Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 09-19-2005, 11:59 PM   #1
BandJ
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #93
Propane Storage Doors

The doors to my propane storage compartments continue to open during traveling due to vibration. I have tried everything I can think of to secure the doors. I've tighten the screws. Added washers. replaced the latch completely.

Now I put white duct tape on the outside every time I travel.

Does anyone have any suggestions.

BandJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 02:18 AM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Hello Bryan and Judy,
Our first outing saw us place a lot of duct tape on one of our propane doors. The problem and fix is actually very simple. The way I fixed it was to remove the latches and turn them over. Gravity is at play here as well as vibration and wind. The original installation allowed all those forces to work the latch open. By turning them around all those forces now work to keep the latches closed. This may sound hard but when you look at the way they are installed you'll see what I mean.

We no longer have to use duct tape on them! But we still carry a couple of rolls of that good stuff! Don't leave home without it!

Happy travels....

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 03:49 AM   #3
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
I did the same as HamRad and it works! Not sure why you have so much vibration there?

Are you saying both sides vibrate open or just one side. The way the latches are installed one door (and I can't remember which one)the catch moves down to open the door. That is the side you have to take the latch out and flip the catch part 180* so it opens by moving up not down. The outside handle will turn backwards from before but you get used to it. If both doors are opening that may be require a different solution.

I have used some light clear plastic tubing and sliped it over the catch on other RV's and it has helped with vibration issues. You should feel the catch as it locks over the inside frame of the door. You may even have to apply light pressure right on the handle to get it to latch with the correct tension on the catch part. Make sure the catch is not upside down, some have a slight bent offset. You can also bend the catch enough to tighten it.
drhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 11:02 AM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We did the similar to HamRad. If you look at one side, when the latch moves from closed to open it moves in an upward direction. The other side moves in the downward direction and that's where gravity takes control, as noted. remove the screw, turn the lever 90 degrees and put the screw back in. We learned this on a fifthwheel about 5 years ago and have chaned it on each trailer since. Not one single incident of propane doors opening on the road since that change.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 03:10 AM   #5
BandJ
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #93
Thank you. I will make the change.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by HamRad

Hello Bryan and Judy,
Our first outing saw us place a lot of duct tape on one of our propane doors. The problem and fix is actually very simple. The way I fixed it was to remove the latches and turn them over. Gravity is at play here as well as vibration and wind. The original installation allowed all those forces to work the latch open. By turning them around all those forces now work to keep the latches closed. This may sound hard but when you look at the way they are installed you'll see what I mean.

We no longer have to use duct tape on them! But we still carry a couple of rolls of that good stuff! Don't leave home without it!

Happy travels....

HamRad
Old 09-21-2005, 03:11 AM   #6
BandJ
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #93
Thank you for your input.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

We did the similar to HamRad. If you look at one side, when the latch moves from closed to open it moves in an upward direction. The other side moves in the downward direction and that's where gravity takes control, as noted. remove the screw, turn the lever 90 degrees and put the screw back in. We learned this on a fifthwheel about 5 years ago and have chaned it on each trailer since. Not one single incident of propane doors opening on the road since that change.
Old 09-22-2005, 10:41 AM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Sorry, Don. I totally missed your post when I posted mine. With all the hours between our posts I cannot claim you posted while I was composing mine! Now, if I could only read as quickly as I can type!
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 12:49 PM   #8
Montana_1929
Established Member

M.O.C. #1929
Why not put keyed latches on? (Locks)

Dave
Montana_1929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 01:36 PM   #9
RVWheels
Moderator Emeritus

M.O.C. #29
sjordan007,
The reason has to do with safety. Most, if not all, states have laws stating ANYONE must have access to the tanks. This is in case of an emergency the valves can be turned off.

RVWheels
RVWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 03:21 PM   #10
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
RVWheels--thanks for pointing out the safety and legality issue there. Keyed locks would have seemed a sensible solution to those of us who did not remember (or ever hear about) those points.
Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote