Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-08-2023, 01:13 PM   #1
Jamesb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21011
Front Electric Jack Just Broke Help

High Country 362RD 2018 Model. Dropped front two jacks (electric jacks) , unhooked truck, hit auto level and BANG, passenger front jack gave way and almost took the frame to the ground. Scared everyone around. Sounds like a gear gave way. It won’t do anything now, gears just turn. Jacked the frame up to get everything back on the truck hitch for the weekend. How do I find the parts for this? It’s either the electric motor gear or a cog on the shaft of the leg. Anyone have experience replacing an electric jack? Looks easy. TIA

Old 07-08-2023, 11:30 PM   #2
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
This might get you started. It looks like there were two different brands used, and there are parts listed under each leg when you click on them, whether the driver leg or the driven leg. https://www.trekwood.com/parts-searc...23+%2F+Keyword
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2023, 12:52 PM   #3
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Yes, I had a front landing (electric) fail about 2 years ago and had to figure out how to fix it. We arrived at a campground when it happened. I unhitched, and then the jack simply popped and that was it. We were within 20 miles of an RV dealership and I called them what to do.

The solution was to replace the entire leg and motor. I thought all I needed to do was swap out the motor that had the broken gear. I ended up with the wrong motor. Took it back and had to get the entire leg with the motor. I replaced it myself.

DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2023, 03:22 PM   #4
Jamesb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21011
Thank you Bob !
Old 07-17-2023, 08:04 PM   #5
Jamesb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21011
Got everything changed out and working normal. Pretty easy job to change it like Bob said. Now I’m thinking when is the other front jack going to break? I cannot understand why these gears don’t have any grease or anyway to maintain them. I guess cheap is good for the manufacture. I would have gone off the deep end if my truck wouldn’t have been pulled out all the way when it broke. Or if someone would have been standing or walking inside the FW when it broke. Rant is over, now moving onto low voltage on the trailer brakes. Be safe.
Old 07-18-2023, 12:29 AM   #6
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
It's a pain but they can be maintained. I've had mine apart. White lithium grease works in the gears. I don't think they break very often. But it's mechanical so anything can fail at anytime...just be prepared.
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2023, 03:16 PM   #7
shoe
Established Member

M.O.C. #30477
Hmmm, on occasion my click when we try to raise the front with no upward movement. Maybe it is time to take them apart and look at them? Sure hate to have one go pop at a camp ground.
shoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2023, 08:59 PM   #8
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
shoe: your 2010 probably has the old original electric front landing legs. They may have been still made by Venture but maybe not. These are the type with a motor on the drivers side that drives a crossbar connected to each leg.

This legs have a finite travel distance. Over-retraction or over-extension is the clicking sound and eventually results in internal leg failures. If you are lucky it is the shear pin.

The maximum stroke of thew driven leg is 20". Many have marked lines on the driven leg 1" short of the maximum travel lengths to avoid accidentally over/under extening a leg.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 02:50 PM   #9
shoe
Established Member

M.O.C. #30477
Carl n Susan, Thank you.

Does anyone have a picture or can point to a picture of where these shear pin(s) are? It doesn't happened all the time, but I'd sure like to nip it in the bud if possible.

One other thought... [thinking about project after our last trip this summer]
Replace the [screw section of the] jacks with two hydraulic cylinders, put a solenoid operated valve in the current hydraulic line (it would default to the slides) when you extend or retract the landing pads by hitting the button, the pump starts and the solenoid would divert pressure to the landing pad cylinders. Our as my wife always seems to think/say, "Do you have to make things so complicated?"
Old 08-10-2023, 05:44 PM   #10
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Shoe: PM me your email address and I will send a bunch of PDFs for the old legs. One or more will answer all your questions.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2023, 10:41 AM   #11
shoe
Established Member

M.O.C. #30477
Now this is fun. I've removed and disassembled both the landing pad jacks. Everything looks great! No wear on the teeth, the pins are all good. I screwed the thread rods all the way out to ensure they were smooth and no broke or bit of metal falling out. Things were fine.

Although, things are a little different than what the kits include [looking at etrailer.com] as my 12T gear has a solid pin instead of a roll pin and a spring clip to hold it in place.

The wife is the one that does the landing pads when we setup or leave and she has had the clicking more regularly. Sometimes it won't the landing pads will not any up or down for a bit too. My next step would be to look at the little gearbox that is attached to the motor. Any suggestions would be appreciated.