Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > TIRES, Montana Tires
Click Here to Login

Old 02-22-2018, 04:30 PM   #1
denandannie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11789
In Praise of Marathon Tires--Sorta

I know its customary to bash the Marathon tires. Disasters have been well documented. I've had my Marathons for nearly seven years and had never had one ounce of problems. Of course, I drive no faster than 60 and am very careful about not overloading the RV.

In August, 2017, while beginning an eight week RV venture, we were about 50 miles north of Madras, Oregon, on hwy 97, when, you guessed it happened. We pulled into a rest stop, when the outside temperature was about 90. While using our own bathroom, someone knocked on our door and told us we had a flat tire. I proceeded to change the tire. Using that yellow ramp we all have to raise the tire off the ground--was totally useless. It did raise the tire some, but not enough to get the tire off the ground. I had to borrow some blocks from another traveler so my bottle jack would be high enough to raise the tire--which it did. Do you have any idea how hard it is to pump a bottle jack and raise a trailer? Not fun.

An hour later we were on the road. And the Marathon tire? Split on the sidewall about 16 inches. The good Lord was watching over us as it could have been far worse and blown out while we were traveling. At least they gave us seven years of service without any problems.

At our next camp, we located a Les Schwab and put four new tires on before we were on our way.

Isn't RVing fun?

denandannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 04:52 PM   #2
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Tires should be replaced at max of 5 years even if they still look good regardless of mileage.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 05:07 PM   #3
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Lady Luck was smiling on you.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 05:34 PM   #4
bigred715
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5091
My 2010 Montana 3000RK came with Marathon tires and they lasted 2 yrs before replacing all of them with Michelins. Had a sidewall blowout with only 15,000 miles on them. I think this person is definately in the minority to get this kind of mileage.
bigred715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 09:54 PM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Never gave ours a chance. One month after we got the old rig they went to a rancher and we got 614's.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 04:20 AM   #6
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

The Goodyear G614 is a 7 year tire.

No fiber cords in that one only steel side walls and all.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 09:43 AM   #7
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
I just don't know what is the problem with you folks. I pulled my 3582RL a whole 5 miles to a Discount Tire store to have the Trailer Kings replaced with some Goodrich tires. Not one time during that trip did the TKs give me a problem and I think that is great service from thouse tires.

Now 4 years latter and looking at a 9,000 mile trip in September I will replace the Goodrich with Sailun's.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 10:01 AM   #8
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by denandannie View Post
I know its customary to bash the Marathon tires. Disasters have been well documented. I've had my Marathons for nearly seven years and had never had one ounce of problems. Of course, I drive no faster than 60 and am very careful about not overloading the RV.

In August, 2017, while beginning an eight week RV venture, we were about 50 miles north of Madras, Oregon, on hwy 97, when, you guessed it happened. We pulled into a rest stop, when the outside temperature was about 90. While using our own bathroom, someone knocked on our door and told us we had a flat tire. I proceeded to change the tire. Using that yellow ramp we all have to raise the tire off the ground--was totally useless. It did raise the tire some, but not enough to get the tire off the ground. I had to borrow some blocks from another traveler so my bottle jack would be high enough to raise the tire--which it did. Do you have any idea how hard it is to pump a bottle jack and raise a trailer? Not fun.

An hour later we were on the road. And the Marathon tire? Split on the sidewall about 16 inches. The good Lord was watching over us as it could have been far worse and blown out while we were traveling. At least they gave us seven years of service without any problems.

At our next camp, we located a Les Schwab and put four new tires on before we were on our way.

Isn't RVing fun?

I assume you went to Sailuns
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 10:51 AM   #9
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
It might be a smaller percentage of the China Bombs that blow, but it really BLOWS when they do. And cause a major drag on your schedule getting the 5er repair and a claim on your insurance. SO FOOD FOR THOUGHT. minimizes a headache. Biggest problem Sailun might get to much business. Now we a Sailun tire dealer with some good lookin stronger wheels. Just sayin
Ram Montana High Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 09:26 AM   #10
masterdrago
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20587
We had original Marathons on our boat trailer. They were made in New Zealand. At 7 years (pushing age starting to get cracks and rot) we had our first tread separation. Were going slow so no damage. Did not even deflate the tire. Got a couple of new Marathons (made in China). Now use them as spares after running them a couple more years. At 9 years old put on new Maxxis M8008 but still keep the youngest Marathons as spares. On our 5r, run Sailun tires.