Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-28-2013, 08:01 AM   #1
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Power Awning

I am thinking about ordering a new unit I know the advantages of A power awning. My question is for those out their who have had one for a while how is the reliability have you had problems?

kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:12 AM   #2
Rainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13378
Send a message via MSN to Rainer
I can't speak for others, but in my case I really love having a power awning because it isn't such a pain in the butt to extend and retract it, so that I can do it whenever I want, and as frequently as I want. Wind starts coming up, retract. Rain clouds, retract. Getting ready to leave the trailer for sightseeing, retract. Going to bed, retract.

I only wish I had one that will automatically retract with rain or winds. But what the hey....
Rainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:13 AM   #3
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
We've had ours going on 6 years and have never had a problem. Other than having to replace the batteries in the remote control... Can you believe the batteries wouldn't last 6 years?! Really, we have never had a problem with ours. Works great. And I love that if we are away from the rig and the wind picks up the awning automatically rolls up instead of getting destroyed. It's one of the upgrades we'll always have on our RVs from here on out! Bernie's parents have had theirs on their current bus for close to 12 years and to my knowledge they haven't had any issues either.
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:29 AM   #4
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Tammy,

Will you share your upgrade? Assuming you have an anemometer. Where did you mount it and what did you use to power the motor and have it shut off?
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:36 AM   #5
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I acquired a power awning when I got my 2011 because on the bigger RVs it's near impossible to get otherwise in today's market. I cussed and discussed it at first ... it's slowly growing on me as it is nice to not have to unlock the legs and pull the lever on the roll tube itself to get it retracted say late at night during a rainstorm. However ... I do miss the ability to stake the legs to the ground if I want to. I do miss the ability to lower the awning to within say 4' of the ground in the evenings to get the sun out of my eyes. Yeah I know ... buy a sunshade, but hey maybe I'm not in the market to own one. I do miss the ability to similarily lower the awning if say the ground in front of your unit slopes off quickly as many sites do at the lakes. I'm short (5'7") so it's all I can do to reach the lock knobs on the arms if I want to slope the awning unless I get out the step stool. Soooooooooo there's my take.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:42 AM   #6
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Mike, it was something we had them install at the time we bought the RV. There is an anemometer in it, but it isn't something we can monitor the wind speed from separately. If that makes any sense. Bernie is just walking out the door after lunch heading back to work. He said he'd post the information on our awning tonight when he gets home. Stay tuned!!
Old 05-28-2013, 02:53 PM   #7
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
We love our power awning! No more going out in the rain at night to close it, excellent!
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:58 PM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Anything on a camper that will operate at the push of a button is a very good thing.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 04:44 PM   #9
chieflawdawg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6935
We have one on our new Monte and even though we have only been on one trip with it, I love it. I haven't figured out how to lower one side yet, but we had some pretty strong rain in Charleston last week and didn't have any problems. It seems to have a pretty good angle from top to bottom for run off.
chieflawdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:00 AM   #10
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Steve ... you'll notice 2 little black knobs on the bottom of the arms with the gas struts. Pull down on the arm ... it will colapse the slotted part inward and the knobs lock it in place for sloping your awning. Don't forget to loosen the knobs before you retract the awning later on.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:01 AM   #11
chieflawdawg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6935
Thanks..played with them a little bit on our trip, but couldn't get much movement out of them.
chieflawdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:14 AM   #12
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Steve,
When you loosen the knob, grab the heavy awning arm that attaches to the motor end, and pull it back towards the rig, it does take a little force, but you will see the drop on that side when you pull it back. Maintain the pressure on the arm and tighten the knob. As mentioned, be sure to loosen completely before retracting the awning!!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 04:22 PM   #13
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Like Tammy said, we had ours installed by the dealer. We have the weather pro by dometic. it is fully automatic up and down. It can be stopped at any level / angle / length at any time. (that sounded odd - if we are to near a tree and only have 3 feet, we can stop the awning before hitting the tree and the awning doesn't mind!) For us, the best feature is that it automatically rolls up and stores when the temperature drops below 32 degrees to prevent the possible formation of ice / snow accumulation, etc. As Tammy mentioned, when the wind picks up, to a relatively steady speed, it rolls up. I forget the actual wind speed required. However, for wind gusts, this does not necessarily cause a roll up. However, we have had large multiple gusts and the awning just flexes, takes the punches and resumes it initial position. It is powered via 12V. The auto wind / temperature can be disabled should you wish. the anemometer on our rig was installed on the roof just above awning. Also, should rain accumulation develop on the awning, it will flex and dump the water off the awning away from the door. It is just like magic!!
Old 02-14-2020, 05:32 PM   #14
Rchiasson

M.O.C. #21488
Both awnings will not retract on a 2016 Montana. What could be the problem? Checked fuses, relays battery and all are fine.
Rchiasson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 03:33 PM   #15
happygimp
Established Member

M.O.C. #18438
power awning

Love the power awning. The only problem I have ever had was when the switch inside failed with the awning extended.
happygimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 03:41 PM   #16
Rchiasson

M.O.C. #21488
Wish it was that way on my Montana. Thanks
Old 02-18-2020, 05:09 PM   #17
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Had power anwnings for the last 9 years of full timing had to have the awning material replaced after 7 years on our old rig, but never a problem with the mechanism.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 05:57 PM   #18
Rchiasson

M.O.C. #21488
First problem that I have had with this rig. Thanks for reply
Old 02-18-2020, 11:00 PM   #19
Leftie Canuk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23585
We purchased a 2011 3150RL that was used each summer and one snowbird trip in the first 7 years. In looking though the repair invoices that came with it, there was nothing about the power awning. We love ours, and hope it lasts forever. If it fails, we would replace it. Sure beats a manual awning, complexities considered.
Leftie Canuk is offline   Reply With Quote