Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-06-2007, 12:28 PM   #1
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Cambridge and dropped chassis...

We're here in hot, humid Monroe, Michigan, and I'm finally set up next to a Cambridge. Have never seen one, before.

Nice looking unit, and the people seem nice, too. They said they have had nothing but problems, but I digress.

It is a 2005 and has a dropped chassis in the front. If Keystone could get dropped chassis' for the Cambridge, why can't they get them for Montanas? I thought I was told (or heard, or read) that Keystone couldn't get these types of chassis and that's why they are not offered, although the Grand Junction (also owned by Thor) has the exact same model as ours and does have the dropped chassis.

I like this dropped chassis due to the front landing legs being closer to the ground (and thus more stable), and the additional storage.

Hmmm...

snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 12:39 PM   #2
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
So does Cedar Creek offer it on there units
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 12:49 PM   #3
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
I don't think it's a matter of lack of engineering ability to do a dropped chassis as it is an issue of weight and cargo carrying capacity. When Mark Krol spoke to us at the North East Rally this summer, I recall him saying that Keystone was considering going with the dropped chassis in the future, but that this would entail a significant increase in weight of the rigs, with a corresponding drop in carrying capacity as well as taxing the ability of even one-ton pickups to handle the heavier RVs. He was asking for feedback. My recollection is that people wanted the dropped chassis but didn't want the weight penalty--if only we could have our cake and eat it too. Darn tradeoffs!!!!
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 02:21 PM   #4
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
David,

Your answer seems the most realistic I have heard. The Cambridge sitting next to us has a GVWR of 16,850 pounds. I would be at my limits with a 3500 dually, in my opinion. Thanks.
Old 08-06-2007, 03:00 PM   #5
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Forget the weight issue as that can be rectified with a bigger TV. That "Dropped Chassis" also means a lot less ground clearance. Try getting in and out of some driveways without dragging. I've seen the front jacks that were not fully retracted drug on some of these driveways. At least the front jacks can be fully retracted on out Monty's. Try that with a "Dropped Chassis", ain't gonna happen.
Montana goes with a dropped chassis in the full line up and you'll see me buying an SOB in the future for sure.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 04:05 PM   #6
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Not sure I like the looks of that dropped chassis. First noticed on the Cambridge then starting seeing it on others like the Big Horn. It really picks up on the junk from the rear wheels of the TV.

Bad design on this particular model, but watched a guy sheer the pins on his Big Horn because he only had 8" of travel on the gear. They went through the lower frame with the legs. Other dropped chassis models don't necessarily do it that way.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 04:12 PM   #7
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
I'm with Glenn on this one...had trailers with drop axle and low ground clearance means skidding into most places here in the North East. I like my Monty with the above axle spring shackles so any other mods to lower the chassis are gonna make this brand a not for consideration for this clan.
Net is keep it jacked up, towing has been sweet, why change a good thing?
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 04:38 PM   #8
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Glenn is right. The dropped chassis can create a multitude of problems for most of us.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 04:52 PM   #9
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Thanks for the edification, all. I had been looking at these dropped chassis' as a positive, while not realizing the drawbacks.
Old 08-07-2007, 05:04 AM   #10
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
We own a cambridge and I disagree that the dropped chassis is a clearance problem. I posted some pictures previously showing us getting into severely steep situations. While it is true, I was dragging the jack shoes, the rear of the rig was the first to contact and was a much more serious limitation. The rear clearance of the Cambridge is very similar to the Montana 3400.

If you look at the geometry of a TV and Trailer (clearly visible in the profile view of Maichael and Kathy's signature picture) It is hard to visualize a hill or crown so sever as to bother the area between the truck and trailer axles. You are just as likely to bottom out the truck or drag the trailer spare.

Now for a real, as oppossed to imagined, problem -- The short legs require strategic planning when unhooking. The legs have to be extended just right to allow getting off the hitch and still being able to level the rig when unhooked. We are camped at Hidden Valley Campground just outside Albuquerque. The site slopes to the back. I have no extension on the legs and we are just level with the jacks fully retracted. The weight on the pin (3800 pounds) depresses the back of Bubba by 6 inches when hooked up adding to the need to think ahead.

No doubt the Cambridge is one heavy rig. But, I think the hardwood cabinets, big refrigerator, corian counter tops, etal, contribute as much as the dropped chassis. The big basement is awesome but makes overloading easy to do. We actually have a rather small pay load easily taken up by liquids if we were to chose to carry them.
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 05:33 PM   #11
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
I agree with Dave, we have a Cambridge also and have never had a problem with dragging the front landing gear. The rear will drag before the landing gear. And I believe the weigh comes from all the wood and corian counter tops. I can assure you if you aren't careful you can get a lot of weight. The basement is huge, and yes we have a lot of pin weight. However you have to be careful when unhooking if your in a very unlevel site.

Thats one of the issues we had with the Big Sky, it seems to have more plastic than before and of course the lower bedroom ceiling. The maple used in the Cambridge is were a lot of our weight comes from. And don't forget the side by side fridge.

Our stick house was just finished today and we are in the process of moving out of the 5er and into the stick house. However we will still keep the Cambridge hooked up to all electric and sewer and water. If we need extra room when our kids come home we will be sleeping in the Cambridge. We Love our 5er.... GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 01:16 PM   #12
Eagle Man
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7430
Okay, I'll ask, what is a "dropped chassis?"
Eagle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 01:30 PM   #13
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Look at this picture of a Cambridge and notice how the basement is lower to the ground. Do you see the area below the basement doors?

Now, compare to the signature picture of our 3400RL.

Old 08-08-2007, 02:03 PM   #14
mallardjusted
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2334
Wow. There is no way I could go (or want to go) with a dropped chassis! The clearance was one of the big selling points I saw in the Montana. I have a port-a-bote carrier installed below my unit, and there is no way it would fit under the lowered unit.
mallardjusted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 11:25 AM   #15
Eagle Man
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7430
Okay, thanks. I couldn't get that chassis in my driveway.
Old 08-10-2007, 04:49 AM   #16
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
Eagle Man
Is your drive way steeper than This?

http://www.brickner.com/db/activitie...am%20Park.html

f you wish to get a better view just click on an individual picture.

As an aside, another relative with a Montana aborted his attempt to get into this same site. Once again I suggest that most of the clearance problems with a dropped chassis are imagined rather than real --- just MHO.
Dave
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 10:27 AM   #17
Eagle Man
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7430
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Dave e Victoria

Eagle Man
Is your drive way steeper than This?

http://www.brickner.com/db/activitie...am%20Park.html

f you wish to get a better view just click on an individual picture.

As an aside, another relative with a Montana aborted his attempt to get into this same site. Once again I suggest that most of the clearance problems with a dropped chassis are imagined rather than real --- just MHO.
Dave
It's pretty close, plus it is up hill.