Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-19-2016, 04:14 AM   #1
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Ninja Coffee Bar wattage...

I put this topic here because I'm trying to get "Technical Help".

DW and I are getting pretty good at power management when connected to 15, 30 or 50 amp shore power. We rarely blow a circuit since we are aware of what happens when you power too many things on. We are also aware of the difference between a device that's just plugged in and when it's actually being used.

Most devices we have only states its power rating (when it's running at its most powerful). For example, the Ninja Coffee Bar we have states it uses 1400 watts. But, unlike the electric heater we have, the heater has a 1400 watt and a 750 watt setting, so we use the 750 setting, and we can use our TV/Entertainment center without fear of blowing a circuit (and we wear sweaters, too).

Here's the question... I've searched the Internet and cannot find the rating for the Ninja Coffee Bar when it is NOT brewing (1400 watt on the spec sheet). I am pretty sure 1400 watts is not being used when only the warming plate is on, but how much wattage? We currently brew only enough coffee for both of us, then turn it off, then run around turning everything back on when we are only connected to 15 amp shore power. A real hassle since we'd like to brew more and keep it warm and still be able to watch TV.

Edit: Called the Ninja Bar people and after a long hold after asking my question, the person came back on and said he couldn't find anything but the well documented 1400 watt max usage. I'll have to buy a meter and figure it out empirically.

Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 08:13 AM   #2
Starmaster
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #16103
Art,

Purchase a Kill-A-Watt meter from P3 on Amazon. Here's a link: https://www.amazon.com/P3-P4400-Elec...ds=kill-a-watt

You plug it into the wall and then plug your 110vac device into the meter. It measures, volts, amps, watts, and power line frequency. A very handy device to have for nerds like me! I'm always wanting to know how much power something new is using, plus it helps the DW understand how much power something uses so she can "get by" on "only" a 30amp service!

Dave
Starmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 04:13 PM   #3
Kimo
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13238
According to Energy Star, most domestic coffee makers (hot plates) use between 750 and 1200 watts to keep the coffee at the right temp. Don't know if that helps but at least it's a range.
Kimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 06:52 PM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
I will get that kill-a-watt device to check usage. Yup, Kimo, I've read other coffee makers specs and will have similar specs but they always seem like worse case usage. I just want to know the warming plate usage and that meter just might be the trick and being only around $20, I could use that meter for lots of my 110v pluggables. Thanks, again.
Old 11-21-2016, 05:10 PM   #5
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
Not that it helps you, but for those who may need a coffee maker soon, we got the Ninja Coffee bar, but we spent a coupe of extra dollars and got the one with the stainless steel thermal carafe. It has no hot plate to continue to draw power. The coffee stays hot for several hours in the thermal carafe. Its a better alternative when counting watts and amps!
washley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 05:21 PM   #6
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Good idea, but too late for us since we already purchased our unit. I could actually buy a thermos-like container and that would be a similar idea. Just pour any leftover coffee into it to keep it warmer than not, without any electricity usage.
Old 11-22-2016, 05:48 PM   #7
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
Full disclosure on our coffee system. We bought the Ninja for the S&B...We have worked around our coffee maker in the trailer. We use a GE perculator that we got as a wedding gift in 1973! Still makes the best coffee ever! Have no idea what the watts or amps is!
washley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 03:15 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have had the kill A Watt meter since 2006. Great device to determine power usage.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote