Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 04-09-2017, 05:18 AM   #1
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Dometic A&E power awning quit working.

Hi

The Dometic A&E power awning never worked correctly from the time we got this unit until today. The awning was all ways slow to extend and retract then a few months ago it almost didn’t retract but we were able to get it closed by pushing it in while wife held the switch.

This is the last thing I will repair that was not working properly when the unit was new.

I first extended the awing about 2 turns and it stopped and would not go in or out. So following the Dometic repair manual I tied the arm with a strap and pined the spring end cap and removed the bolt the held the bracket to the arm. I made a tool to handle the spring end with and unpinned the spring to find it was not wound more than 2 turns. So I wound it the 11 turns the manual called for and put the pin back in and assembled the awing.

This time it retracted all the way closed but when I extended it again it stopped about 2 turns out.

So in accordance with the manual I did the pint thing again and removed the motor. What I found was the motor had been assembled incorrectly when manufactured.

The first picture is of the drive end of the motor you can see 2 nylon washers under the nut.

The second picture is if the space between the motor and the piece that engages the awning tube if you look closely you will see the piece is touching the motor end plate screws.

The third picture is the drive plate after removal the shiny ring near the center is where the screws wore the metal away.

The forth picture is of the nut with the proper nylon washer in place the other one is behind the drive plate and gave clearance from the screws (I guess I forgot to get a picture on the back side.).

The fifth picture is of the other end of the motor showing the rust in the area where the nylon support bearing rides. This was probably the real reason for the motor to stop working.

The awning now works better than it did new.

Phil P
Attached Images

Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 08:20 AM   #2
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
Always wondered what I would find inside the tube if I had issues and so now I know. Great pictures. And nice to know that someone has tackled the tube.
jcurtis934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 03:49 AM   #3
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

A word of caution do not work on these units without the manual and then follow it in detail. We had a fellow lose some fingers this winter at the KOA trying to work on one.

Also there is a reason for only doing the maintenance with the unit out only 2 turns. The pin is of a diameter that doesn’t make it the strongest thing to use.

Phil P
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 07:04 AM   #4
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Great post, thanks.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote