Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-19-2013, 08:54 AM   #1
ctwebb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13637
New problem with the Monty

Well it looks like I have another problem . My 318 RL High Country has the frameless windows . I noticed one of the glass sections is about to fall off the unit, Really getting frustrated with the quality of the Keystone brand, These things cost way too much money to have things like this happen, Not to mention still get wiring fault messages on the dash of my F-250.

ctwebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 10:12 AM   #2
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
Suggest you check the truck's connections before tearing into the RV. My 250 had same problem.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 10:42 AM   #3
ctwebb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13637
Thanks Pineranch , I have replaced the plug on the truck and still get the message, I had a TT before this unit and never got the message I took the new 5er back to the dealer two weeks ago and they tell me no problems were found. So I am kind of lost at this point on what to do next.
Old 10-19-2013, 11:40 AM   #4
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
Remove the emergency plug and put it back. That fixed mine.
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 01:39 PM   #5
ctwebb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13637
Thanks KOLCB i'll try that.
Old 10-19-2013, 02:03 PM   #6
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Chris, since your unit is a 2014 contact both your dealer and Keystone and tell them about the window and see what they have to say! We've had good luck with Customer Service at Keystone and I'm sure they will work with you IF your are courteous to them. One thing they do not like is someone calling in and going off the deep end on them and threatening them. Sugar is much better than vinegar! I think KOLCB has a good idea. Pull the emergency brake plug out on the hitch and put it back in. I've seen that cause the computer read out on the dash to give the message before. If you have taken it to the dealer on that problem and they said no problems were found, I'd try checking the power cord from the truck to the Monte myself. Hopefully, you have a meter to do so or know of someone that can. I've seen dealers say they couldn't find anything and all of a sudden they find it after a second attempt also. Keep us informed on what you do and find out!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 03:54 PM   #7
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Window is surely under warranty. Break away switch likely culprit for elect problem.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 03:17 AM   #8
ctwebb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13637
Thanks guys , I will call customer service on Monday , I definitely will not go off the deep end with them , I learned a long time ago that gets you no where. I was hoping they would be able to send someone out for the window, I am afraid to pull it down the highway in fear it can fall out.
Old 10-20-2013, 04:35 AM   #9
hunts800
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11457
Not sure this is your problem, but I found out after numerous "trailer wiring warnings" on my dash that Dexter runs their trailer brake wires INSIDE the axles. My brake wire on the front axle had rubbed the insulation off the wire and was causing an intermittent short when the trailer moved while in motion. Ran the wires outside the axles and now two years later error message has not re-occurred.
Old 10-20-2013, 06:30 AM   #10
ctwebb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13637
Thanks Hunts, That may be my next thing to look at, I have reset the emergency brake switch and that did not correct it. I asked the dealer about this and they said there was no way to test that. I think when I call Keystone on Monday, I will ask if I can take it to another Keystone dealer, We are not very happy with the service crew where we purchased the unit.
Old 10-20-2013, 07:09 AM   #11
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Chris, recently I started keeping a spread sheet of repair facilities recommended by folks on the forum (also a list of bad experiences) since i don't know who your dealer is and I didn't keep track of who's a Keystone dealer since we're out of warranty it may be of no use, but here's what I have for Tennessee:
In Alcoa, Northgate RV
In the Gatlinburg Pigeon Forge area, Ricky's RV Repair (not a dealer so not for warrantee work but good to know about because of several good reports)
In Nashville, Cullum and Maxey

Hope this helps!
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 07:42 AM   #12
daily double
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9256
I replaced the female connection,(the one under the rear bumper ) and no more wiring fault messages. The dealer tested the one that came off and declared it good, but he was wrong!
daily double is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 08:00 AM   #13
ctwebb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13637
Thanks Dick, We purchased our from Northgate , I am close to Nashville so maybe Keystone will let me take it to Cullum and Maxey for the warranty work. I have been there many times and seem to be really nice people.
Old 10-20-2013, 02:18 PM   #14
Overlord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11202
Sometimes the wiring inside one of the brake drums gets the insulation stripped off of it from being in contact with and rubbed by the movement of the magnet linkage. It can then short out to the axle and cause intermittent or continuous problems.

At least that is what happened in my case.

A short inside the axle tube is also a possible cause as hunts800 mentioned.
Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 12:51 PM   #15
JohnG3
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1972
Had the same issue with our Titanium. The plastic coating on one of the wires at the magnet inside the brake drum chaffed. The warning was intermittent. At least I found it after removing the second drum.
JohnG3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 01:07 PM   #16
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Wow. Frameless windows, what will they think of next? Somehow that already sounds like a problem.

Good luck with your fixes ctwebb.

I also love a dealer that says,"No problem found" because if they keep saying that the complainant will fix it themselves. I wish they would just be honest and say, "we are too lazy and cheap to spend time and money on your problem because it sounds like it's gonna take a long time or be a hard one to fix".
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 02:06 PM   #17
Hooker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7915
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Art-n-Marge

...Wow. Frameless windows, what will they think of next? Somehow that already sounds like a problem...
Who knows what's next. In the MH industry, there have been only a few problems, they are very easy to clean...and really look neat.
Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 03:23 PM   #18
Desert RVer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9307
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by hunts800

Not sure this is your problem, but I found out after numerous "trailer wiring warnings" on my dash that Dexter runs their trailer brake wires INSIDE the axles. My brake wire on the front axle had rubbed the insulation off the wire and was causing an intermittent short when the trailer moved while in motion. Ran the wires outside the axles and now two years later error message has not re-occurred.
I'm having a similar problem with the brake wiring on our 2006 3400RL with Dexter axles. I get an error message on the brake controller occasionally. Then I go out and pull the wires inside the axle a bit and the error message goes away for quite some time but may come back much later on. But... I am unable to detect where the short is occurring. Where was the insulation worn off on your wires?
Desert RVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 04:02 PM   #19
hunts800
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11457
They had to pull the wire out of both axles, found the frayed insulation on the wire on the front axle, about a foot inside the axle. Re-wired both axles with wires OUTSIDE the axles using numerous zip ties. Can now inspect the wiring. That was over 15,000 miles ago and no further brake wiring warnings!
Old 11-15-2013, 04:49 PM   #20
2Wanderers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9998
Had a problem similar to this. Salt air and moisture caused an intermittent short between wires in the T connector between the factory wiring harness and the bumper trailer outlet. The T connector was used to wire in a in-bed trailer outlet. The backside of the T connector was not potted and I fixed it by cleaning out the corrosion and potting the area with silicone. May not be your issue at all, but is worth looking into.