Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-29-2015, 05:30 PM   #1
Larry-P
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11570
BLACK TANK VALVE PROBLEM

Since we've had this Monty the dump valves on the black tank & one gray tank have been hard to open & close. But now they are really getting difficult to open/close.

I use Calgon liquid in the black tank but does not seem to be helping much. I do not look forward to changing the valve(s). Any help on correcting this problem is appreciated.

Larry-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 07:09 PM   #2
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
I have been using Calgon liquid in addition to Power Blue treatment. When the black tank valve started getting tight, I began using 4 oz of Thetford valve lube each time I drained the tank, along with the other things above. It seems to help. I also see that Odorlos tank treatment says on it's package that it lubricates the valves also. I have yet to try that, but it might work.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 04:52 AM   #3
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
Lubing the cables with spray silicone works wonders. Remove t handle. Take wall off side of convenience center, remove nut holding cable in place, pull out cable and elevate, spray lots of lube in it. I also put a tube over the end of the cable so I can fill the tube and see it drain down inside the cable. Put back together and pull cable a few times to loosen any crap in the cable. John
Old 10-31-2015, 03:48 AM   #4
poloace
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13649
Replacing my 3rd black tank valve and cable as we speak. My extended warranty is covering it. I put valve lube in the tank, calgon, seems to work for a while. Very frustrating when on a trip, and going to dump, and wondering if the valve will open or not. Happened to us this summer.
poloace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 02:27 PM   #5
BBates

M.O.C. #19682
Both grey and black were frozen on my 12 Montana when I bought it, vegetable oil and hot water 2 gals black tank and 1 gal in grey. Hottest water I could get, let it sit for 5 mins, once they moved I kept opening and closing and they both really freed up. The black also quit leaking, which was why I looked at them before my first trip.
BBates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 03:28 PM   #6
Grzly03
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19585
Send a message via AIM to Grzly03 Send a message via MSN to Grzly03
Black Tank Valve

Larry,

I had a similar problem, and my dealer service department took the whole system apart and found ABS shavings in the seal. Just an idea, it might be causing a difficult opening and closing of the valve.
Grzly03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 06:47 PM   #7
Bad Moon
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18546
Get a twist-on valve from Camper World or Amazon, about $20. And a clear elbow for about the same. Elbow allows you to be sure tanks are completely drained. After you dump the black tank, close the twist-on valve, but keep the black valve open. Then open the kitchen grey-water valve for about 15 seconds and close it. This allows kitchen waste water (mostly clean with lots of detergent) to flow into the black tank. Now open the twist-on valve. You will see grey water first, then lots of brown water. Repeat this process several times. Then do the same thing using the bathroom sink/shower grey water tank. Finish up with the tank flush. Save enough bathroom grey water to flush out the sewer hose. And be sure all the valves are closed before you leave! This is the best way I have found to clear the maximum amount of gunk out of the black tank. I complete the process with chlorox-calgon-laundry detergent (about 1/2 cup to 1 full cup each) with a couple gallons of fresh water. This mix will slosh around when you drive and help wash-down the walls of the tank.

The side benefit of the twist-on valve is no more "leakage" on my hands and feet when I hook up the sewer hose. Belt and suspenders!
Old 04-13-2017, 09:12 AM   #8
Twopetes
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17535
Hey Bad Moon

We think alike - putting the add-on valve at the drain pipe provides a safety "valve"(pun intended), and keeps your feet dry! I put it on last summer and it saved us this spring when our black tank valve was jammed (frozen) and the cable came lose. I was able to use the extra valve and make the trip.

I also do the same gray tank back-flush for the black tank every time we dump. Works great. And the clear elbow is a very smart add-on. Might be a little gross looking, but it really helps you know the tank is fully flushed.

Link for waste valve on Amazon - $23.

https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-T58-...ra+waste+valve
Retired and Lovin’ it!
Twopetes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 11:35 AM   #9
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
I had so much trouble with the gray and black tank cable releases on our 2015 Montana our dealer converted the system from cables to direct solid rods, very similar to the galley tank release on our 3440RL. No more problems.
RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 03:42 PM   #10
Bad Moon
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18546
Twopetes:
It's a dirty job, but someone has to do it!
Old 04-14-2017, 02:06 PM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
As our Black, gray and galley tanks failed we had the cable system replaced with quality systems and they are very smooth.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 10:49 AM   #12
Former StClairSailor
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17151
Quote:
Originally Posted by richfaa View Post
As our Black, gray and galley tanks failed we had the cable system replaced with quality systems and they are very smooth.
Rich, Which quality systems did your dealer use and was it covered by the extended warranty. We are now having issues with the black tank valve leaking. I installed the twist on valve and clear plastic elbow early last year. Have lubricated the cables, but that does nothing for whatever is hanging up the black tank valves.

John & Laura___& Bentley
2017 Montana 3950BR
2015 GMC Sierra Denali Dually
Former StClairSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 11:51 AM   #13
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
If you are having problems with the black tank valves not closing all the way, the culprit may be material(s) caught in the valve gasket. It happened to me and the item that was obstructing the gasket was a toss in tank deodorizer. After I had the valve replaced, I have never used toss in packets again.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 12:18 PM   #14
Loneoak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19514
Black tank valve problems seem to be common with other brands as well. We had ongoing problems in that area with our former trailer and when I learned on the other forum about the Valterra twist on valve, I figured this was the solution to our problems. It was.

We have not yet used our new Monty, but I already ordered a Valterra valve. It's great insurance against accidents of a stinky nature.

2017 High Country 305RL
2015 Ford F-250 Super Duty
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 12:34 PM   #15
Former StClairSailor
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loneoak View Post
Black tank valve problems seem to be common with other brands as well. We had ongoing problems in that area with our former trailer and when I learned on the other forum about the Valterra twist on valve, I figured this was the solution to our problems. It was.

We have not yet used our new Monty, but I already ordered a Valterra valve. It's great insurance against accidents of a stinky nature.
The twist on valve is a good addition but is only masking the symptom, not solving the issue. It allows us to connect the waste hose without spilling waste on the ground or all over ourselves. Water is like electricity, it takes the path of least resistance. When the black tank valve leaks the nasty liquid fills up the drain pipes right up to the grey tank valves or until it achieves the level of the black tank. This keeps the level of the black tank down and allows the waste material to build up against the valve opening, thus damming up the works. Then when you dump the black tank, an initial flow from the waste liquid flows out but then little else. BTW congratulations on your new Monty. Hope you have many happy camping memories.

John & Laura___& Bentley
2017 Montana 3950BR
2015 GMC Sierra Denali Dually
Former StClairSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 12:34 PM   #16
cw3jason
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17256
Had mine replaced with Valterra valves under warranty, moves super easy now and no leakage.
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 01:34 PM   #17
Penn Men
Established Member

M.O.C. #24253
Thanks for all the helpful and supportive posts! We bought our 2019 Montana last month, went on our first trip last weekend. Spent a great 5 days at the campground, pulled up to the RV dump station, attached the hose to the kitchen gray water, pulled, handle came off in my hand!!! I was able to pull the rod and get the tank to empty.

Next attached the hose to the black water and I could not get the valve to open, moved to the bath gray water...SAME THING!!! At this point we were afraid to manhandle them and break the handles so we gave up and drove home with tanks 2/3 full.

We bought from Camping World so this weekend I plan to go camping near my Camping World, I’ll try again at their dump station. If I have trouble I will head into the store and talk to someone. I am assuming this is all under warranty since we haven’t had our Montana for a month yet.
Penn Men is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 05:33 PM   #18
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcurtis934 View Post
Lubing the cables with spray silicone works wonders. Remove t handle. Take wall off side of convenience center, remove nut holding cable in place, pull out cable and elevate, spray lots of lube in it. I also put a tube over the end of the cable so I can fill the tube and see it drain down inside the cable. Put back together and pull cable a few times to loosen any crap in the cable. John

100% agree with lube concept - my choice is bicycle chain lube - has more staying power than the silicone spays I've used b4.
Ram Montana High Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 06:22 PM   #19
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
#1- NEVER BUY A CAMPER FROM ANY CAMPING WORLD.....
#2- Where ever else you but one, make sure EVERYTHING is addressed during the PDI. I don't care if I have to spend the entire day there. I want to see everything work.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 08:19 PM   #20
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Had my first near disaster with black tank. Apparently a slow leak. It filled the drain line. After reading these very entertaining and educational posts I'm VERY careful about removing the cap. I had the drain hose under the cap and slowly eased the bottom edge open. Fluid ran out into the drain hose. I just had to wait until it stopped. Then removed the cover and attached the hose. I WILL be getting the valterra twist on valve.
BTW,why don't they make a clear cap so you can see the problem and avoid a spill???
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote