Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-13-2009, 01:55 AM   #21
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Steve, THANKS!!!! for posting the pictures. Like many things, it seems like they could have made this a little easier, but they probably figure most people won't have to replace it. My luck is such that if it can go wrong, it will. Please let us know how it turns out.

Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 03:52 AM   #22
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
I did think of replacing the check valve with a piece of pipe. I doubt if I would have a siphon problem either.
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 07:32 AM   #23
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Steve..I am a bit slow this week.. The rush of preparing for the Floria trip I guess. it just struck me.. Looking at that picture of the valve they gave you.. That is the " Galley tank" check valve, It is located behind the access panel that is on the side panel behind the counter at about your right hand level. That is the problem we had and the smell was....well..smelly. You can actually see the valve when you remove the panel.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 10:33 AM   #24
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Rich, thanks. I will hold on to this black valve and replace it if we still have the smelly problem.

Illapah, here's the info from the top of the old valve:
Lakeview RV Supply
110 (degree mark) F 125 PSI
Model 1000
1/2"

And, now, for the rest of the story.....

1. First, note that there are connections here that have the potential to leak. This is another place to check for those having water coming out under the pantry on a 3400RL and some other models.

The connections were tight. I had to further enlarge the opening to get two hands in there and also a pair of pliers. Note that I tied the pliers loosely to the upright between cabinet door openings so if I managed to drop them in that hole I could retrieve them. I'm not sure if the bottom of this area is accessible from behind the water connection center. The pipes came through a hole in a floor so I don't think it is.

2. The old valve

3. Top of the old valve with ordering information

4. I visited the nearest RV dealer. He didn't have this one but had its equivalent in a different brand, color, and shape. But it should work fine. Except it's priced at $30.52 plus tax. I went to Lowe's and got a m-f elbow and nipple for under a buck. Apparently nobody makes a m-m elbow in 1/2" size. The only nipple I could find is a "multi" that's intended to be cut off at whatever length you want.

5. Cutting the nipple off at the first joint made the assembled elbow/nipple a close fit. Close, but not exact. And that affects the alignment with the existing pipe connections.

6. It took two hands and some muscle to align for proper thread fit but with Vicki holding a flashlight we got it. Here it is after installation. Note the ragged edges on the opening. I broke my only hacksaw blade so finished resizing the opening with a pair of pliers. Don't laugh. It worked. Don't forget to test the flush to make sure there are no leaks before putting the cover back on.

7. I was careful not to resize the hole to larger than the cover plate. Didn't want to have to find and buy a larger one. Still, the hole was too large to re-use the double sided tape. It's only workable location is inside the hole. So, I just took my electric screwdriver and put screws through those nearly cut through dimples in the corners. Three bit nicely. The fourth hit the hole but it's still tight enough to keep cold air from coming in through that hole.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 10:49 AM   #25
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

Steve..I am a bit slow this week.. The rush of preparing for the Floria trip I guess. it just struck me.. Looking at that picture of the valve they gave you.. That is the " Galley tank" check valve, It is located behind the access panel that is on the side panel behind the counter at about your right hand level. That is the problem we had and the smell was....well..smelly. You can actually see the valve when you remove the panel.
Thanks, Rich. Now that I know what that black valve is for I went ahead and changed it, too. That was an easy one. It took almost as long to remove the four screws from the access panel as it did to replace the valve. Thanks for the tip.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 02:55 AM   #26
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Steve, glad you got it fixed, and thanks much for the narrative and pictures!!! This means so much to us 'do it yourselvers".
Old 10-14-2009, 07:45 AM   #27
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Steve the pictures were great and very informative for owners of your Monty.
Not to critisise your excavation of the wall, but if you want to clean up the edges a bit, a Roto Zip is the tool of choise for small openings such as the one you had, INFO... Roto Zip on line sells remanufactured ones for a song almost with the original warintee. I got two of them for less than 70.00 with saw blades and cutters. its like a trim router but much ceaper.
Old 10-15-2009, 07:30 AM   #28
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
I just called mfg for the check valve. it is $25 (check only) including shipping.
He wants email sent to him and he will send email back where to send check.

his email is tabbdye@yahoo.com
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 11:17 AM   #29
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

Try that again, Rich? I may need one... Are you talking about the hot water heater access panel? Or the one in the pantry. I don't recall seeing mine...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 12:52 PM   #30
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Dave...Stand behind the counter in front of the sink.. Look slightly down and to your right.. Acccess panel...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 05:35 PM   #31
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
OK - where is that valve from the access? Can I see it from there? I will look when I get back from SK...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:16 AM   #32
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by illapah

I just called mfg for the check valve. it is $25 (check only) including shipping.

I have been trying to find a place to get a replacement for this check valve...a bit reluctant to do business with someone who does business through email...has anyone had any luck with this person???
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:59 PM   #33
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
We went to a local RV parts dealer and bought one for less than $30.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:08 PM   #34
ljensen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8384
Steve on my 07-3400 it is behind the pantry. when you take the peek cover off my set above and to the left. I took a bright light and shined it by the pocket door and could see it.
ljensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:44 AM   #35
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ljensen

Steve on my 07-3400 it is behind the pantry. when you take the peek cover off my set above and to the left. I took a bright light and shined it by the pocket door and could see it.
Steve's post was from 2009.
Old 12-06-2012, 03:25 AM   #36
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by snfexpress

We went to a local RV parts dealer and bought one for less than $30.
Thanks...will try Lazy Days one I have the part removed...it makes things so much easier when you can show the parts person what you want!
Old 12-06-2012, 04:27 AM   #37
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CamillaMichael

Quote:

I have been trying to find a place to get a replacement for this check valve...a bit reluctant to do business with someone who does business through email...has anyone had any luck with this person???

I replaced mine and bought it throug Tab. No problem buying with his email. You can go to website and call his too.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:54 AM   #38
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by steves

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CamillaMichael

Quote:

I replaced mine and bought it throug Tab. No problem buying with his email. You can go to website and call his too.
OK, after spending over two (three?) hours on the web looking for a supplier, finally broke down and sent an email to tabbdye...will see how that works out! If it does not work out, seems like there are a lot of cheap alternatives to adding some kind of back-flow device to the input water line to the black tank????
By the way, Lakeview RV Supply does have a home page on the web: lakeviewrvsupply.com
Old 12-18-2012, 11:40 AM   #39
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Well, I sent an email to tabbdye and did get a response 11 days ago...told me he (?) had the vacuum breaker for sale and he would have one in the mail within 24 hours of receiving my mailing address...still waiting. In fact, sent an email a couple of days ago asking if there was some kind of delay?????? No reply. Maybe I will hear from him some day. Anyway, given that we may have some temps approaching freezing in the near future, I wanted to get our Montana ready for the colder temps, which obviously includes draining the tanks. While I had the Montana out of storage, I did cut an opening in the back of the pantry to reveal the infamous vacuum breaker...and as an added bonus, the back of the shower plumbing in case something should ever go bad there. I did remove the vacuum breaker and gave it a good visual inspection...looked like it should work!! But it doesn't seem to want to let water pass through. I do believe that the vacuum breaker can be modified to continue to work...of course the fix I am thinking of would mean that the valve would no longer function as a vacuum breaker...it would just be a big piece of plastic between the water intake and the black tank...would have to add a back flow restricter between the water intake in the utility center and the fresh water supply, but that is something even I can do! But that is a task for another day...if I should get a surprise package from tabbdye, I will let you know if the new valve works. If it doesn't, it's back to the drawing board.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:18 AM   #40
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Another unanswered email to tabbdye@yahoo.com yesteday...just do not know what to make of it???? You would think someone in business would take care of business, but maybe that's just old fashioned thinking. I keep hoping that I will get something in the mail and find that tabbdye is doing so well in business that there was no time to answer email?????