Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 06-26-2009, 05:12 AM   #1
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
Adding Shocks to Your Monty

This likely was discussed earlier, but I want to add shocks to our 09 3400RL. I was wondering if anyone has installed a kit with shocks and what results were attained after installation? Is there a kit that is applicable where the spring package sits on top of the axle instead of below? Appreciate any feedback on this and thanks. Ellis

8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 05:28 AM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Mor Ryde does not recommend shocks and has said at seminars that shocks detract from the Mor Ryde system..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 05:55 AM   #3
blarkman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1977
Yes I did install shocks on my 06 3000rk, and that was after my problems. It did take out the sway and improved the ride. I am also going to replace the #16 blocks with #12 as Gary Wheeler says with my 5200# axles"light weight" my ride is too harsh and Mor/ryde is proving the softer blocks and I will be advising both MOC and Gary. Ihad a very interesting talk with Gary at the Seven Feathers Rally. You can PM me for more info
bob
blarkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 09:21 AM   #4
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
Quite interesting if this is not recommended, as I have noted a number of other manufactured 5th wheels with the shock system inclusive of the MorRyde suspension that came from the factory equipped as such. Specifically the high end units. Anyway appreciate the response and will do some technical search into suspension and shock systems. Simply I do not care for the continual bounce after a dip or bump on the road, which over time places unnecessary wear on suspension parts. Thanks again. Ellis
Old 06-26-2009, 09:32 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Would call Gary Wheeler and have a chat with him as he is the Mor Ryde rep that has done the seminars telling us that shocks are not recommended.
Old 06-26-2009, 11:17 AM   #6
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
Did a search on their Web Site http://morryde.com and noted for the Mor/ryde Rubber equalizer Suspension System (Double Leaf Spring) Installation instructions for the RE - RLE both schematics and photos show shock absorbers with the installations and make no note to remove shocks before or after the installation. Very interesting. Will make a call to Mor Ryde on Monday. I am now very curious and would like to know if there there is contradiction from the Rep or are the schematics and photos are misrepresented? Ellis
Old 06-26-2009, 01:34 PM   #7
blarkman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1977
I was told by Gary, when I called about wet shackle kit I also said I was the guy who took his Montana to Alaska and had all the ride problems and the shock install had improved me ride and handling. He told me that Monroe, who makes the shocks had tested the Mor/ryde suspension system that shocks did not make any improvement. Well I still have some problems, it is a lot better with shocks. I now have little breakage or items on floor when travelling, but storage drawer under fridge did pop out going down I-5 to rally resulting in crunched drawer and slide pulled out. I did show this to Gary at rally and this was when he told me the rubber blocks were too stiff and was going to send me a lighter set.
Mor/ryde cannot take a stand on the shocks, and I understand. I am just finishing up my laminate flooring and then will install the blocks and see how it works.
Old 06-27-2009, 02:19 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
That is pretty much what Mor Ryde said at the seminars about the test Monroe had made with the shocks on the Mor Ryde suspension system. Perhaps I am wrong but I tend to trust in manufacturers design, engineering and spec's. It would not benefit Monroe to say their shocks do not work on the Mor Ryde system. However.It seems that if folks so things counter to manufacturers specs they always do better.... I call it Magic..
Old 07-22-2009, 05:22 PM   #9
Leaseit
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5356
Just my thoughts..... Maybe someone dose not want to spend the money to have shocks put on the Montana when its built. Like the Mor Ryde Wet Bolt Equalizer kit that is available from Mor Ryde after the fact at a charge, maybe shocks on the Montana from the factory got the same justification. As mentioned by other members, shocks would Limit/Reduce bounce and sway from there units, and if i get the chance, i'll put shocks on for the same reason.

What were the shocks that Monroe recommended. ie: Part or model Number please.

Thank you
Randy

Comments are IMO of course.

See http://montanaadministrator.forumco....isplay&id=8818
Leaseit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 06:25 PM   #10
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
My monty came from the factory with shocks on all four wheels. from the looks of it all you need is the lower spring bracket with the stubout for the shock as for the top brackets I cant remember where they are conected to on the frame. but it should be simple enugh to do.
Old 07-22-2009, 07:18 PM   #11
blarkman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1977
If you contact Morryde they can supply you with the shocks and upper brackets, but you have to contact Dexter to get thelower plates. It costmeabout 250 for parts and 220 for installation.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:36 PM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Mor-Ryde will be at the fall rally so we can go through this again...
Old 07-24-2009, 07:09 AM   #13
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
We will eventually install the shocks, as we have done the review and when looking at the expensive rigs even with Mor-Ryde suspensions shocks are inclusive with those rigs.
I simply do not like the vertical bounce and know that shocks will reduce and restrict the motion, plus reduce the tossing of items in the unit. I guess once the shocks are installed it will give us that magic feeling. To conclude: I have completed my homework, looked at many other upper end models and have the accessibility to design, theory and practiacl application to support our need to reduce the bounce with the shock installation; no different than a truck or car.
Appreciate the pros and cons, plus help with pics of the discussion. Ellis
Old 07-24-2009, 08:35 AM   #14
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
It would be interesting to hear the Monroe shock side of the issue. It does not make sense for the shock manufacturer to provide test data that says the addition of their shock would be counter productive. Perhaps something has changed, Better shock??? I am determined to find out at the fall rally as a improvement in the ride would be a good thing. It is one of those contradictory things that always bug me.
Old 07-24-2009, 09:02 AM   #15
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
The tech people I talked to at Monroe supported my question about "adding shocks to the rig thus reducing the bounce, twist, side to side motion", in that the Mor-Ryde should work but in no way by adding shocks would it in any way hinder the application and would restrict the axle vertical travel or bounce. The Keystone tech people felt it was not necessary but could not give any particular deatil as to how Mor-ryde works and restricts (Twist)at the middle shackle to restrain the axle motion in a similar situation or supersedes the shock application.
I am relating my experiences with dirt bikes, ATVs and rough terrain, trucks that have to deal with rough terrain that even go to quad shocks per axle to dampen that vertical up and down motion, otherwise the driver would by banging his/her head on the cab ceiling from continual bounce. Like the situation of a car going down the highway at 60 MPH with poor or no shocks and every time it hits a bump the car continually bobs up and down until you either slow down or the motion fads out with time. Anyway we are off to Antique tractor pulling this weekend. Great discussion!!! Ellis
Old 07-24-2009, 10:25 AM   #16
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have one set of Monroe folks saying it would be counter productive and another set sayng it will not hinder the operation of the Mor Ryde system... They can't both be right??? If the addition of shocks will improve the ride...I want them..If it will be counterproductive..I don't want them. I do not question your exerience..I question Monroe's two different answers to the same question.
Old 07-24-2009, 10:59 AM   #17
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
Here is what Jack Enfield at Mor/ryde responded to my question on this subject:
Thanks for the letter. The purpose of a shock is to control the tire
hop through a dampening device. the Mor/ryde LRE system provides a
level of self-dampening through the rubber shear spring. As a result,
most OEM's do not incorporate shock absorbers with the LRE system.
Shocks could be added after the fact if an owner chose to do so. The
benefit would be slightly improved dampening. It is not clear whether
you would actually feel this difference, however a consumer could choose
to make the addition. To add shocks, you will need 4 u-bolt tie plates
(2 per axle),the upper shock mounts (4), and the shock absorbers. This
work could be done by a dealer or at the Mor/ryde service center.
Average installation time is 2-4 hours.
KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 12:04 PM   #18
blarkman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1977
Let see. I did put shocks on in 07. it did improve the ride and handling, we now can enjoy travelling in our 3000rk. We are not breaking dishes or the fridge. I have just exchanged the #16 blocks for #12 at Morrydes suggestion, next week we go over to the Coast for four days and do expect an improvement. The shocks did improve the ride and handling. IMHO I don't think anything anyone says will convince the naysayers.
bob
Old 09-18-2009, 08:59 AM   #19
davefleck

M.O.C. #9614
When you installed the shocks were the upper brackets there or did you have to have them welded on?
davefleck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 11:12 AM   #20
blarkman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1977
The upper shock brackets had to be fabricated. I got them from Morryde,shocks and upper bkts. I now see that Dexter is listing the shock kit at $120 plus change, an axle. Makes me wonder why now, if not needed.
bob