Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-07-2005, 12:04 PM   #21
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
11/7, 2.599 for diesel in Independence, MO. Unleaded gasoline, cheapest is Walmart at 1.939. Isn't it a bit outrageous that we now consider these great prices.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 02:26 PM   #22
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Steve-
Good to see your comments lighting up the forum again.....glad to see that you and Vicki arrived in Independence safely. When you start for Texas make sure you latch onto a tank of diesel before you cross the Oklahoma line into Texas, diesel here about .20/gal higher, this is what we found a couple weeks back when in Oklahoma.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 04:50 PM   #23
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
I think it will be a while before Diesel prices drop below 87 octane gasolene. Two factors are working against us -- First, diesel is just about the same as fuel oil used for heating and power plants as has already been pointed out. The second issue is sulpher content. I'm not precisely sure how it works but have been told the new lower emmission diesel fuel is a good deal more expensive than previous blends.

One other thing to note if trying to save money on fuel. If you find different diesel grades available at truck stops or in farm country, it is usually cheaper but you will have to deal with the big nozzles. Oh, and make sure it is properly taxed for light weight highway use.
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 06:31 AM   #24
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks, Charlie. I'll take note of that. We found the same situation recently through the Texas panhandle into Oklahoma. We also knew from the flying j website that Kansas is higher than both of them so stopped short of the Kansas border and filled up. Unfortunately we needed to fill up again in Kansas.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 01:43 PM   #25
Jim
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #865
Our local price is $3.74 US per US gallon. In our language it is $1.16 Cdn per litre. There are 3.8 litres/per US gallon and the C$ dollar is worth about .85 U$. Hows that for research? We are heading south tomorrow morning and we have just enough diesel to get us to the nearest town, Oroville, WA., and we will fill up and save about 50-60 cents per gallon. We are patriotic Cdns but the oil companies are multi-nationals and they don't care where you live.
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 02:15 PM   #26
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
We are now at 2.75 at the Shells and generics. Over an 80 cent drop in about 6 weeks. It is lower than high octane.
Come on to Hemet.
Happy trails..................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 02:44 PM   #27
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Finally running $2.70 on the eastern side of Washington state. Sure beats the $3.79 I paid back in September. Would like to see it get down under $2.50 a gal sometime in my lifetime. =)
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 03:23 PM   #28
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The difference between K1 kerosene, Diesel fuel and heating oil is the rate at which it is taxed. Diesel fuel is K1 kerosene with red dye added. Heating oil is K1 kerosene taxed at a different rate.. Diesel fuel and K1 kerosene are taxed at different rates... Diesel fuel is high now because there is a larger market for heating oil. We will have to see how all this plays out in the next few months but the low sulpher diesel fuel will be more expensive..how expensive..with diesel at the price it is now..go figure..also the new emmission standards for diesel motors.. I note on the International web site that they are alerting their fleet buyers of big diesel motor increases in 07.. One of the primary reasons we did not get a diesel in our 05 TV was because of these concerns.We figured that when our travel status changed and we would be doing many more miles we might get the diesel in 08 after the smoke cleared..doesn't look good..hope it improves....
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 09:23 PM   #29
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Red dye diesel fuel is "farm diesel" and not to be used on highway rigs. Farm diesel is cheaper because farmers get a tax credit for farming, and those of us who run diesel 2 or 1 are paying tax for roads, and other things depending on the state we live in. Last time I heard anyone caught running farm diesel on the road is ticketed with a $5,000.00 fine, not worth the risk in my opinion.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 11:25 PM   #30
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
2.43 at the Flying J on I-4

2.80's in Clearwater area
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 12:37 AM   #31
Bob Pasternak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #800
Send a message via ICQ to Bob Pasternak
$2.39 for diesel in the Gary, IN area. While it is true you can run a diesel on kerosene, it will be an expensive ride if you don't mix some oil with it. Kerosene or stove oil doesn't have the lubricants added and it will burn up your fuel pumps. Back in the early 60's when I first started drivng diesels, not every place I went had fuel. I'd put a quart of 30 weight oil in 30 gals. of kerosene and as soon as I got to where there was diesel, I'd dilute it further.
Bob Pasternak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 03:07 AM   #32
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
I was in Redding, Ca yesterday and saw it from $2.899 to $3.099 per gallon.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 03:21 AM   #33
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
We had a couple of farmers around here use the OFF ROAD (dyed diesel) in their on highway pickups and the commercial highway patrol officers did a check on them and caught them. Big fine here in CA. I have never had my pickup tank checked but it sure gets me to think twice about using fuel from my dyed diesel tank in my pickup. That and the fact my next door neighbor is a CHP officer.

Gasoline prices in Redding CA were down to $2.49 a gal yesterday but I didn't check the Diesel price.
drhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 03:29 AM   #34
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Rich-
As Montana Sky posted.... dyed diesel is for off road use, whether it be for farming equipment, construction equipment, boats, railroad locomotives or what ever is not used on a highway, these are exempt from imposed highway taxes and are dyed.

The best I remember about K-1 kerosene it is a low sulphur kerosene that is used in lamps and kerosene burning stoves, K-2 kerosene can be used only in a stove that is flued.

Kerosene and diesel are two different hydrocarbons as set forth by properties and distillation. We all know the basic use for diesel. Kerosene's greatest use is in the industry that you came from, jet fuel.

For the industry standards on kerosene and diesel check out these links. The two most notable items are the flash point and end point. Any point in between these can be controlled by the distillation process to meet specs that are required by either the refiner or the distributor of the product, IE the jet fuel requirements for JP-8.

http://www.cenex.com/Downloads/Kerosene.pdf
http://www.piercetransit.org/purchasing/diesel.htm

Emission standards are a great concern in the auto and other industries as the federal government is continually tightening the regulations. Who knows what lies down the road ten years from now or further and what will be available for compliance.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 03:30 AM   #35
Lstierw
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3532
The cheapest we found in Gainesville, TX was 2.55. It was cheaper in Northern Oklahoma (2.23)
Lstierw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 04:06 AM   #36
Bob Pasternak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #800
Send a message via ICQ to Bob Pasternak
In Indiana farmers are allowed to use a certain amount of farm fuel in their cars/trucks. I'm not sure of how much, though.
Bob Pasternak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 04:11 AM   #37
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Should have stopped at the first sentence as I got my dyes mixed up.The dye is added to identify the fuel for tax purposes. Off road diesel #2 and Fuel oil #2 differ only in the tax applied. K1 &K2 Kerosene are lighter than #1 and #2 diesel fuel.Off road diesel has no sulfur restrictions and CAN harm catalytic converters.As with gasoline there are differing additives applied depending on the use. I know little about these issues execpt for what I can google I have a friend retired from Shell who provides the expertise. Anyhow..what effect the 07 standards will have on us is the issue and we will just have to wait and see.My friend from shell says it will not be good news???
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 05:27 AM   #38
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
I've always been curious. Since we use #2 Diesel what is #1?
Happy trails................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 06:23 AM   #39
Lstierw
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3532
From what i understand, the #1 grade is a grade that is more commonly used in colder climate areas. It has a lower viscosity than #2. But with #2 you supposedly get better fuel economy and better engine lubrication. For what it's worth.
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Parrothead

I've always been curious. Since we use #2 Diesel what is #1?
Happy trails................
Lstierw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 08:47 AM   #40
faeb and genb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #57
I am almost sure that #1 is kerosene. We used to put 5 or 10 gals in heavy equipment in cold weather. Maked it easier to start.
Gene
faeb and genb is offline   Reply With Quote