Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Insurance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-24-2010, 11:34 AM   #1
pbahlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9380
Full Timer's Liability vs. Home Owner's Liability

I'm in the process of evaluating full timer's coverage and have come across a puzzling issue. It seems that liability coverage under a typical homeowner's insurance policy is different than liability coverage when it comes to what kinds of things are covered.

The way it was explained to me is that homeowner's (sticks and bricks) policies cover you for liability anywhere. You don't have to be anywhere near your home or doing anything home related to be covered. You can drive a golf ball through a window while vacationing on Maui (yeah right) and be covered. Full timer's liability doesn't do that.

My question is then, what exactly is covered? What if my dog bites somebody on a walk in the RV park? Is it covered? What if he bites somebody at my front door? Is it covered?

I've got one quote that is supposed to cover more like a traditional homeowner's policy but it's about $200 more and I would like to know what I'm getting for my $$$ or not getting if I save the $$$.

pbahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 12:02 PM   #2
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
You are asking a good question that can only be answered by reading the policy. In general terms, you are correct in that, comprehensive personal liability coverage that is a part of most homeowners coverage is a world-wide coverage. Full-timers liability coverage is attached to an RV policy assuming that you no longer have a homeowners policy that would otherwise provide coverage. In other words, full timers coverage would be a duplicate of your liability coverage on your homeowners. I normally only sell full timers liability coverage for those that do not still own a home. If you're like us, we own a home and the Monte. I don't have full timers liability on my RV as it would be duplicate of the liability insurance on my homeowners.

To answer your question about dog bites, there is no coverage difference where it might happen. You should however check to see that there are no animial exclusions or coverage limitations with respects to pets.

Again my advise is to get a copy of the the policy. Read Section II, liability. Pay particular attention to the definitions and exclusions. You will have questions after reading the contract, that is the time to sit down with your agent and have them provide further explanation. Although laws and contracts vary from state to state, PM me if I can be of assistance.
Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 01:27 PM   #3
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
you need to talk to a good agent....give them examples and then let them show you where it is in the policy.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 05:38 PM   #4
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Don't let an agent tell you, But that's what it means. A few years ago a friend of mine was looking for ins on his boat. He routinely used it off shore in international waters, in reading a policy it read "not valid in International waters" The agent said, "But that's not what it means". Needless to say he went with someone else. As suggested, make them show you everything you can think of to know what you are paying for.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote