Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-18-2018, 10:55 AM   #1
Last2Die
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22986
In Command and Battery

2018 3920FB

So a little back story, CW had the coach for about 3 months fixing warranty issues, I stopped by one time to check progress and the batteries (2) were completely drained, (the batteries CW gives for all the trailers im sure they aren't the best) and needed to be plugged in to open the slides. Fast forward to today I go to open the trailer and it is plugged in and opening the hydraulic slides the voltage drops to 12 and under and the in command system shuts down and reboots and keeps doing it over and over again, I plug it in give it a few minutes and the slides come back in.

My thought please correct me if im wrong but the batteries were worn down to absolute zero and more then likely ruined the batteries permanently. Seems they will not hold a charge at all. Im assuming the coach is doing its best to charge the batteries. Is it worth pulling them out and putting on a slow charger or just bite the bullet and get some AMG batteries and call it a day ?

Thoughts, suggestions..? Thanks everyone !!

Tony

Last2Die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 11:23 AM   #2
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Tony,

The batteries have likely been ruined. What you replace them with depends on how you plan to use your rig. If you only stay in campgrounds with hookups then a couple of decent lead acid or AGM batteries in 27 size will work. If there is boondocking in your future I would go with 4 or 6 6 volt golf cart batteries which you can also get in standard lead acid or AGM. Another option is lithium batteries but they are a lot more money. You will also want an inverter and a genny and/or solar for boondocking.

I would also install a battery cutoff switch. The switch in your convenience center only partially isolates your batteries. If you store the rig you want to totally disconnect your batteries or they will need to be charged regularly.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 11:26 AM   #3
glendodom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22698
I believe I would put a charger on them and run for a few hours and see what you get. I left my unit at the local CW for some warranty work for 3 weeks and when I picked it up they had to put a booster on the battery to get it strong enough to do the hydraulics, etc. Overtime these new units seem to have a lot of little lights, etc. that stay on all the time that no doubt pulls a battery down over time when not on shore power.
glendodom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 11:27 AM   #4
Last2Die
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22986
I store the rv next to my house plugged in. When I replace the batteries should I disconnect them from the convenience center ? I was looking at 2 Duracell AGM Batteries, not much boon docking and I would run the inverters when needed.
Old 12-18-2018, 11:33 AM   #5
Last2Die
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22986
pretty sure they are "Marine Master" batteries... not sure if those are any good. It has been plugged for over a month and I think the unit charges the batteries even plugged in the system rebooted. hope this is not a bigger problem....
Old 12-18-2018, 11:41 AM   #6
Last2Die
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22986
which one would you recommend:
https://www.amazon.com/Universal-UB1...P17P08AWVH76Q9

https://www.amazon.com/DieHard-38217...JN705HR6C3Z5V6
https://www.batteriesplus.com/batter...le/12/sli34agm
https://www.batteriesplus.com/batter...le/12/sli27mdc
Old 12-18-2018, 11:46 AM   #7
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Tony,

If you leave your rig plugged in, your smart converter should keep the batteries topped off. The battery switch needs to be connected (where you can not pull the key out) for the converter to charge them.

Old 12-18-2018, 11:51 AM   #8
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Any of these will work with the exception of the Die Hard which is a starting battery. With lead acid or AGM will do the job - lead acid you will need to add water occasionally and make sure it is vented.

Old 12-18-2018, 11:57 AM   #9
Last2Die
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22986
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Traveler View Post
Any of these will work with the exception of the Die Hard which is a starting battery. With lead acid or AGM will do the job - lead acid you will need to add water occasionally and make sure it is vented.
Which die hard..? They are currently vented. Marine master dc24
Old 12-18-2018, 12:08 PM   #10
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Tony,

The second battery in your list is a Die Hard starting battery - I would not recommend it for a RV deep cycle application.

Old 12-18-2018, 12:10 PM   #11
Last2Die
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22986
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Traveler View Post
Tony,

The second battery in your list is a Die Hard starting battery - I would not recommend it for a RV deep cycle application.
Ok Thank you for all your help !!!
Old 12-18-2018, 07:15 PM   #12
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last2Die View Post
2018 3920FB

Is it worth pulling them out and putting on a slow charger or just bite the bullet and get some AMG batteries and call it a day ?

Thoughts, suggestions..? Thanks everyone !!

Tony
Can't hurt, but I predict you are going to be buying some new batteries. As for the operation, your converter will not put out enough current to operate the slides; a charged battery is necessary.
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 07:25 PM   #13
Last2Die
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22986
I went out and bought 2 new batteries. Going to yell at CW and see if they will give me new ones and I’ll have them install the new ones. Should have a total of 4, we will see !!

I know I asked but the coach plugged into shore power will charge the batteries right..? I always leave my coach plugged in. I know these batteries are shot !!
Old 12-18-2018, 08:33 PM   #14
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last2Die View Post
I went out and bought 2 new batteries. Going to yell at CW and see if they will give me new ones and I’ll have them install the new ones. Should have a total of 4, we will see !!

I know I asked but the coach plugged into shore power will charge the batteries right..? I always leave my coach plugged in. I know these batteries are shot !!
I doubt CW will match what you bought; I would not mix different types. Mine is always plugged in when in storage; 100% of the time.
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 08:54 AM   #15
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
http://wfcoelectronics.com/wp-conten...eration-v2.pdf

Read above so you will understand how modern converters work. Also an inexpensive multi meter and 5 seconds of your time will tell you the DC voltage of your batteries as well as converter output.

Since you have incommad system the display will,also show DC volts... simply read with no shore power and then again with shore power to verify output of converter.
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 01:12 PM   #16
Last2Die
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22986
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
http://wfcoelectronics.com/wp-conten...eration-v2.pdf

Read above so you will understand how modern converters work. Also an inexpensive multi meter and 5 seconds of your time will tell you the DC voltage of your batteries as well as converter output.

Since you have incommad system the display will,also show DC volts... simply read with no shore power and then again with shore power to verify output of converter.
That’s some good reading !! Thank you for the pdf. It did answer some of my questions. I have the new batteries in the coach charging as we speak hopefully they will be fully charged and I won’t have a problem for a long time !!!
Old 12-23-2018, 02:08 PM   #17
jaybird
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6300
Let me add a question to this. My Monty is on a slab where I have 50amp power. I've been turning off the utility key when I leave. I'm usually gone 3 weeks at a time. By what I read, the inverter is not able to charge batteries when I'm gone and some power is still on even the key is pulled out. Thus, should I leave the power on all the time when I leave, so I don't drain the batteries down?
jaybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 02:14 PM   #18
cmccuan
Established Member

M.O.C. #20195
You should get all 4 batteries of the same kind at the same time for best performance.
cmccuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 02:17 PM   #19
VegasRose
Established Member

M.O.C. #21138
Solar for Storage

I had the same situation happening where I would bring slides in, and it would reboot, and having to wait - rinse, repeat until slides where in. I decided to do a GoPower Solar "Overlander" 170w single panel kit mounted on the roof. The kit has a charge controller, and it IS NOT in line with my battery disconnect. In storage, I have the battery disconnected, and yet the solar is charging/maintaining the health of the battery. So far, so good!
2018 3120RL Legacy
VegasRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 03:03 PM   #20
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybird View Post
Let me add a question to this. My Monty is on a slab where I have 50amp power. I've been turning off the utility key when I leave. I'm usually gone 3 weeks at a time. By what I read, the inverter is not able to charge batteries when I'm gone and some power is still on even the key is pulled out. Thus, should I leave the power on all the time when I leave, so I don't drain the batteries down?
Jaybird,

If you are hooked to shore power the battery should be connected. Not sure what else you are running to want to keep it connected the whole time. If nothing other than the converter, just manually disconnect your batteries or install a complete battery disconnect switch and unhook shore power. The other option is a solar setup to keep your batteries charged.