Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-11-2010, 11:12 AM   #1
dpam
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10119
Keystone Response about Yellow Stains on ceiling

I sent Keystone Customer Service an e-mail regarding the yellow spots that we have on the ceiling of our 3150RL. In the original post on this subject a couple of Monty Owners thought the stains were because of glue and putty. Keystone's primary thought is that the stains are caused by condensation. Below I've pasted the actual e-mails responses that I've received from Keystone Customer Service:

" We have had this call before and some of the time it can be condensation , and it also could be caused by the static electricity in the aluminum roof supports that is attracting dirt , smoke , ect . you can use soapy water to wipe off. Also some people have took Killz paint and painted over them and then they don’t bleed thru".

I got the following reply when I asked if the stains can be caused by putty or glue. I told them we didn't have this problem with our old 5th wheel, but I think it was all wood construction and no aluminum.

"No this is not caused by the putty or glue . there could be condensation when t he unit is kept air tight and it get hot in the unit. Did your old unit have aluminum studs in the ceiling".

dpam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 03:37 PM   #2
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
"Aluminum roof supports" sure puzzles me. The rafters are stamped steel, not aluminum. I sort of think they might be just telling you something to make you happy. Seems I read on here before that the ceiling is attached to the rafters with steel brads (pneumatic gun) and they rust causing the yellowish stains through the caulking they cover the brad heads with.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 04:05 PM   #3
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
I wish all I had was stains. I get water! It comes from condensation. At least they did say It can come from condensation.
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 04:52 AM   #4
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
We have never had our rig closed up air tight, always keep a vent open. Never been in high heat and humid conditions. We don't smoke. We are only weekender, but we have the stains on the ceiling. We don't have many but we do have them. Sounds like Manufacture double talk to me. "Not their fault or their problem".
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 08:07 AM   #5
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
Just wanted to add post to keep this thread current. I would really like to know how many have this condition. Also If you have contacted Keystone and what they said. This is a real problem and I hate the thought of having my ceiling ripped out to get to all the ductwork.

Kevin
Old 08-12-2010, 08:27 AM   #6
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by swanny

Just wanted to add post to keep this thread current. I would really like to know how many have this condition. Also If you have contacted Keystone and what they said. This is a real problem and I hate the thought of having my ceiling ripped out to get to all the ductwork.

Kevin
Kevin, I read your post in the other thread. We're no more than 20 feet from the bay; hot and humid. We've never had water drip from anything except the inner part of the AC, and it's never bad enough to worry about. I don't think I've ever seen the cover on the front AC wet (Penguin). We run it at night. I'm thinking you've got an issue with ductwork or such.

We have some spots on the ceiling also, but they're not bad enough to be really noticeable. Probably Chinese caulking that yellows with age.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:11 AM   #7
Rubber Tramps
Established Member

M.O.C. #9416
We also have the yellowish spots in our living room/kitchen - haven't noticed them in the bedroom. They are hardly noticeable, in fact we lived in the thing for almost a year before I even saw them. No signs of condensation, we thought it was probably where nail/screw heads are.
Rubber Tramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 09:45 AM   #8
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
We had our stains removed 2 weeks ago by our Camping World dealer. They asked Keystone for a replacement panel which was refused. Keystone gave them instructions how to remove the stains since the dealer detailer wasn't able to get the stuff off. Seems to have worked for now. At least its on record if we have future problems.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 10:45 AM   #9
dpam
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10119
I posted the reply I got from Keystone, and their position is that the stains are from condensation, or/and crap such as smoke, pollution that is attracted by the stratic electricity that is in the metal components in the roof. What did Keystone tell other owners that complained about the yellow stains? It would be good to know how consistent they are with their replys.

I'm also wondering if the stains are caused by condensation then eventually there could be mold developing, which is not healthy stuff. I checked Keystone's website and their brochure for the roof construction standards, so with the ceiling decking with vinyl how does the yellow stain penetrate?

Pineranch, what did Keystolne tell the dealer to clean the stains with, and did they tell you what caused the stains?

Old 08-12-2010, 11:08 AM   #10
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
My initial concern was a roof leak and when I was told it was glue and they resolved my issue, I guess my curiosity waned. Since this is such a widespread issue, I'll stop by tomorrow and ask the question. Living in the Fl panhandle, we know mold. My stains appeared during our midwest and east coast trip in JuneJuly with the AC on constantly if that helps.
Mike
Old 08-12-2010, 11:42 AM   #11
dpam
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10119
I'd be happy if the yellow stain was glue, but when I sent Keystone Customer Service an e-mail asking if the stain is glue or putty they said it was not glue or putty. The following is my last e-mail to Keystone Customer Service, and so far I did not get a reply:

"After reading your replys I went to have a look at how the Monty is built and it appears the roof supports are not aluminum, but galvanized stamped steel, also if the roof is R38 and the attic is vented why would there be condensation? Also I'm a bit puzzeled as to why there are are yellow stains in the living area of the coach, but there are not any stains on the bedroom ceiling (so far)?

I took the following information off the Keystone "standards" area of the Keystone website:
5" galvanized stamped steel roof rafters M
2" laminated, gel-coated Filon™ sidewalls with dual layered luan (R-9) S
Arctic Insulation Package: R-38 roof and R-21 floor M
Vented attic

I took the following out of the Montana brochure:
- 3/8 roof decking
- radiant R-38 insulation (97% heat reflection)
- fibreglass insulation
- aluminum wrapped AC duct
- ceiling decking with vinyl

With all the information on how the roof area was built I'm no expert, but I'm at a loss on why condensation should be an issue. Also with the ceiling decking being covered with vinyl how can the yellow stains penetrate the ceiling vinyl"?

Please advise.

Regards,

David
Old 08-12-2010, 11:46 AM   #12
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
I also have small yellow spot, my rv is an 05 model and I have work camped out of it two winters in a roll. I think the spots
Are the staples showing rust from the moisture in the camper collected inside the camper. One may need to paint the spots as keystone stated, but with the moisture traped inside the camper I can see the staples rusting through again.
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 12:07 PM   #13
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
I have had the staples on my prior Montana. Now I have the yellow stains. I don't care what Keystone says, they look like glue or some sealant that was smeared around during assembly. Then as it ages, it yellows.
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 12:42 PM   #14
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
Man R38 IMO is a lot of insulation. I don't know if R38 would fit in the space between the ceiling and roof. I looked up in there while installing a MaxxAir in the bedroom and it appears to be very little insulation. All may brown spots and yellow lines are at the highest part of the ceiling.
Old 08-12-2010, 03:46 PM   #15
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by swanny

Man R38 IMO is a lot of insulation. I don't know if R38 would fit in the space between the ceiling and roof. I looked up in there while installing a MaxxAir in the bedroom and it appears to be very little insulation. All may brown spots and yellow lines are at the highest part of the ceiling.
I wonder if they might use the foil radiant barrier in the roof. I agree with you, R38 fiberglass is 12" thick. From what I recall, you're not suppose to compress it either. Of course, I know mine don't have 12 inches of insulation anywhere, crushed or not.
Old 08-13-2010, 01:05 AM   #16
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
That's right, they are using a breathable radiant barrier
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 04:14 AM   #17
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
06 3400. Used all year round all over the country. No yellow spots. Why is mine different.???????
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 04:42 AM   #18
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
Along the lines of what camper4 stated, in the past I have had those small jars of white nail putty from the lumber supply places turn yellow over time. If you let those jars set long enough a yellow oil will surface inside the jar. I don't know what kind of putty Keystone uses.

My last Monty 2955 had yellow spots surface on the ceiling after awhile. The new Monty is seven months old and this has not happened yet. We will see.
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 04:48 AM   #19
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I have an irregular splotch of yellow near my kitchen fantastic fan. I believe it is glue as it is very irregular and about 6 inches long. This winter I would like to try and paint my entire celing with Kilz white.....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 11:41 AM   #20
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
The camping world detailer didn't get any guidance from Keystone as I was originally told. After Keystone refused the request for a new panel, she proceeded as the stain was glue. She removed as much as possible without harming the panel then painted it. Can't see it if you are not really really close. How about ya'll folks at a Rally nailing down Keystone on this subject.
Mike K