Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-30-2004, 01:08 PM   #1
syplace
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1666
Electrical Problem

Was giving our son visiting from Calif a demo of new Montana. And wouldn't you know it...it misbehaved! Put slides in and then out.
Now the TV, DVD, overhead light between refrig. & microwave will not come on. Microwave and fireplace do work. Checked the fuses, all okay there.
Checked electrical hook up ...okay. Check home circut breakers, all on.
Put the slides in and then out again. Still doesn't work. What am I missing? Anyone out there have any suggestions. What should I look for?

syplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 02:02 PM   #2
ragdoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #235
Send a message via AIM to ragdoll Send a message via MSN to ragdoll
syplace - just a thought but did you check to make sure you didn't trip a breaker inside your unit. This has happened to us.

Safe travels.
ragdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 04:23 PM   #3
syplace
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1666
Yes Ragdoll, Checked fuses, wiring and all circuit breakers are up and
live. Ran extension cord from house and everything works, so it has to be something in/on the kitchen slide? The fireplace & microwave work. But the TV, DVD, Refrig., Overhead light between the Frig. & Microwave, All kitchen elec. outlets plus the two in the computer area Do Not Work. Will keep a searching! And all slides slid out real nice.
Old 07-30-2004, 05:52 PM   #4
faeb and genb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #57
On our 3575 we have a gfi electrial plug on the back of sink looking toward the sofa & one in the bathroom if it is tripped you reset it on the plug. You can teat them by pushing on the test button & then reset it.
Gene
faeb and genb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 06:40 PM   #5
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
We had a somewhat similar problem a year ago (different model Monty). Our problem was that the slide has a spring underneath which holds the electrical wires out of the way for the retraction cycle. That spring was too tight with the slide extended, and caused the electrical cord to wear at a right angle bend point and short directly to the frame. This did, however, cause a tripping CB, which you say isn't the case here.. Another possible scenario is that the too-tight electrical wire could pull loose internally within one of the junction boxes underneath the slide. I'd check for a banjo tight wire underneath the slide, maybe causing a J-box problem (bad connection inside it)under the slide.

Hope that helps ID the problem..

Best Regards,
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 12:20 AM   #6
syplace
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1666
Gene...here it is 5 am and had to go out & check. You were right! It was the GFI. Wonder what tripped it. Thank you very much, I could just visualize taking that whole thing apart!
John
Old 07-31-2004, 11:15 AM   #7
faeb and genb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #57
Glad that what it was. Don't know what trips them. The first time it happened to me I took half of the rec. apart looking before I figured it out.
Gene
faeb and genb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 12:38 PM   #8
ronstan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1536
The outside plug is connected to GFI. I had mine trip once when a light I had plugged in got wet and tripped it.
ronstan is offline   Reply With Quote