Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > TIRES, Montana Tires
Click Here to Login

Old 10-10-2017, 10:54 AM   #41
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by L0veless View Post
<snip>...night and day difference in the look, the "E" always looked under inflated kept them at 80 PSI. taking her out tomorrow very interested in seeing how she tows with new shoes....
</snip>
The Trailer Kings looked under inflated because, at 80 PSI, they were. They are a 110 PSI tire. Be sure to inflate the new G614s to a value appropriate for your 3720's weight (I am guessing 105-110 PSI).

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 11:13 AM   #42
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
i had the dealer install the sailun's with metal valve stems before i left the lot. I always inflate to 110 psi because of the weight and less friction on the road which means cooler tires. I've got over 15,000 miles on the tires now and they have taken out 2 wheels because of the rough roads. The tires are tougher than the wheels.I have the tire monitors on and was saved from a lot of expense and headache when the monitor alarm came on 200 miles after leaving the national rally last month. I've got 4 new hi-spec wheels ordered and they should be in today. While we all worry about the tires, the wheels are as much junk as the tires that come on these trailers.These factory wheels can't take the beating the sailun's can take.
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 12:17 PM   #43
Jon Susn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20311
Our 2017 3661RL came with Sailun's and metal stems.
2014 FORD 250 SUPERDUTY 6.7L 4X4 PLATINUM
Jon Susn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 12:26 PM   #44
Jon Susn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20311
there is a SOB 5er in the same lot as I keep my "Lady Bug" Montana 5er. Been there since beginning of summer. June 2017 I cam to storage lot and it had a blow out on drivers side and completely tore up the side of the camper and even the steps, looked like a lot of damage.
We just got back from a trip to Camp Hatteras in the NC OBX. Weather was awesome but anyway when I parked the "Lady Bug" in storage the same gateway was there (it is one camper over on the lot) and the Passenger side tire had blown and totally removed the fender, siding up about 12 inches, and tore all kinds of wires out from underneath the slideout. Went over and looked and he still has inferior tires on the unit. Has 2 Rainier tires that match and a 3rd some other brand and a 4th some other brand. 3 different tire brands and 2 blowouts already.
My research and input from other fine members of this forum tell me that the Sailuns are the best.
Wish my neighbor in the storage lot had a Gateway forum like this Montana Forum. ( I don't know who owns it).
Jon Susn
2014 FORD 250 SUPERDUTY 6.7L 4X4 PLATINUM
Jon Susn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 01:12 PM   #45
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by carl n susan View Post
The Trailer Kings looked under inflated because, at 80 PSI, they were. They are a 110 PSI tire. Be sure to inflate the new G614s to a value appropriate for your 3720's weight (I am guessing 105-110 PSI).
When I bought a Cougar it arrived with Trailer King LR E tires. Tires were rated at 80#. Email from wheel manufacturer stated the wheels were rated at 80# as well. Took a chance and put Carlisle LR F on immediately and filled to 90#. Added metal valve stems. Sold it and 2 year old tires still going great.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 01:25 PM   #46
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
For those new here that think you can get by with the OEM original ST tires by running some magic speed or inflation good luck with that. There have been many since I joined here in 2004 that thought that only to have a tire blow out and do thousands of dollars damage to their camper.
Keep reading this forum like I have and if you do not have a blowout you will realize you have been lucky.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 01:43 PM   #47
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
For those new here that think you can get by with the OEM original ST tires by running some magic speed or inflation good luck with that. There have been many since I joined here in 2004 that thought that only to have a tire blow out and do thousands of dollars damage to their camper.
Keep reading this forum like I have and if you do not have a blowout you will realize you have been lucky.
Lynwood
For that very reason my last two 5ers went straight from the dealer to the tire shop. On the Cougar the Trailer King LR E were replaced with Carlisle LR F and the Montana Rainier LR E were replaced with Sailun LR G.
Those that are lucky and post about 50,000 or 500 miles on oem tires are not helping newbies.
Old 10-11-2017, 11:13 PM   #48
masterdrago
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20587
I checked our nearby dealer a few days ago - looking at 3791RD & a GD 375RES-R. Both had metal stems - one had G614, the other Sailun. Both g-rated.
masterdrago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 04:09 PM   #49
L0veless
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19132
Send a message via AIM to L0veless
carl n susan

sorry to disagree with you but a 235/80/r16 "E" is to be inflated at 80 PSI.
that's what the tire states along with the sticker on the 5th , kind of like sticker on inside door on truck on truck tire size and inflation. also a lot of the trailer rims for "E" tires are not rated for 110 PSI. the tire installer pulled the tire to make sure rim was rated at 110 PSI. when I was struggling to decide if I wanted to spend 1500 for 5 tires I looked at a lot of rigs that were around our size that still had "E" on them. They also looked under inflated.
took the 5th out and there was definitely difference in towing for the positive now was that just in my mind or reality.
Don't know but I felt more comfortable towing her and that was worth the money.
Old 10-12-2017, 07:12 PM   #50
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by L0veless View Post
carl n susan

sorry to disagree with you but a 235/80/r16 "E" is to be inflated at 80 PSI.
that's what the tire states along with the sticker on the 5th , kind of like sticker on inside door on truck on truck tire size and inflation. also a lot of the trailer rims for "E" tires are not rated for 110 PSI. the tire installer pulled the tire to make sure rim was rated at 110 PSI. when I was struggling to decide if I wanted to spend 1500 for 5 tires I looked at a lot of rigs that were around our size that still had "E" on them. They also looked under inflated.
took the 5th out and there was definitely difference in towing for the positive now was that just in my mind or reality.
Don't know but I felt more comfortable towing her and that was worth the money.
Correct ~~ LR E are to be at 80 psi. $1500 for 5 tires of that size in LR G is a lot. Sailun LR G are 1/2 that in that size. I went with the 235/85 instead of 80. I know LR E are cheaper and weigh less than LR G, but HC should never have an LR E tire IMO.
Old 10-12-2017, 08:04 PM   #51
Twopetes
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17535
I think you were given some faulty info. My Sailun 85 series are only 1/2 inch larger per tire. My HC353 has plenty of space between the tires and the frame. Good tires
Retired and Lovin’ it!
Twopetes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 08:55 PM   #52
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twopetes View Post
I think you were given some faulty info. My Sailun 85 series are only 1/2 inch larger per tire. My HC353 has plenty of space between the tires and the frame. Good tires
Overall the 85 Sailun is .9" taller than the 80 Sailun. Taller still than the oem tires that came on my HC. Agree, plenty of space all around when mounted and installed. The oem wheels and valve stems are the same as those on the Montana that has 80 Sailun tires as standard. The dealer found the 85 at 3 1/2 months old and $10 each less than the 80. The 80 at 4080 would have been enough but the 85 at 4400# is way more than enough. So far they are fantastic and have not needed air adjustments at all.