Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > The Campsite
Click Here to Login

Old 01-27-2018, 12:00 PM   #1
RoadRunnerTR21
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20746
RVing Canton, TX

I'm starting this thread so that we can discuss freely about RV parks in the Canton, TX area. Feel free to ask any question or have open discussion.

As I stated in a previous thread my DW recommends Mill Creek Ranch Resort. Though we have not personally stayed there we have seen it and it looks real nice. Just beware that the weekend before the first Monday of the month will be First Monday Trade Days in Canton. The RV sites increase for that weekend. My trips to Canton usually involve golf not shopping so I avoid the area during that timeframe.

There are other RV parks east of Canton that we have stayed at. They are OK but nothing special. Even though it is 30 minutes east of Canton there is a very nice RV park just north of Tyler called Tyler Oaks RV Resort. Really nice spacious layout with many amenities. Also right across the street from the RV park is RV Station. This is the Montana dealer we purchased our RV from. All the people in the RV park and RV Station are very nice. Less than a quarter mile north of Tyler Oaks is a Camping World.

We love staying in east Texas. So if you have any additional quations fire away and we'll try to help if we can.

I do have one disclaimer. Your taste in a RV park may be different than ours. I don't ever pick the park. The DW does after hours of research. She is very picky about where we stay. Amenities are a higher priority to her than price. Me? If and can play golf or fish and have access to a ample supply of beer I'm good! See where I'm going with this?

RoadRunnerTR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 12:23 PM   #2
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Thanks for posting and the info. Maybe I can return the favor if you are looking for places in Arkansas. I will point out that there is a great state park half way between Little Rock and Memphis called Village Creek. Top notch 27 hole golf course that is barely used because it is in the middle of nowhere and there are two lakes to fish on!!!

The wife and I are both in your DW camp. We like the better parks and don't mind paying a premium for them! But I am also in your park on the golf and fishing.

Tyler Oaks sounds like a good option that would put us close but not in the traffic of Canton. Doesn't hurt that there would be RV stores in the area either (do you ever stop buying stuff for the RV?).

But just to ask how far away is Mill Creek park from First Monday grounds? Is it far enough away to be out of the heavy traffic or right in the middle of it?
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 12:29 PM   #3
RoadRunnerTR21
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20746
You will be right in the thick of things if you stay at Mill Creek Ranch Resort.
Old 01-27-2018, 12:47 PM   #4
RoadRunnerTR21
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20746
Here is the website for Tyler Oaks RV Resort.

http://www.tyleroaksrvresort.com/
Old 01-27-2018, 12:54 PM   #5
RoadRunnerTR21
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20746
Another option is south of Tyler, TX in Bullard, TX. The name of the park is Bushman's RV Park. https://www.bushmansrvpark.com/

The people who own this park also own Kiepersol Vineyards, Winery & Distillery. It is located very close to the RV park.

If you stayed there you would be looking at 1 hour to get to Canton. But after a long day of shopping maybe some wine or spirits may be in order. My DW has a tee shirt that says "Will trade husband for wine".
Old 01-27-2018, 01:05 PM   #6
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post
But just to ask how far away is Mill Creek park from First Monday grounds? Is it far enough away to be out of the heavy traffic or right in the middle of it?
The entrance to Mill Creek is about half mile from the trades day grounds. But the resort is set back off the road and behind some other buildings far enough that you are not aware of the traffic except when entering and leaving. They used to run a regular shuttle (every half hour?) to/from the trades day grounds all day. I would guess they still do.

Last time I checked you needed to make reservations months in advance for trades day weekends.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 01:39 PM   #7
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
My wife would proably trade me for wine too LOL.

Thanks for the additional info BB. I would expect the parks would be booked on those weekends. I get really tickled watching all the ladies on the shopping meca of East Texas. Some are so overwhelmed they look like deer in the headlights.....To ask a woman to do Canton in one day is like asking a fisherman to cut the line on the catch of his life........
Old 01-28-2018, 08:54 AM   #8
JABURKHOLDER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18572
A couple years back we stayed at Lake Towakoni. The road into the camp ground was very crappy. The main roads in the camp ground were paved but everything else was dirt roads and VERY dusty. The facilities were run down. A lot of sites had non functioning electric. The lake itself was very low due to a severe lack of rain but the fishing was good. If you like isolation, then that's the place to be. Nothing in the area. The closest gas station was in Canton. Very small town with a Wal-Mart and an Asian buffet. Oh yah, they did have that First Monday flea market and we enjoyed that. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not judging east Texas as a whole, just that particular area. We have stayed other places in Texas, albeit not east Texas, but places like Amarillo, Fort Sam Houston, been to the State Fair Of Texas by the old Cotton Bowl, etc. We just don't plan on heading back to the Canton area any time soon.
No disrespect, just our experience.

Rule #1. The Chief is always right.
Rule #2. When in doubt, refer to rule #1.
JABURKHOLDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 09:21 AM   #9
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
In our case we would be going to this area specifically for First Mondays Trade Days. And based on the other comments on this thread it sounds like there are some nice campgrounds in the area. For sure the traffic is nuts in Canton itself during the FMTD weekends, we already know that. I feel for the locals that have to put up with it.

Oh just FYI, I was hatched in South Arkansas and lived 14 years on the LA/Texas Gulf coast so I am familiar with East Texas in general.

Thanks for all the info.!
Old 01-28-2018, 11:03 AM   #10
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Haven’t been there in a long time, but Tyler State Park (~40 miles east of Canton) used to be (and I think still is) a very nice park. Wouldn’t be a bad day trip at all, less than an hour away.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 11:43 AM   #11
RoadRunnerTR21
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20746
Tyler state park is still alive and kicking. It is a nice park. I'm not sure if there are any length restrictions. I would check with them if you were to stay there. We usually stay just north of there at Whispering Pines.
Old 11-25-2018, 07:40 AM   #12
whitesub93
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22946
Isn't Purtis Creek State Park just 15 miles or so south of Canton?
Old 11-25-2018, 07:42 AM   #13
RoadRunnerTR21
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20746
A little more than that. Probably closer to 30 minutes. But not that far.