a more natural look which is what drew us to the Hickory Edition. We don't anticipate a purchase for some time. We love ours too much.
bethandkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 10:15 AM   #46
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
They advertise more Montana owners buy another Montana than any other brand has loyalty.
So far I'll be one of those people also.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 12:31 PM   #47
allmi01
Established Member

M.O.C. #13124
I've owned Fleetwood, K-Z, Gulf Stream (owned by Thor), and 3 different Keystone products (all after Thor purchase) and I will by another Montana when the time comes.

All of the above had some issues which I corrected mostly. My current Montana has had the cooling unit replaced on the Norcold refrigerator under warranty. No issues with getting it done. Is the A?C a little flakey, yes sometimes it is but it cools the trailer nicely. I rarely have to "jump start" it by turning it off and back on. In my case, I suspect a flakey Dometic thermostat. I may end up replacing it with an Atwood one.

I work for a major agricultural and construction equipment, engine and powertrain, and commercial vehicle manufacturer. The issues seen at our production plants look a lot like what the RV industry is producing on the assembly lines. Difference is we don't ship it unless it is ready, numbers aside. Our dealer won't accept or deal with what the RV industry puts out. The entire RV industry needs look at quality before shipment. If that were done and done right, the dealer would have an easier time doing the more profitable work they need to stay in business.

All in all, I love my Keystone products and will continue to recommend and purchase them.

I'm not sure why so many are not so fond of Thor. Parent corporations don't have the time or staff to micro manage the divisions under the parent. Do they ask for profit levels, yes. best way to accomplish that is reduce and / or eliminate quality issue. Quality programs work, just ask the big 3 auto manufacturers.

Sorry for a long rant. Just expressing my .02 cents worth.

Mike
allmi01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 12:54 PM   #48
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by allmi01 View Post
I've owned Fleetwood, K-Z, Gulf Stream (owned by Thor), and 3 different Keystone products (all after Thor purchase) and I will by another Montana when the time comes.

All of the above had some issues which I corrected mostly. My current Montana has had the cooling unit replaced on the Norcold refrigerator under warranty. No issues with getting it done. Is the A?C a little flakey, yes sometimes it is but it cools the trailer nicely. I rarely have to "jump start" it by turning it off and back on. In my case, I suspect a flakey Dometic thermostat. I may end up replacing it with an Atwood one.

I work for a major agricultural and construction equipment, engine and powertrain, and commercial vehicle manufacturer. The issues seen at our production plants look a lot like what the RV industry is producing on the assembly lines. Difference is we don't ship it unless it is ready, numbers aside. Our dealer won't accept or deal with what the RV industry puts out. The entire RV industry needs look at quality before shipment. If that were done and done right, the dealer would have an easier time doing the more profitable work they need to stay in business.

All in all, I love my Keystone products and will continue to recommend and purchase them.

I'm not sure why so many are not so fond of Thor. Parent corporations don't have the time or staff to micro manage the divisions under the parent. Do they ask for profit levels, yes. best way to accomplish that is reduce and / or eliminate quality issue. Quality programs work, just ask the big 3 auto manufacturers.

Sorry for a long rant. Just expressing my .02 centse worth.

Mike
I agree 100% Mike. The manufacturers are all located in Amish country where getting home early to milk the cows has a high priority. I guess higher than making sure wires are properly connected and screws tightened or even put where needed. Things were better when fewer units put pressure on employees. Added to the problem is a shortage of warm bodies, experienced or trainable is not even considered. That is evident in my 5er as the person applying interior trim should never have been permitted within 100 yards of a nail gun.
Old 10-11-2017, 01:24 PM   #49
Razrbk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17829
Based on your numerous Amish comments, you sound bigoted, Captn John. I don't believe the Amish have a market poor workmanship.
Razrbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 01:55 PM   #50
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razrbk View Post
Based on your numerous Amish comments, you sound bigoted, Captn John. I don't believe the Amish have a market poor workmanship.
No, not bigoted at all. There are many Amish families where I lived for decades in PA. I never said the "English " would be perfect either. Nothing against the Amish but the way the industry pays all those on the assembly line. A little comprehension should indicate that. Add the fact I've mentioned the lack of training and quality control and see it an industry problem. There are reasons BMW moved to SC, other automakers / suppliers moved to TN and companies have left CA and CO. They had nothing to do with Amish. Amish life must be understood.
Old 10-11-2017, 03:16 PM   #51
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We also grew up in Amish Country in PA and there is no quality Amish workmanship on the RV line. The workers on the line do what the company tells them to do the way they tell them to do it. There is a large Amish workforce in the plants but the workforce is varied with many other cultures on the line also in large numbers. We are talking Rv's here .It is not the workman's fault .The Company sets the rules and quality standards.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 03:26 PM   #52
PatAnd
Established Member

M.O.C. #17208
We have been Montana owners since 2010. We are on our third one. Each time we traded it was for an upgrade. We looked at Cedar Creek and went back to the Montana. Whatever you decide to buy make sure the service department has a good customer service rating. That is more important than the sales department.
PatAnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 03:34 PM   #53
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by richfaa View Post
We also grew up in Amish Country in PA and there is no quality Amish workmanship on the RV line. The workers on the line do what the company tells them to do the way they tell them to do it. There is a large Amish workforce in the plants but the workforce is varied with many other cultures on the line also in large numbers. We are talking Rv's here .It is not the workman's fault .The Company sets the rules and quality standards.
The Amish that built my shed and roofed my house did not work on piecework. They took pride in what they did. No one told them how much to get finished daily before they could get to farm work. 20 years ago they would make a good wage. The $15 per hour means a lot of pieces to get to the $60,000 recently reported as not unusual. I believe at that they or anyone would rather be proud of what they produced.
Old 10-11-2017, 05:37 PM   #54
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
The Amish that built my shed and roofed my house did not work on piecework. They took pride in what they did. No one told them how much to get finished daily before they could get to farm work. 20 years ago they would make a good wage. The $15 per hour means a lot of pieces to get to the $60,000 recently reported as not unusual. I believe at that they or anyone would rather be proud of what they produced.
Amish built both our sheds at the rear of our lot the last one 2 years ago. Different story than working on a assembly line in a RV factory. Yes the Amish take great pride in their workmanship when they can do it on their own.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 05:47 PM   #55
martyperu
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13316
We are on our 4th Montana. Feel they are best bang for your buck. Also have best floor plans.
Yes I would buy again.
martyperu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 07:03 PM   #56
L0veless
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19132
Send a message via AIM to L0veless
bought 2016 3720RL in November 2016, have around 6,000 miles on her and love it.
this is kind of a ford, chevy, ram discussion. talking to RV owners in the various parks we visit it's funny how we all have the same but different issues. loose latch, drawer slides, and blinds and TIRES. most items are not manufactured by Montana just as most items are not manufactured by Chevy Ford or Ram. now is there quality upscale in different lines yep just like Cadillac and Lincoln offer a little more quality than chevy and ford. no matter what you get you will have issues a lot of this come with preventive maintenance.
find the floor plan and size you like with options you need/want move forward with confidence and most of all have fun and enjoy. by the way I will never own another FORD just to add fuel to this fire
Old 10-11-2017, 07:30 PM   #57
jlb27537
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13157
My '14 3150RL has been relative trouble free, except for issues with stuff Montana installs. Dometic, Atwood, Lippert jacks. But these are not Montana issues, and were fixed by mobile repair people under warranty.

BUT, when a problem exists with a Montana/Thor product, getting help is almost non existent.

Because of the lack of Customer Service, I will not be buying another Thor Product. I will be buying a used/no warranty diesel pusher to replace my current rig.

2012 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW 4x4 3.73 Tow Max Pkg B&W Companion 60 gal RDS aux fuel tank. 2014 Montana 3150RL, 2 A/C's, Leather, 6 Point Jacks, Splendede WD2100XC, Mor/ryde X-Factor, Duravis 250 tires with TST 507RV monitors. 2 x Honda EU2000's
jlb27537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 07:38 PM   #58
Twopetes
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17535
We had an SOB before and we liked it but dealer messed up. We have a High Country 353RL. Love it
But we would look hard at the Vilano line if we were to trade

Just sayin’
Retired and Lovin’ it!
Twopetes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 07:59 PM   #59
Bochim
Established Member

M.O.C. #19041
No, My next one will be a Grand Design.
Old 10-11-2017, 08:23 PM   #60
Former StClairSailor
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17151
The underlying issue is the current business climate. Dealers across the country are setting sales records and cannot keep units in stock. Manufacturers are sacrificing quality for speed in order to keep up. If they don't, they will loose sales to the ones that are. And, we consumers are getting the short end of the stick. If you look at other forums you will see the same complaints, some far more serious. It isn't just Keystone. Close friends of ours traded their Montana for a GD and are now regretting it. Their unit has spent far more time in the shop than in campgrounds and is now at the manufacturer. Having a poor dealer makes the issue worse when they can't find the problem or so busy they keep the rig for weeks before even attempting to look at it. It is still a matter of choice. Does the layout fit your needs and is the unit within your budget. We have been lucky to have a good dealer and Keystone has been very cooperative in their support. Based upon that we have a new 2017 3950BR. It has had issues but they have been resolved.

John & Laura___& Bentley
2017 Montana 3950BR
2015 GMC Sierra Denali Dually
Former StClairSailor is offline   Reply With Quote