Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Internet & Cell Phones
Click Here to Login

Old 02-02-2016, 10:27 AM   #1
bullroc3
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7122
GM 4G LTE Hot Spot Use

With the new truck came the much talked about 4GLTE hot spot. I bought the truck in October and the camping season was over. We are driving it occasionally but have not found a need for use of the hot spot. We have it activated and used it very little. The free 3GB went mostly unused. I am on a 1 GB plan @ $15 per month but again, have no use for it as we are not camping and will not be until probably April. Use would probably be April until October but the $15 per month is a waste of money. They do have a 10 GB plan I can purchase for 1 year of anytime us. I am not sure where to go with this one. I thought about trying it for 1 year and then evaluate the results. We do have Sprint service with hot spot on the phones. The only place that we have not found service is in Ocean City MD. We do have a tablet that relies on an wi-fi internet connection. We have the Good Sam GPS that apparently would use the connection for updates on traffic conditions but have not used this yet.

I would appreciate hearing from those of you who have this in their truck. Are you using it and how?

Old 02-02-2016, 01:21 PM   #2
mjammersc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17609
I used my initial free data to offload my regular phone data plan while travelling and a couple times while camping as the truck got signal when my phone wouldn't (different company). I believe you can enable and disable the data a month at a time so you can shut it off til camping season again. We plan on activating ours once and a while when on long trips / travelling a fair amount in a month span.

mjammersc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 12:49 PM   #3
tabraha
Established Member

M.O.C. #18262
I have had an instance where my Verizon connection was lackluster and I was in a bind to move some files for work on a job site. I was fortunate enough the truck's AT&T service was super strong. I decided right then and there the 1gb a month was cheap insurance for me but I am pretty mobile in my line of work and rely petty heavily on an Internet connection. Between VZW and ATT I'd be hard pressed to be out of service for long.

Coincidentally I found out my sons iPad can demolish a gig of data in short order doing automatic updates on apps... I do like that it cuts off and there are no worries on overage charges.
tabraha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 01:06 PM   #4
pkbridges77
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17920
I've often thought the 4GLTE hotspot was more of a marketing ploy than a value. If you have a hotspot on your phone, then you are already paying for it and you're double paying for your truck. It's like paying for a data plan on your iPad if you have a hotspot on your phone. I suppose there may be that unusual time when your truck would get a signal and your phone wouldn't, but by and large if you have cell service then your phone is all you need. BTW my Verizon MiFi provides better and faster wifi than anything I've had before. My opinion!
pkbridges77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 10:53 PM   #5
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
If you do not have unlimited data the updates kill your data plan. We found it was best to shut off the updates and do them manually where wifi is free. Just an idea no matter where your data is. It definitely saves data.
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 05:14 AM   #6
bullroc3
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7122
Well, I suspended the hotspot for the time being. It does affect the weather radar now app and the truck reading my text messages to me!!! LOL I will probably enable it in April once we start towing again and the re-evaluate at a later date. Thanks for the replies.
Old 02-29-2016, 02:21 PM   #7
tabraha
Established Member

M.O.C. #18262
One thing on the radar is that even though I still have my data the radar is actually part of the XM weather/traffic data package so it no longer works. I was disappointed in that as I hate XM/Sirius with a passion. I've never dealt with an outfit so big that was so shady in its business practices.
tabraha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 05:15 PM   #8
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by tabraha

One thing on the radar is that even though I still have my data the radar is actually part of the XM weather/traffic data package so it no longer works. I was disappointed in that as I hate XM/Sirius with a passion. I've never dealt with an outfit so big that was so shady in its business practices.
WOW, sorry for your trouble dealing with XM/Sirius. I have had their service since 2007 and with the exception of a couple of long hold times I've never had a problem. Have always been able to get a very competitive price on service. Watch our automatic renewal dates very close and call them a couple of weeks in advance to get a new package. Guess we have just learned how to play the game.
Old 03-01-2016, 01:08 AM   #9
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
I have this on my 2015 Denali, have no use for it so I just won't pay for it, simple.
RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 01:23 AM   #10
bullroc3
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7122
I stand corrected on the weather. Thanks. I tried it this morning and it is tied to the Sirius/XM radio not the hotspot. Told me my subscription has expired.
Old 12-07-2017, 05:27 AM   #11
powerhaulic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20884
AT&T now offers unlimited data for $20mo, you have to call and ask for it.
You can shut if on and off just need to do so before the mo end.
good coverage and fast except in extreme remote areas
Lippert AirRide pinbox / PullRite SuperLight hitch
powerhaulic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 06:32 AM   #12
speedster100
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17566
As a Canadian who travels a bunch in Northern Ontario in the summer and is in the USA during the winter we have been using the 20g/1yr GM plan in our vehicle. The upload & download speeds are excellent, we have access pretty much everywhere we travel. The RV park free internet is okay in Florida prior to Christmas but after everyone arrives it is almost useless. We turn the key in the truck on for a half hour and can get all of our email, do our banking etc all on a secure connection and make phone calls as required without paying the outrageous prices that our Canadian carriers want when we cross the border. Until satellite internet pricing comes down it makes sense to continue for us... Sure is nice to be in touch while in transit....
speedster100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 05:28 PM   #13
Lenny K
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14417
speedster. I looked at that plan but that wouldn't work for us as we use about 10G a month when in the US.
I'm looking at the Telus plan that gives me 12G data, unlimited texting and calling anywhere in Canada and the US for $125 a month. Not great, but a lot better than other Canadian plans.

Lenny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 05:24 AM   #14
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerhaulic View Post
AT&T now offers unlimited data for $20mo, you have to call and ask for it.
You can shut if on and off just need to do so before the mo end.
good coverage and fast except in extreme remote areas
This is the plan I have works great our plan was to turn off after the Summer travel season we dicided to keep all year. We have tracfone with limited data so for $20 a month for unlimited data it works for us. If our residential WiFi goes down we have a reliable backup like during Hurricane Irma
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 06:40 AM   #15
speedster100
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17566
Already have an unlimited data/txt & cell in Canada that costs $70 a mnth, its on Bell which has limited signal in some regions of Northern Ontario where we frequent during the summer Bluegrass Festival season. The GM data works in all those locations and in two of the festival locations us GM owners with the plan have the only signals... We don't use up the 20gigs a year while stateside and during our trips in the summer so it works for us. We still have unlimited high speed at home when we are there. Was considering buying a pay as you go card for the States but it's a pain in the arse to notify everyone of the new phone number & carrying another cell around so until there is something better for us Canadians at a reasonable price we will continue using the GM plan.
speedster100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 08:52 AM   #16
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We use the Verizon Mi Fi hotspot 40G of Data.We use it year round. We do have a DSL line at the S&B and use it when we are home.We found that unlimited data with verizon is throttled and will not work for us. We need reliable wifi as we travel all over the country and use it for everything. It is not exactly inexpensive but it is what we need and we get our $$ worth.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote