Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-04-2009, 06:49 PM   #1
sandslugs
Established Member

M.O.C. #9657
12 volt light flicker

Hi

We have a 04 montana 3480Rl. We have recently purchased it, and have noticed that the 12 volt lights start flickering when the furnace fan kicks in. Has anyone had this problem, and any idea how to fix it?One other question, there a two 8" clear lights (one on each side)on the outside of the trailer. We are not sure how to turn them on, we think that it must be the middle switch of the three switches by the computer desk, the left switch turns on the 12 volt lights in the kitchen living area, the right switch turns the exterior door light, but what does the middle switch turn on? We think it is for the exterior large lights, but nothing happens... Is that middle switch for the exterior lights? Perhaps they are just burnt out?
Your advice is greatly appreciated.
Don

sandslugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 02:58 AM   #2
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Don, I have an 06 3400 but sounds like the same switch configuration and YES the middle switch is the "scare" lights outside. I would check the bulbs first, then make sure you are getting power to the switch. Odd that both bulbs would be out at same time, but possible....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 03:09 AM   #3
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by exav8tr

Don, I have an 06 3400 but sounds like the same switch configuration and YES the middle switch is the "scare" lights outside. I would check the bulbs first, then make sure you are getting power to the switch. Odd that both bulbs would be out at same time, but possible....
Both our scare lights went out at the same time. I just knew I had lost voltage to the lights, but new bulbs solved the problem.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 12:01 PM   #4
sandslugs
Established Member

M.O.C. #9657
Thanks i will check the bulbs out. Now is there anyone can tell me why the 12 volt lights flicker when the furnace fan kicks in, foregot to mention that we are hooked up to shore power when this happens so i don't think it would be because of a low battery. but could there be a problem with the innverter?
Don.
sandslugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 04:57 AM   #5
jrhaman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6999
I am curious as to any explanation to this as our does the same thing but not for any reason that I can tell. They just start flickering and I will turn some off and then turn the converter breaker off and on and it stops. Might not happen again for a month or 2. I thought maybe we were using more juice than the batteries could supply or something like that. Electricity, 12v or 120v is not my forte.
jrhaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 05:32 AM   #6
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Would the lights be dimming instead of flickering? If so, I would think this might be a pretty common problem. The motor will draw quite a few amps more starting than running, and wiring is probably inadequate to handle the surge. It just sucks the juice out of everything else on the 12 volt system resulting in dimming lights.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 11:43 AM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Don, this might be a longshot but we've had that happen when somehow the breaker for the converter tripped. It's in the breaker box. When that happens the battery is not being charged and as it gets weaker the lights get dimmer (which is how I usually discover the problem) and the draw of the furnace kicking off causes flickering.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 09:17 AM   #8
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
The switch on my scare lights has broken, I'm ordering new switch. The wireing in the wall has two wires to the switch and one wire has another spliced in up further on the wire. If those are seperated can I put in a SPDT (I think) switch and run them seperatly and not hav both on at the same time or install another switch and have two? any advise

Thanks
Bob
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 11:47 AM   #9
farmboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9087
Send a message via Yahoo to farmboy
The splices you are looking at are probable the hot wires going to the other sw.s for the other lights. The splices for the lighs is probably much closer to the lights, like behind one or the other to reduce wire run lenghts.JMO
farmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 03:09 PM   #10
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
To seperate the left and right side scare lights I had to run a separate wire and then add a separate switch. Fun job.
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 03:28 PM   #11
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I say it could be a loose common wire in the service tower of the RVpark it happened to me the same thing, it also cooked my plug. also check all you connectors in the fuse box retighten all the screws that hold wires.