Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-05-2007, 06:28 AM   #1
JBMANN52
Established Member

M.O.C. #6306
Send a message via AIM to JBMANN52
Power Stroke Cam Sensor Failure

It seems that the failure of the cam sensor on the Ford 7.3 PSD is quite common. I understand that it not uncommom for them to give it up while traveling up and down the highway leaving the stranded traveler scratching his head in wonder. I just had mine replaced but thankfully the F250 it was installed in was parked in the garage when it failed. And when it fails, your are shut down. From my searching the internet PSD forums there are many who have had to replace the unit. It appears to be a 30 minute do-it-yourself project and several in the forums stated that they carry a spare sensor, a 10mm socket, a ratchet with a 3" extension for the roadside replacement in their glovebox. I found them available at most online auto parts houses, of coarse the dealer has them and there is also a couple of sellers on Ebay that has them for around $50.00 to $60.00. Expect to pay considerable more at the parts house and dealer. No........... I paid $164.00 for the unit and $75.00 labor for my recent work but I will have one in the glove box and will know where it installs in the engine for next time.

JBMANN52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 08:54 AM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Good info JBMANN52 -

Mine went out on my 2001 and left me stuck on Memorial Day. Couldn't even get the truck out from under the Montana! Ford towed it and had it fixed same day under warranty.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 08:59 AM   #3
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
Mine went out on my 2000 power stroke as well. The dealer ate the cost for the first one and after that I went to the international dealer and got a spare one like was mentioned to carry as a spare. I got lucky mine went out after I had dropped the camper and was heading into town to get some supplies for the week. Called the dealer and they had me back up and going in no time. I never did end up using the spare one I bought. I don't think they are an issue anymore with the 6.0PSD's
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 02:11 PM   #4
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
An absolute tell tale that the sensor has failed is the tach will not move while cranking. A sign it is going bad is that the tach will jump slightly. And when the engine quits the tach needle drops instantly as opposed to following the engine speed down.
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 02:25 PM   #5
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Rick, Is the statement true about 6.0PSD not having the issue? I will surely observe the tach as potential debug clue.
Tx, Chuck
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 05:19 PM   #6
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Last summer mine failed also. With 143,000 miles, I didn't think that was too bad. I'm not handy with engines but I've been advised to carry a spare. I'm thinking....

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 08:23 AM   #7
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
I have had a spare in my glove box for about a year now. So far it has not failed although it has thrown a code once or twice. I got mine at powerstrokeshop.com
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 10:37 AM   #8
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Thank you to all who have posted info about this issue. I was not aware of this being a major problem. This was the first I'd heard of it. I will consider getting a spare. It would be nice to have in the event it does quit. But I have no idea where it goes. Guess I'll have to get my brother to show me how to do it. I do carry a spare "serpentine belt". When I had a new one put on I saved the old one..... just in case. I think I even know how to change it!

Anyway... thanks for the info.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 02:21 PM   #9
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
I have not heard of the problem with the 6.0PSD and so far I do not carry a spare with me.
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 12:34 AM   #10
JBMANN52
Established Member

M.O.C. #6306
http://www.7point3.com
The link above will direct you to a 7.3 Power Stroke diesel roadside help network web page. Once on the page click on the "Common Mods/Maintenance/used truck buyers guide". There you will see a list of mods and maintenance directions one of which is a thread from one who suggest a way to properly change the cam sensor. There is some other interesting reading for Stroke owners also.
Old 01-07-2007, 12:43 AM   #11
JBMANN52
Established Member

M.O.C. #6306
http://www.puredieselpower.com/catal...sel-p-126.html
Here is another link which has a PDF file with replacement instruction and pictures.
Old 01-07-2007, 03:25 AM   #12
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
I spoke with my friend who is a shop manager at a local ford dealership yesterday. He said the 7.3 is a great engine, but the one part which is most common to need replaced is the cam sensor. He also said the 6.0 engine doesn't have teh problem with the cam sensor. When I told him I am thinking about purchasing a 1999-2002 model he said don't hesitate to give $13,000 for one because this engine is just breaking in at 100,000-130,000 miles. I have known the guy for years and trust him. He doesn't make a commission from sales, he is just a service manager.
Phil
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 03:50 AM   #13
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
HamRad,

I have never replaced one but it looks easy to do. When you open the hood and look at the front of the engine it is located just to the left and a little below the fan assembly. Get underneath and look for the wire going to the sensor. As I understand a 10mm socket is all thats required.
Old 01-07-2007, 04:32 AM   #14
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
Ok I thought I would post a pix of the front of the 7.3 so everyone will know where the CPS is. It is number 7 in the pix.

Old 01-07-2007, 08:00 AM   #15
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Tom,
Thank you for posting the picture. I appreciate it. From the looks of it this is something that even I might be able to do. Thanks again.

Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 04:27 AM   #16
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
I had two replaced by the dealer. I bought one from NAPA about 11/2 years ago to carry in the truck, $134.

I did install one at a later date and fortunately had no problem since. Was not difficult to install.
Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 06:12 AM   #17
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Here is another 7.3 owner that has replaced the CPS. Had heard about the symptoms so saw the failure coming. It did not leave me stranded, was able to get to a dealer and was done under warranty.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 04:02 AM   #18
Wandering Star
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #50
Got 160,000 miles on my 2000 ford 7.3 and have replaced cam sensor twice. The last time was a nightmare. Just hook up and ready to depart campsite when truck would not start. Ford dealer was within 2 miles from site but would not tow because truck was not bought there. Had to call my buddy who has a Dodge to pull my truck from underneath my trailer to get it off site so I could get at the trailer. He didn't have a 5th wheel hitch to pull trailer. Naturally as he pulled me through campground he had to blow horn to make everyone aware that a Dodge was rescuing a Ford. Finally got in contact with a fellow 5th wheel camper who also owns a Ford to come and pull trailer off site to my home. This took another two hours and you know from the beginning of this fiasco the oncoming camper was waiting to pull on, he wasn't to happy but there wasn't to much he could do about it.

To make matters worse when I finally found a garage other then the ford dealer ( I go to hell and back before I take truck there) to make repairs, he couldn't tow truck because it was to heavy, he had and old GM. we did it the old way with a Length a chain and got it to the shop. He knew right away what it was because he repairs town vechiles with the 7.3 engines.

So people what I want to say to each and everyone who contribuated to this thread is thank you for your websites, pictures, and tool list. You know I will purchase and carry necessary items to make my own repairs.

By the way, the only trouble I have had with truck has been the cam sensor, it's been a great truck.
Thanks Jon
Wandering Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 04:32 PM   #19
wileecoyote985
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2134
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by trukdoc

An absolute tell tale that the sensor has failed is the tach will not move while cranking. A sign it is going bad is that the tach will jump slightly. And when the engine quits the tach needle drops instantly as opposed to following the engine speed down.
Not trying to argue, but have read quite a bit about this issue on
thedieselstop.com forums. Your statement about the tach is apparently true for older 7.3 powerstrokes, but Ford apparently changed the tach feed location on later model 7.3's. On the later model 7.3's the tach will still show a reading when cranking even with a failed sensor.

While I'm basically happy with my 7.3 F-250 IMHO this is an issue that Ford has been very reluctant to step up to the plate on. A failure could cost someone their life if it happened at precisely the wrong time (while passing, etc.) and it is definitely a safety issue. There should be a redesign of this sensor and a recall to replace them before someone is killed.

gary
wileecoyote985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 06:27 AM   #20
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
The links in this thread show the the tach signal comes from other than the CPS in later model 7.3's. But if your 7.3 just quits cold for no apparent reason it is a good guess that it is the cps. It should throw a code for those with code readers. Mine has thrown out a code a couple of times but still hangs in there. It threw it while climbing and near the top of mountain grade while the transmission shifted.

Worst case would be on mountain descent while towing. You will have your hands full to safely make it to the bottom. I would hope for one of the runaway ramps for stopping and replace the cps on the spot and continue.