Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-17-2004, 05:10 PM   #1
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Air conditioner

Who out there can give me an answer to this or can direct me in the right direction about an air conditioner problem I am having.
We were in a area that required air for the trailer we left it on auto and at 75 degrese when we came back in about 4 hours the fan unit inside was making a very strainge sound like the blades were hardly moving almost no air was comming out of the discharge openings, I turned the unit off and let it sit for a while and noticed alot of water dripping down the gutter downspouts, I turned on the unit again and the fan moter sounded normal again, a camper at the RV Park said I was iced up, Is that possable with a setting at 75 deg? he also said it was due to not enugh air across the coil or condenser , I cant remember which. regardless how can I fix the problem or should I take it to the dealer or the manufacture of the air conditioner.
Thanks

TT 2

Don & Georgia
FORD F-350 Turbo Diesel
Banks Sys,Prodigy,
Pullin 2004 / 2980-RL

Thanks Doug for the Info, I have sent you my e-mail address and if I find out what the problem is I will deffinatly share with all.

TT 2

WELL EVERYBODY HERE ARE THE RESULTS ON THE REPAIRS TO THE AIRCONDITIONER.
COOLING FINS BENT MOUNTING LOOSE COOLING CONTROL FELL OUT STRAIGHT COOLING FINS TIGHTEN MOUNTING BOLTS REWIRECOOLING CONTROL,THAT WAS A LOT OF STUFF WRONG FOR A NEW UNIT, mONTANSA NEED TO GET A NEW SUPER IN THE QUALITY CONTROL DEPARTMENT. i TESTED IT AND THE HUMIDITY IS UP HIGH TODAY SO IF IT IS GOING TO FROST UP TODAY IS THE DAY. nO PROBLEMO. READY TO ROCK AND ROLL.

TT 2

Edited by - Trailer Trash 2 on 06/05/2004 12:40:49 AM

Old 06-15-2004, 04:13 PM   #2
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
The icing on low fan speed problem with DuoTherm AC units is far too prevalent for me to think it's just coincidence. Anyone have any idea why it would ice up at low fan speed but not on high fan? The only times we've had icing it's always been on low fan. Since we started using exclusively high fan it's not iced even once. For the past week we've had daily highs in the nineties with humidity as high as 90% and no icing. Just wondering why fan speed makes a difference. Over the years I've heard a number of people say the same thing about duotherms and low fan speed.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 03:42 AM   #3
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
On low speed the air goes by slower and has more time for the humidity to collect on the condenser. When the fan is on high the air is going by quicker and does not get the humidity drawn out as much.

In stick home systems the a/c is sized so it runs for a good amount of time. A larger cooling unit would cool the house faster but would cycle often, a too small one would not be able to cool the house. The correct sized one runs just right. The longer the a/c unit runs the more humidity it is able to pull out of the air, hence it "feels" cooler since the air is dryer.

The reason we go for larger btu cooling units in rv's is the heat gain. They aren't insulated nearly as good as a house and opening the entry door has a greater influence in the camper than it does in the house.

Hope this helps more than confuses.

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 04:55 PM   #4
Montana_502
Established Member

M.O.C. #502
Just returned from a 5000mile+ trip and had the smae problem with my ac frezing up. Am going to have the dealer check it next week, but my quick fix on the road was to block off one vent in the bedroom and position the back vents so the thermostat got pleanty of air. The thermostat is located in the rear and in the afternoon heat it could not cycle.I also got some shades for the rear windows that stop the sun rays and mount on the outside.so far so good.
henry
Montana_502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 07:12 PM   #5
Montana_1520
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1520
We took DHenry's advice and requested a copy of the Bulletin from Dometic/DuoTherm. They are really quick to respond as well. We got on the website, requested the bulleting and was in the mail in less than a week. The bulletin covers a lot of the possible problems and gives solutions or how to check the problems. The male fan is not even going to share it with the dealer's service dept until he has a chance to check out a few things for himself.
And since our first posting we did take the Big Sky in for checkup and A/C fix. The service dept. could not find anything wrong! Go figure! Then on the next trip out we did what others suggested--left in on high fan all the time. It worked fine until it reached the designated temp. It kicked off as it was supposed to do then tried to restart after a few minutes (when the temp rose) and did this twice. Then it blew the fuse/tripped the breaker and had to be reset. What's wrong with these things? Anyway, we will try the checks in the bulletin and THEN take it back to the dealer/service dept.but with not much faith.
#29 fans
04 3670RL Big Sky
04 Chevy 3500 CC Dually 4WD Duramax/Allison
Montana_1520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 09:45 AM   #6
chopstyx57
Established Member

M.O.C. #736
tt,
we just got back from 3 weeks in Phoenix AZ...we have a new 3400rl and had an additional 15000btu a/c put in the bedroom. this was a must in 110 degrees. But I did have the same problem of freezing up. I found that if I used the Quick cool, buy opening the vent on the unit itself and not running through the ducting we never had a freeze up. If I ran through the ducts it would freeze. At 108 degrees we kept the Montana at a cool 68 degrees running both a/c units.
chopstyx57 is offline   Reply With Quote