Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-07-2013, 06:25 PM   #1
GregN
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6790
Electrical Guru Help Please (Solved)

After 3 hours of troubleshooting, the problem showed up. It turn out to be a small surge protector that I have for my laptop, to use at hotels, well it was plugged in. After many start ups and shuts downs, finally did not plug that back in. Power has now been on for 2 hours no problem. When I did plug in the little surge protector for the laptop, the little light on in was steady then started blinking quite a lot. Unplugged it, did not plug back, now no problems. But at least I know all the connections for electrical boxes and plugs are tight.

Thanks again for everyones help.

Old 08-07-2013, 06:43 PM   #2
RonD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8962
Greg, I would start with locating every outlet on the GFIC run, second I would pull all the outlets out from the boxs and look at the connections, then retest, if it still trips disconnect one at a time you will find it, it takes very little to trip one, the exterior should be a GFIC also, the refer should not, but that may be the way there built, you will never, or should never see that done in a house, the breaker should have nothing to do with it, I would try to locate the last one on the run, and start disconnecting at that point, working toward the input side, you also may try first blowing air in all the outlets, something, or water may be in there, also test with the refer unplugged, good luck report back with the results
RonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 01:00 AM   #3
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
The key was that you had the rig washed. The slightest bit of dampness in any outlet protected by the GFCI will cause it to trip. There is most likely nothing wrong with the connections but you can ceck to make sure. My money is on dampness.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 02:17 AM   #4
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
Try looking at the boxes where electrical connections are on the outside. Namely the ones under the slides. I had a junction box that was full of water from a leak behind the convenience center and it was dripping right down a wire harness. Replaced all the parts in the box and fixed leak and sealed the wire harness. No more problems.

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 02:27 AM   #5
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
Sure sounds like it got wet. Let us all know what you find
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 03:34 AM   #6
GregN
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6790
I think I may have found where the problem could be. There are two junction boxes under the slide with the stove and refer. They are metal and have the cap with the rubber gasket, maybe time to replace the gasket. Did not dawn on me until this morning that I remembered seeing them there at one time. Just waiting for it to get a little lighter outside to get surgical on them.

Thanks for the info gentlemen, I knew you would all come through with some thoughts, Thanks.
Old 08-08-2013, 03:48 AM   #7
nowinter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9521
I know I am not following the topic exactly, but here is what I did for our kitchen. I kept tripping the circuit in the kitchen with our coffee maker. I saw a post from Ozz about adding another duplex receptacle in the kitchen, from the microwave receptacle. I followed Ozz's directions and installed the receptacle on the right side wall of the microwave. Worked great, just be carefull that the coffee maker is not operating when you use the microwave.
nowinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:51 AM   #8
GregN
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6790
Well all the junction boxes under the rv are dry, Check all the connections, tight. Hook everything back up one at a time, working ok. Then pop it goes. I am thinking maybe surge guard outside, no plugged in by it self did not pop. I plugged into 30 amp, no problems. I think it maybe the 50amp male plug, casing has come away from the plug and the wires feel a little loose. Have to go get a new plug for that. Waiting for maintenance to check the pedestal on the 50 amp side, to see if it is ok.