Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2015, 01:43 PM   #1
kountry traveler
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9428
Winegard Razar Antenna

Has anyone installed the new Winegard automatic Razar 8500 antenna and what were the results. Trailer Life had very positive reviews about it but would like some input from anyone who has one.

Thank you,
Allan Olson [aka] kountry traveler

kountry traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 03:45 PM   #2
Starmaster
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #16103
Hi Allan,

I recently replaced the original Sensor antenna (no wingman UHF add-on ant) with a Razor upgrade head. I also installed the Sensor Pro amplifier as well. Prior to installing the amp, the reception was somewhat improved over the Sensor. That is to say I received more stations with the Razor and the signal strength was improved.

If I had installed the wingman onto the Sensor, I feel that combination would have been as good or better than the Razor. However, since the Razor receives signals equally well from the back of the antenna as it does the front, you will potentially receive more stations without having to re-point the antenna.

The down side to the Razor is the fact that it is primarily a UHF antenna with some high-band VHF capability, It can not receive channels 2-6, but the Sensor antenna can. All (most) of your major digital TV stations broadcast on the UHF band, so there are only a few stations scattered across the US that you would not be able to receive with the Razor antenna.

The real whipped topping on the TV antenna pie is the Sensor Pro amplifier. It makes the difference between being able to receive distant / weak stations and not getting anything. The Sensor Pro amp will work with either the original Sensor antenna or the Razor antenna.

Hope the above is useful info and worth every cent you paid for it!

Dave
Starmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 02:09 PM   #3
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
There are multiple razar antennas. The 8500 is a round unit that mounts to the roof only and it auto rotates to find stations. I am scheduled to install one in december on friends motorhome. John
Old 08-05-2015, 04:12 PM   #4
Starmaster
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #16103
Oops! I should have paid more attention to the model number, sorry.

I don't have any experience with the 8500, but at $400 it does seem a bit pricey for an off-the-air TV antenna. The Razor Air and the Sensor Pro are about $125, but you do have to do a station search by turning the antenna manually.

The 8500 does look like the final high tech answer to RV TV antennas and you don't have to remember to crank it down before you hit the road.

If you do install one, it would be great to get your impressions.

Dave
Starmaster is offline   Reply With Quote