Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-30-2004, 08:25 AM   #1
Sue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1356
Why'd You Decide On Your Model

Now that everyone is home from the Rally Why did you decide on the model you have???

Ours was being given away so I choice the 3400RL!!!!

Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 08:48 AM   #2
DrivesBGM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3
Mine held me at gunpoint until I signed on the dotted line!

Craig
DrivesBGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 08:57 AM   #3
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
We loved the floorplan of our 3685FL. But while at the rally we fell in love with the floorplan of the 3400. So now we are kinda sorry we didn't see that before we made our final decision. There are a lot of different floorplans out there. We've had ours only 3 months, so I don't think we will be changing anytime soon. I suggest people take their time and really think about their decision.
Chuck and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 09:37 AM   #4
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Send a message via Yahoo to prariepoodle
Mine blocked the road leaving the dealers and would not let me out untill I hooked on to it.
prariepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 10:02 AM   #5
GordonR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1801
Send a message via AIM to GordonR
We looked long and hard. Steve Reigle has talked very highly of his 3295 and we almost went that way. Then the 3400 across the lot started crying and we had a change of heart. No regrets. I'd echo the advice above to anyone shopping. Get what makes the most sense for you and how you plan to use it.
GordonR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 10:17 AM   #6
Montana_381
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #381
During the course of our search for "the ideal" 5er - one that could accomodate 1 dog, 2 humans, and 3 birds comfortably for an extended period, we must have looked at almost every kind of trailer and floorplan produced over the preceding decade.

After Ford reneged on their promise to build an F-450 Pickup we had to downsize our weight expectations from that of the MountainAire 38KSSB that we'd originally selected. [Newmar was so dejected that they quit making that model.]

We "settled" for one that our truck could pull and which seemed to suit us perfectly.

After spending ~half of the last 12 months in it, we are even happier with our choice.
Montana_381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 12:04 PM   #7
Montana_1683
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1683
We choose our 3295RK because of all the open space in the living area. (Buff enjoys the space to play and relax without being anyones way. Also liked the kitchen being out of the traffic flow so that when I am cooking no-one needs to pass through the area to get to the refrigerator, bathroom, etc. Barb likes the computer desk in the very back with all the counter space to do her crafts. She has easy access to using the kitchen counter, the dining room table, and enjoys the big back window with all the light it provides.

Gary
Montana_1683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 01:40 PM   #8
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
We chose ours because of the flexibility of the floorplan. We can re-arrange the sofa, recliners and dining table to suit our needs. We originally put a playpen where a recliner was in the rear until out toddler adapts to a bed in the camper. We have since added the fixed dinette and are trying to get used to sleeping on it. Hopefully the recliner can return and we can get rid of the playpen.

We almost went with the FL but the lack of privacy in the bedroom for overnight guests using the facilities scared us away.

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 02:32 PM   #9
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Montana Sue -

We were looking to move up from a travel trailer and we were looking at the 2980. But Terrie was concerned that we would be looking at a new trailer every year. The 3400 caught our eye and that's what we ended up with and we haven't been sorry. Half of the new Montanas on the line at the factory were 3400's. We have been extremely happy with the floor plan - Labor Day weekend we had ten people inside having snacks and it wasn't really crowded. It is neat to see what people have done to customize their rigs.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 02:58 PM   #10
Mike and Wendy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1148
We like our floorplan because it is open and we have the option to do what ever we want to . Example put an air mattress on the floor for extra sleeping space. We can also walk into our unit with the slides in. So if we pull off the road at a rest area we can acess the fridge or anything in the trailer.
Mike and Wendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 03:26 PM   #11
Montana_2122

M.O.C. #2122
We purchased the new model Montana 3650RK . We had been looking at different models for the last year and when I saw this picture of the kitchen (with the island) in the Montana flyer, I asked our salesman to see it. Once I walked in, I was in love with it. We have had it for the past 4 months and still believe we made the right decision. We pull it with a 2004 GMC 3500 duramax - tried it in the big hills of Quebec and it did the job. Does anyone have this type of GMC as we would like to know what mileadge you average (when pulling and regular driving).

Claude & Pat
Montana_2122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 04:48 PM   #12
Imp
Montana Master

M.O.C. #956
We had been looking for years at different RV shows for our next upgrade and had liked the 3295. Looked some more this last year and kept coming back to the 3295. Then we saw the 3400 and that did it. We love the bigger kitchen and roomy living room. We also rearranged the recliners and hideabed. Just swapped them. It seems to work much better and it is easier watching the TV from the recliners. We replaced the recliners with Relaxer rocker/recliner chairs. Much more comfortable. We also like the ability to entertain several couples at one time. Can hardly wait till we are full timers.
Myrna
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 04:52 PM   #13
DiananColin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #447
Send a message via Yahoo to DiananColin
We loved the first rig Mountaineer 315 so much we sold it and bought the same model but with the bedroom slide 335 RLBS. We loved it so much that now (third time in 12 months) we have sold it and ordered the 3400 RL for delivery next week. Looks to be what we need for the next while. Usually just the 2 of us but often with one or more grandchildren and sometimes with 6 people. The 3400 should handle the job.

Hope that the next rig is a few years away - getting to be a chore moving all the "stuff" from one rig to another!
DiananColin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 05:57 PM   #14
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
The first unit on the first day when we stopped at a lot was a Big Sky. We looked at MH's, TT's and every 5er we could find but we couldn't get the Big Sky out of our head. So the 3670RL became our passion.

We were about to commit to a new one when I happened to browse the internet ads. We found a 2003 model for a "what's wrong with it" price. It was pristene. It had been cared for by a fastidiously neat and talented engineer and a meticulous housekeeper. No spots or signs of wear on the carpet. The recliners were like new. Absolutely no streaks on the outer surfaces. His reason for selling,"I retired too early."

When he added the tow vehicle at below loan value, I was hooked. It, too, looked as if it just came off the showroom floor. The stacked Washer and Dryer unit and built-in accessories such as a coffee pot sealed the deal. Oh, and it was the plan we liked too.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 06:09 PM   #15
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
We went to dealer with intent of buying a Titanium, but the Spring Floral 3255RL Montana parked next to it on the lot kept pulling us away. It became our 3255RL which we like for its spaceousness and airy feeling. The separate bedroom and bathroom with real doors was the clincher. We are disappointed that Montana seem to be moving away from that type of floor plan to the "bathroom-in-the-bedroom" concept.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 07:16 PM   #16
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
We first saw Montana's 5 or 6 years ago (when they first came out maybe). We fell in love with the 3295 and really coveted this model for years. Tried to buy twice and couldn't make a deal. Then when we finally decided it was do or die, there was the 3400. And with it the rear living room that is as spacious as a small apartment that we dearly love. We have had it less than one month but are basically full timing. We love everything about it. I like the idea of coming into the unit without being in the living room. So you can go into the kitchen or bath or bedroom without interfering with what is happening in the living room. Plus it stays cleaner. I love the desk, fireplace, and all of the storage. I understand it is a very popular model.
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 12:11 AM   #17
dbrill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #359
It was a combination of the bunkroom, bedroom slide and bathroom layout.
dbrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 07:53 AM   #18
Montana_1600
Established Member

M.O.C. #1600
We had looked at Montana 5ers for over a year. Checked out many others but at the RV Show we made our final decision. I loved having the big window in the back of the 5er. Our's isn't as large as some of yours, but works wonderful for us.

There are only two of us and a Jack Russell Terrier (Harley. So, we don't really get in one another's way. There are grandchildren that visit from their own 5er, but doesn't cause any problem.

Like the openness look that is in the 29RL. Of course, this is our first 5er and we could be looking to change in the next year since we want to leave the cold during the winter and live in the 5er during this time. Hopefully, this will still be adequate for us.

Jackie Cooley
2004 29RL
2004 Dodge Ram Cummings Diesel
Montana_1600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 08:28 AM   #19
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
There seems to be a Montana/Mountaineer model for everyone here. That's what's so great. Whatever your preferences, there's a model that is the best fit. For us it's the 3295RK. If we were to buy another, it would be another 3295RK, but maybe the Big Sky. Or the new one that's coming out in a year or so to replace the Big Sky (or so rumor has it). In any case, we wanted room for a washer/dryer stack, lots and lots of inside storage (which the 3295 does best). And we wanted a floorplan that reminded us more of a small apartment, since we were going from a house to fulltiming in a much smaller space. The one thing we didn't really like is the 3295RK is not a great place to entertain since the floorplan is not exactly open. But copying RC and Samantha's idea of swapping the location of the dining table and the big chair really opened it up without sacrificing the other things we like. So this model works best for us just like other models work best for other folks.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 08:34 AM   #20
Bob Pasternak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #800
Send a message via ICQ to Bob Pasternak
We had a 27' class "A" Gulfstream with the 8.1. We had two cars and neither was adaptable to 4 wheel towing so we had to dolly one. Plus the MH was hard to control in wind. And the mileage was hideous. I talked my traveling companion into going to an RV show at Notre Dame. I told her I'd not get a TT; Not stable enough for me. I'd seen too often what happens to TT's in winds and when trucks pass them. We had looked at nearly every make made at the show and the Monty was most attractive. We then went to Goshen for a factory tour and were quite impressed. It finally came down to the 2955RL or the 3255RL. The dealer near us had a 2955RL on the lot or we could order a 3255RL. We flipped a coin to decide. Took the one on the lot. Sold my car and bought a truck and traded the class "A" for the Monty.
Bob Pasternak is offline   Reply With Quote