Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-19-2004, 01:24 AM   #1
Montana_152
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #152
Yikes a snake

Any of you guys have any idea how to get rid of a snake? Little fellow, non poisoness. Saw his crawl in front of the refrigerator, then dissappear und the steps to the living room. I hav'nt told my wife, if she should see it should I tell her it is for mouse control?

Montana_152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 01:58 AM   #2
Montana_70
Montana Master

M.O.C. #70
Jim,

I can't seem to picture, "under the steps to the living room". Unless you are talking about the outside steps and I don't think you are.

To "get rid of it" you are going to have to catch it. You need a pole with a hook on it. Then maybe you could hook or push it out the door.

How long is it? Is it a black snake?
Montana_70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 02:50 AM   #3
Montana_31
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #31
She will find out as soon as it sheds its skin over the table light.
Montana_31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 05:00 AM   #4
Montana_152
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #152
Fla Native
Was about 2 foot long black snake. The 3685 is a fl. About a 0.5inch opening in the
steps going up to it. Will be using it for an extra bedroom for the next 2 months, so
my grandsons may be able to capture it to scare their sisters.
Old 06-19-2004, 12:37 PM   #5
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Never had any luck at it myself, but you are supposed to be able to catch (and release) snakes using the kind of sticky boards that are sold for catching rats. A good hardware store should carry them.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 01:09 AM   #6
Montana_152
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #152
Anything is worth a try. Will do it today. Thanks
Old 06-20-2004, 07:57 AM   #7
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
Maybe moth balls where you saw him (her). If you don't get too carried away they will repel bugs and mice also. Get too carried away and they might repel your wife (or at least make her suspicious) !
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 06:00 PM   #8
Kimmrg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1217
Does this happen often? No snakes in Alaska and I like it that way!
Kimmrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 02:01 AM   #9
spinky
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1106
Hi,
Just the thought of a snake getting in my trailer scares me to death. I guess I just never thought of it happening.
Sherri
spinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 04:19 AM   #10
Montana_621
Montana Master

M.O.C. #621
Oh my goodness! Just wait until your wife finds out and I surely hope for your sake she doesn't find the snake in your bed or slithering around when you aren't there, she might die of a heart attack, I know I would! One nice thing about living in MN, we don't really have to worry about snakes.
Montana_621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 04:54 AM   #11
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
A poor little little snake wandered into our home one day while I was at work. My wife and daughter, being the quick thinkers they are, grabbed a pot and spoon for one and a brass horn (old timey, curled brass with a rubber thingy to squeeze and make it go ahh-ooh-gahh)for the other. One got on each side of him and a little behind him and started making noise. Eventually they drove the poor thing out the door. He'll never be the same and I'm sure is either deaf now or still hearing the noise (if they can even hear ??)He must have spread the word to the rest of the snake population, though, because we've never had another one in the house !!
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 05:18 AM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Sherri, I'm with you on that one! Snakes and me do not co-exist well. I would be outside watching for when he leaves. Then I'd seal up his entry method. I would want to physically see him leave so there's no doubt in my mind he's gone. Snakes have their place, it's just not the same place I'm in.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 06:25 AM   #13
Montana_621
Montana Master

M.O.C. #621
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by VanMan

A poor little little snake wandered into our home one day while I was at work. My wife and daughter, being the quick thinkers they are, grabbed a pot and spoon for one and a brass horn (old timey, curled brass with a rubber thingy to squeeze and make it go ahh-ooh-gahh)for the other. One got on each side of him and a little behind him and started making noise. Eventually they drove the poor thing out the door. He'll never be the same and I'm sure is either deaf now or still hearing the noise (if they can even hear ??)He must have spread the word to the rest of the snake population, though, because we've never had another one in the house !!
LOL, that's great and what quick thinking. kudos to your wife and daughter.
Old 06-21-2004, 06:28 AM   #14
Joyce H
Montana Master

M.O.C. #266
VanMan...What a picture you painted...Can just see it now. Don't know which is in worse shape the snake or your wife and daughter finding him in the house. Have never found one in the house, but have seen a few at our vacation home in the woods on the side of a mountain in WV. If they are black snakes I usually allow them to slither away as they are great for rodent control. Now if I am not sure whether it is a friend or foe, I just tend to grab the closest tool and try to send them onto "snake heaven". Thanks for sharing.
Joyce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 09:42 PM   #15
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Send a message via AIM to RC and Samantha Send a message via Yahoo to RC and Samantha
Oh my Gosh, I think I'd die. I'm not really afraid of snakes although them sneaking up on me would definitely make my heart beat furiously. In the camper or house would give me a heart attack I'm afraid. Did you catch him? By the way 2 feet long in my book is not a little snake! The hairs on the back of my neck are standing up on end just thinking about it.
RC and Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 02:43 AM   #16
Montana_152
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #152
Well I have searched every where and have seen no sign the reptile. Hopefully
it has slithered off looking for a better diet than I have to offer. I did tell
my wife. Of course she took it well, since I told her while we were in Church and
she could'nt scream.
Old 07-01-2004, 04:29 AM   #17
Montana_462
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #462
I was just on the rv net site and someone had taken a picture of a good size copperhead slithering out of their neighbors RV window. I don't dare tell me wife of these snake tales. I have already made her parnoid telling her about the creatures coming in via the slideouts.
Montana_462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 06:28 AM   #18
Montana_621
Montana Master

M.O.C. #621
LOL! That's so evil of you!

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rxsolutions

Well I have searched every where and have seen no sign the reptile. Hopefully
it has slithered off looking for a better diet than I have to offer. I did tell
my wife. Of course she took it well, since I told her while we were in Church and
she could'nt scream.
Old 07-01-2004, 09:37 AM   #19
spinky
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1106
Hi,
So that is how they can get in is through the slides? I really didn't know that and it really does scare me alot. I would have a heart attack if I ever saw one in my fifth wheel.
Sherri
spinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 10:08 PM   #20
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Send a message via AIM to RC and Samantha Send a message via Yahoo to RC and Samantha
I have a hole near one of my slide outs that the dealer said they fixed but while we were making some improvements this evening I saw it's still there. I can tell you I'm getting out my caulking gun tomorrow and welding that hole shut.

Then the copper head leaving out of someone's window? I'll be on my hands, knees, back and crawling on my belly making sure I can close up any possible place they might come in. I have a terrible habit of not latching the basement doors while we are set up in camp.

OK, I have had enough of the hairs on the back of my neck standing up on end. Time to jump to another tread.

Patty
RC and Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote