Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-02-2017, 04:06 PM   #1
Evergreen
Established Member

M.O.C. #20274
Generator question

Hello, we are new owners of a Montana 380th and new members to MOC. We just returned from our first 3k mile shakedown cruise. found and repaired a factory pin plug on a front level jack that was causing various Errors however I havent had an issue since.
Question:
Our new rig is pre prepped for an Onan 5.5 kw Genset. I want to size an Onan generator to handle a full load requiring both AC units while other appliances are running. I am looking at a little larger Onan QG 6.5 Propane unit. it has the same footprint and roughly the same weight as the spec'd 5.5. my question to those who have an Onan 5.5 LP today, does the 5.5 propane unit handle both A/C units and other appliances (Microwave/TV etc.) with ease as it states on their (Onan) website? and, at what altitudes have you ran your generator? we live at 8100 ft and typically camp at 6,000 ft to 10,000 ft. knowing significant KW loss is going to take place (more so with LP gas) at said altitudes, I want to be sure I am not under sized. (I am aware that a vented retrofit will be required to support two (forklift style) horizontal tanks.)
thanks in advance for your input.
Evergreen is offline   Reply With Quote