Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-02-2006, 06:57 AM   #1
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Satellite Internet & TV Service

Are there any experts out there to tell me how to do this?

My wants are pretty basic, but the solution and how to get the installation done evade me.

One of the problems about setting up a new RV, is that everyone has their own solution to a problem, and everyone thinks that their solution is the best, thank you in advance for your suggestions, but I am pretty solid on what I want.

I want: Satellite TV and Internet both on the same dish, TiVo too. Because of the tree cover etc. I would like a dish mounted on a tripod that I can move around obstructions for the best view. I also want local channels for Seattle. No, I do not want anything to do with WiFi cards, or dialup connections. We are computer power-users that will use the computer every single day. The monthly cost is not a problem.

I have read about the expensive $5-7K models, the ones that automatically "site in", but I don't mind buying whatever apparatus it takes to aim my own dish. I would welcome training!....but where?

Also, how do I get this installed? Do you have names and phone numbers? ..web address? something?

Thank you in advance.

simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 07:05 AM   #2
kwbosch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3237
I'm no expert and I don't have this sytem but I think this is what you're looking for.

http://www.dustyfoot.com/

Ken
kwbosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 07:18 AM   #3
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Robbie, I wouldn't bypass the WiFi aspect. Most laptops come with it included anymore. The satellite systems are OK, and there will be someone along shortly to help in that aspect, but WiFi is a great backup system.

With the rapid spread if this system, it will be a matter of time before you won't be able to go somewhere where it ISN'T. Mich State Parks now all have it. I heard all Texas rest areas now have it. Most private parks that don't have it are scrambling to get it set up, as it is a huge draw now for all RVers.

I guess it would depend also on where, and how, you plan on camping. Are you going to be boondocking, or in full hookup, higher end campgrounds? Are you planning on moving around every few days to a week, or do you plan on going somewhere and setting up for a month or more at a time? Are you a weekender or fulltimer (FTer)?

All these things will make a difference on the type of advice you get, I believe.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 07:50 AM   #4
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
I have to disagree with you a bit here Dave. While WiFi is becoming more common it is not always strong and not always fast. The setup Ken gave the link to is the one HamRad and several others have. Dennis (HamRad) has his DirecTV and DirecWay together. We kept our separate because we don't always want to set up the DirecWay and do usually set up DirecTV. I suggest Robbie email Dennis and talk to him. Sharon and Bob (Firefighter and Firefighterwife) are also very good with this system. Since Robbie says they are power users, I believe they will be happier with a DirecWay system and it won't cost $4000-$5000 only under $2000.
Happy trails...................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 11:43 AM   #5
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
If you are truly "power users", then probably none of the portable options will really satisfy you. Satellite is probably the best bet, but we have it at home, and it is a long way from Cable or other truly high speed options that are available in urban areas. Also, none of the options will work in all circumstances.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 12:24 PM   #6
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Sue,

I have to tell you that we have direcway 2 way for internet at home, and if we could dump the thing it would be gone faster than I could shoot that danged dish off the roof of the house! (ohhhh, have to go find something to shoot with, as we have no guns! ooops) We dream of wifi or DSL or something. But we live so far out, the chances are between slim and none. SIGH

Anyway, it is better than dial up and better than my speed with my cellphone (not the air card, the phone as the modem), somewhat better.

Al would like to get satelitte TV tho! [D:] Personally I could care less.

Guess this is another of those personal choice issues. My choice, for what it is worth (that ain't much) is wifi!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 01:42 PM   #7
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I was figuring WiFi would be a "cure-all", Sue. It sounds like I was a little to optimistic about that for any high speed access? According to Carol, I may be a liitle optimistic about Satellite, too?
Old 04-02-2006, 01:56 PM   #8
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Remember WiFi is only as good as the server is receiving. So if the WiFi server is not on a good, fast, high speed internet connection then neither are you. Also some of the servers are not set up correctly or monitored well. The CG at the Minden rally has WiFi that you paid for and it was only at about 30% most of the time.
Carol, aren't you having problems with yours because it gets iced up?
Happy trails..........................
Old 04-02-2006, 02:59 PM   #9
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Sue,

Yep, it got iced up, but that was only the last situation. We have never been that happy with it from day one. It is a bit better on the server computer, but, I am always running OFF the server via hard wire and I tell you waiting for pages to load gets my goat!

I think Al is considering an upgrade when we get home, repoint and all that junk that will have to be done. I have little faith, and I hope I am WRONG WRONG WRONG. I would be delighted to be wrong.

The service is not cheap, and the customer service is non existant. Al has to deal with them, I cannot stand the stress. I let him deal, and I go edit something or search for some long gone ancestor till he gets it fixed!

I don't know if a dish on or in Montana would be any better, all that pointing and testing stuff sounds right up Al's alley, and confusing to me. I would still like to not pay those big bucks for what I feel is inferior service and non existant customer service.

We had our service suspended in January, I get hives thinking about what we might have to go through to get it hooked back up. And,I think we still are paying a bunch of coin, I'll have to ask Al about that tho, to be sure.

Wifi, for sure, is in its infancy and has progress to make. But, got to say, once I got this one up and running here at BPV, it has been pretty good. Course, look what I have to compare it to. (snicker)
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 07:15 PM   #10
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Carol,
While I agree with that the price isn't cheap (59.95 per month), most of the cable is that much after the first 3 or 6 months. Read the fine print. Also I agree with DirecWay customer service but if you go though someone like DustyFoot it is better. Once we got set up we had great service and no problems except in a severe storm which all services have problems. One thing to consider before you purchase any system is the download speed is great but the upload speed is not, so if you need to upload large files somewhere it will be slower. I was very spoiled because we had T-1 lines at the school districts which are fast both ways. Most of the time for the normal user this is not a problem but if you are running a business, it might be a problem.
Happy trails........................
Old 04-02-2006, 09:12 PM   #11
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Sue,
All things in California are faster...LOL!! I just got home from a week in the Sunnyvale area, and holy cow best sums that experience up. I will admit I do like the fact that traffic on the interstates move at 75-90mph everywhere you go. While staying with a friend I found I was able to log into 8 different wifi servers for free, had to get my daily dose of the MOC. =) Also found that HD TV is free there as well, if you have the antenna you can get 14 channels in HD w/o a cable subscription. Funny part how the rest of the world seems to move at a much slower pace than California. =)

On another thought, I was thinking of getting Direct tv or Dish Network installed in the rv, but have decided against it. There does not seem to be any consistant service with a satellite dish, would rather spend the money else where.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 05:14 AM   #12
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Getting back to Simonsrf's original question, I do not know of any system that will ensure you local Seattle coverage from everywhere. If there is a system out there we sure would like to hear about it. Because we are fulltimers, the only way we can get Minneapolis local news is to get it off the computer.
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 06:23 AM   #13
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331

Likewise, back to the original question..I haven't been able to determine if satellite TV and Internet are available in a one dish installation. Probably so. However, cost of satellite Internet, compared to our existant wi-fi capability and Internet connectivity via cell phone put that on the back burner. I would suggest personal contact with Direct TV, Directway and Dish. Also look in the back of "Motorhome" and "Trailer Life" magazines for appropriate ads.

Other concerns and questions to ask of the "representatives". Get the answers in writing!!!

1. Do I have to be connected to a "land line" telephone for Ti-Vo (or their equivalent)
to work. I think the answer is "Yes, you have to have a land-line telephone connection, probably 24/7. IF that is the case, so much for the Ti-Vo requirement. In my understanding, the software updates, schedules, preferences are all sent back and forth via land-line, not satellite. There may be a new DVD recording system which will function, sort of, like Ti-Vo, but will require lots of personal attention to recording times and set-ups. Don't think that is what you have in mind.

2. Can I get Seattle "local" TV via satellite, wherever I am?. I think the answer is "No". See previous discissions in the Forum re that issue..about a month ago. Everyone has to be a "resident" of somewhere. You have to have a vehicle Registration, and, in general, that address determines where your "somewhere" is. As an RVer, using satellite sevice, your Vehicle Registration address also determines whose "local" channels you can get. If your RV is registered in Seattle, you can get Seattle "local" channels. Since "local" channels are "spot beamed" to an area approximatley around 250-300 miles around their specific area, no reception via satellite is possible if you are outside the "local" area. It is not physically posssible to get Seattle local TV in, say, St. Louis, probably not even Boise.

Now, Catch 22....because of FCC rules, you can't access "local" TV via satellite from any other "local" areas, even if you are in that area. For example, Seattle-registered RVers can't get LA "local" when they are in the LA area, and they are too far from the Seattle "spot transmission" area to get Seattle stations. Stupid law, but that is the way it is, and the satellite provider's hands are tied!

"Local" TV is always available via rooftop antenna (free) and/or cable, which many RV parks have for free or very minimal cost. But, again, once you leave the Seattle area, you won't see Seattle local TV until you return, except possibly via Internet from your favorite Seattle TV station's "webcast". That gets REAL complicated, obviously.

You can get BOTH East Coast AND West Coast Network feeds, NYC and LA Network stations and their "local" news, for a small additional fee. Fine, if you are a New Yorker or an Angeleno, but not much help for Seattleites or from Phoenix sun-worshipers. There are other advantages to that service, however, which can make it worthwhile. Look at previous discussions re same general subject.

One more suggestion..check other Forums...escapees.com, RVnet, etc., with the same question. Use their search engines as well.

Good luck on your quest. I'll be interested to see if you can get, at least, one or two out of your three requirements. Please keep us advised!
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 06:32 AM   #14
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
Check the following topic..

http://montanaadministrator.forumco....C_ID~14083.asp
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 11:14 PM   #15
RADHAZJOE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3149
I wouldnot give you a knickle for any of them.
RADHAZJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 12:59 PM   #16
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
So I guess we just wait for a new technology? Like streaming video? A few companies are developing this technology and starting to set up networks. Just a matter of time. Already available in several markets... streaming video to your handheld/cell phone. Not that big of a jump to convert your TV over. Not sure on the initial quality, though. Four years from now. Let's see how well I predict... Streaming video to LCD flat screen TVs. From a network set up by Verizon/ATT. (Not free, BTW)

Heaven forbid this country should ever have a massive power outage. My Dad already thinks we're all on the verge of riding horses now. Wonder what size team of horses you would need to haul a Monty around??? Budweiser, anyone???...