Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-24-2007, 10:12 AM   #1
genecurp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2535
speed limit towing

Can anyone point me to a web site that can tell me speed limits by state for light trucks pulling Monty (non-commercial)? Looks like the truck limit signs on the interstates are for commercial, big rigs. I found CA has a limit specifically for autos/light trucks towing trailers. That's all I could find.

genecurp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 10:14 AM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
You can't exceed the tire rating, on my Missions, it's 65 MPH. That kinda takes care of any posted limits, but some may be lower.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 10:43 AM   #3
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Illinois is lower, 55, signs were pretty specific, and better yet, you could understand what they were trying to say.

As far as a specific web site, I don't think this is what you are asking for, but you still might find it interesting:

http://www.nv.gov/new_50States.htm

I would be interested in a site that had state specific speed limits all in one place, or linked to same, will be watching this thread to see if someone has that info!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 12:00 PM   #4
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
Might want to also check out this site.
http://www.towingworld.com/articles/TowingLaws.htm
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 12:03 PM   #5
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I cannot stand towing through IL, 55 mph is just too darn slow! I try to keep it between 65-68 mph, but have been known to go faster and slower. From what I have been told, unless it is specifically posted, the posted speed limit is the limit for which you can tow a trailer. In many of the western states is specifically says "trailers 65 mph" "autos 75 mph".
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 12:59 PM   #6
tbhd2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5709
If you have a Rand McNally atlas, they have a state by state speed limit page in the front of the book that gives non-towing and towing speed limits. Hope this helps.
tbhd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 01:13 PM   #7
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
I will go with Ozz on this one for the speed rating on the tires.
Also, at the MOC rally in Goshen this year, we were told at the factory the Montanas were not designed to go over 65mph. Not sure what they meant by not designed, but that's what they said!
Oh yeah, we are retired and we have time! I guess that will slow us down too! When I worked for a living, I had to get there and then get back, both ways as fast as I could. I've learned to slow down and enjoy the scenery a lot!
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 01:42 PM   #8
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
I go 65 for fuel economy as well as speed ratings on the tires. Have my TomTom set to alarm at 66 MPH just to remind me not to goo faster!!!
Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 02:06 PM   #9
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
I'd like to be listening when an officer has stopped someone for speeding and the person quotes the TIRE manufacturer rating! What a hoot that would be.

California has a 55mph speed limit for vehicles towing a trailer. Generally one can go 60 to 65 but you are chancing a speeding ticket. It just depends on what the officer wants to do for anything above 55.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 04:19 PM   #10
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Why take chances. My best fuel economy is between 55 and 58 mph so that's what we travel at. I've driven faster but my mpg drops way off. Since this is our lifestyle, I economize whenever and wherever I can. I cannot take a chance on getting a speeding ticket.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 04:54 PM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
The fuel economy seems to vary a bit by truck, probably because of axle ratio affecting engine rpm. On mine, 62 to 64 seems to be best for economy. At 60 and below it downshifts too often.

Every state we've been in with a separate speed limit for vehicles towing trailers has clearly marked the speed limit as pertaining to vehicles towing trailers. "Truck" speed limits are for commercial trucks, not for private pickups.

I also don't like towing through Illinois. I usually start out around 57 or 58 but within a few miles I'm back up where my rig gets its best mileage. Years ago I wrote the governor of Illinois about the problems the differing speed limits autos and other vehicles was causing. I got a letter back from the secretary of transportation telling me the lower speed limit for rv's and vehicles towing trailers is because there are so many of those drivers who are new to that kind of driving and because they don't have much experience they'd be a hazard to other drivers and to themselves if they were authorized to drive faster. At that point I realized it's a lost cause. That guy probably never towed a trailer in his life.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 07:14 PM   #12
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Quote:
quote: Can anyone point me to a web site that can tell me speed limits by state for light trucks pulling Monty (non-commercial)?
Not a website, but the Motor Carriers Road Atlas does have that information collated by state.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 02:31 AM   #13
genecurp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2535
Thanks to all for the great info!! I have both a Rand McNally atlas and Motor Carrier atlas. Guess I wasn't using all my resources I had available. And my tires are rated to 65 mph max too. Now I know where to look when i am planning a trip.

genecurp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 02:42 AM   #14
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I have yet to be in a state where the speed limits were not posted. If the state had a specific speed limit for cars or pickups towing trailers it was posted. If not you can drive the same speed as vehicles NOT towing.
The 65MPH speed rating marked on the ST tires is the maximum recommended for those type tires but, other than our MOC family, how many RVers even know about a tire speed rating? Doubtful they even heard of a Tire Speed Rating and even more doubtful they would even know where to find it.
Even the police may or may not know about tire speed ratings BUT as far as your insurance company is concerned, they do know about tire speed ratings. Now lets say you had an accident and if after the accident you claim you were only doing the speed limit and the speed limit posted was 75 MPH guess what happens next.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 03:41 AM   #15
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Like Hamrad said, the speed limit here in California for trailers is 55.

55 is slow, but then, I'm not in any hurry. I am amazed at how many people here in CA are 'put-out' by the fact that I am traveling the posted speed limit. Most of the trucks we see who are pulling trailers drive between 55-62mph. I like the slower speeds.

By driving the speed limit, I feel that anyone who gets behind me and is angered by the slow speed, should get up a little earlier in the morning; and by driving the speed limit we don't run up on other vehicles. Makes for a soothing day of driving.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 11:46 AM   #16
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozz

You can't exceed the tire rating, on my Missions, it's 65 MPH. That kinda takes care of any posted limits, but some may be lower.
Agree...although the above should read "should not exceed....", because lots of people are either ignorant or don't care, and tow much faster than 65. I like 65...the fuel economy is tolerable and the Allison can get into 6th gear.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 12:37 PM   #17
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
Our truck with the Montana has a sweet spot at 65 mph and that is where we run. Living in IA it is 70 on the interstates in the country. Around the cities it drops to 65-55 mph. At 65 once in a while we might get to pass someone but the truck dose fine at 62-65 mph.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 03:18 PM   #18
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
The main problem I run into most of the time trying to stay below the posted limit is that in order to maintain a safe space between myself and the car in front I could end up going in reverse. As the space opens some schlub pulls right in front of me to get in my lane. so I slow a bit more and viola another car flies in to the space. It can get very frustrating trying to drive safely. Va is great for that, NC not so much and Ga is pretty good about leaving you your buffer zone. Florida drivers like any available space. I know it is just something else we have to deal with out there, just venting, sorry. I also use the Rand McNally book.. Dave and Betsy
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 01:42 AM   #19
happy campers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6523
I see that there are others who are as fond of Illinois as I am, but unfortunately, if you have to go east on I-94, you're pretty much out of luck. Illinois drivers are right up there with some of the worst on the road. In Illinois especially, if you want to exceed the posted 55 speed limit, do it when the truckers are doing it. They travel these roads, and seem to know when their odds are better. Folks can rationize all they want about speeding, but for safety's sake, it's best to obey all the traffic laws, and not exceed your vehicles limitations. I stay in the right lane whenever possible, and only use the left lane for passing. (For those that don't know that, it's even posted as such in some places.) If I'm in somebody's way, sorry, but remember, it's my highway too. Rant over!
happy campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 06:39 AM   #20
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Most studies show that leaving the required length between yourself and the vehicle in front of you causes only a matter of a few seconds delay. Part of the reason for that is because some of the time you do have to slow down to maintain the required distance but often you can speed up when there is no one that you need to slow down for.

I've found myself going 80+ mph(not towing) when I tried to keep up with someone who had passed me. It is amazing how quickly that can occur. And also how terribly dangerous it is!

Now I try to match the slower/slowest main body of traffic. That is as long as it is within the legal requirements. Or at least very close to legal.

For instance on I-5 I seldom go 55. Most often I cruise at about 60 to 64 when towing. On surface streets I adhere to the posted speed limits.

It is almost always safer to travel at the posted limits. And try to leave that required safe stopping distance between you and those in front of you. Often I will even make a game of this practice. Just to show myself that it can be done. Kinda fun.

Travel safely,

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote