Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-11-2006, 03:54 AM   #1
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
$$$$$ and Diesel Pricing

Regarding the earlier post (locked because of politics ????)??? It is pure capitalism -- It used to be that diesel went up a few cents in the winter time when fuel oil (heating oil) was needed. Well, homes have not gone down in number nor have truckers / trains moved to a different fuel. Econ 101 teaches the law of supply and demand; as well as the fact that in the short term we have physical constraints on businesses entering the market place. Bottom line -- even without EPA and OPEC involvement, as our population grows and demands more housing, more clothing, more food, the resources (fuel) used to heat and transport those items has to come into the system. It takes time to build more refineries, more pipelines to move the distilled product to distribution sites, and monies to build those with. We now have the monies being generated by the demand jacking up the price, we can only hope that the 'market' adjusts itself by new refineries and pipelines being built. (then again, econ 101 doesn't take into effect governments, OPEC, and CEO bonuses. Wife yelling at me to quit lecturing so i'm outta here. )

Sincere best wishes to all for a GREAT holiday season -- as someone said long time ago, don't let the Ba%T^%$s get you down!!!!)

skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 05:18 PM   #2
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
I think it is pretty simple, if the unleaded gas was raised (the socker mom's would riot) thus they did it without this happening and still made the money. Just raise the diesel fuel, the trucks transporting the goods will raise the cost of their goods delivered to the shelves and the (socker mom's) will buy the product costing several cents more per unit from the shelves... THEY get the same thing done only in a round about way. The cost of Diesel can be transferred to the goods on the shelf... SIMPLE The truckers are not hurt, because the fuel cost is added to the product... Just Folk's that use their Diesel for pleasure are hurt and there isn't enough of us to RIOT.. ""HOGANS LAW"" Safe Travels John
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 04:33 AM   #3
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
John you are right on the mark.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 04:43 AM   #4
Roadster31
Established Member

M.O.C. #5548
I don't know if you have noticed but the price between the different grades of gasoline is changing from $0.10 to $0.20. Ten cents has been the standard for the last 10 years. I am not aware of any changes in the process of making the higher octane grades. Just another way of lining their pockets. !!
Roadster31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 05:07 AM   #5
BirdingRVer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5740
I don’t know John; around here regular gas has gone up 10 cents in 2 days. So far diesel hasn’t moved but, it is 50 cents a gallon more than regular gas.
BirdingRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 05:31 AM   #6
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I guess you can call it pick your lesser of two evils. 1. higher price per gallon on diesel fuel or 2. horrible fuel economy with V8 or V10. Either way it is going to cost us to own and operate our trucks. What's a fella to do??
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 06:22 AM   #7
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Although I don't like the higher diesel prices any more than the rest, don't really care what they do with them...we are going when we want to go and pay what we have to pay. When I'm on my death bed, I don't want to look back and think, "wish I'd have gone on that trip in 2006, but did not want to spend that extra .50 gallon for fuel so did not go."
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 04:28 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
First of all if the cost of fuel is going to really hurt us we are taking up the wrong past time. When I can't afford the fuel I will sell the rig and drive the Honda Civic South for the winter. Next the gap between Gas/ Diesel economy is closing fast and in my opinion are both horrible..if 2 or 3 mpg difference is going to kill us we need to get out of camping. Gas/ Diesel..We will pay the price or do something else.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 09:42 AM   #9
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Has anyone noticed that the prices of Diesel went up when they started "talking" about ULSD being mandatory even before the ULSD was available? Is there a windfall somewhere?

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 12:18 PM   #10
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
It is not windfall; it is because the cost of "upgrading" all the diesel refineries that has driven price increases onto the consumer. The large oil companies paid hundreds of millions of dollars to get their refineries converted over to start producing ULSD fuel. Also had to pay for making sure their “updated” plants also meet the new EPA laws as well.

On a side note, did anyone catch the special on Wal*Mart Tuesday night?? We now have a $300M trade deficit with China and Wal*Mart is thought to have caused approximately 53% of it. They are urging companies to take their operations overseas to China, (average worker paid 50 cents an hour) so they can get the lowest price on these “imported” goods. Don’t forget, minimum wage pay and no benefits for most workers here in the states at Wal*Mart.

How come nobody is screaming about Wal*Mart like they are about oil companies?
Old 12-14-2006, 02:15 PM   #11
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Try as you may Dave but you ain't gonna get the heat off of the oil companies.
You are right it is not a windfall wind·fall /wind-fawl, adjective- accruing in unexpectedly large amounts: windfall profits. None of the oil companies outrageous profits were "unexpectedly" but fully planed and orchestrated. The oil companies could have used a huge amount of their REPORTED profits to pay the bills to convert their refineries and meet any EPA laws. Instead they chose to raise prices which was not unexpected as this has been their method of taking monies from the working man and stuffing their own pockets.

Talk about Wally World all you want but the oil companies are doing more damage to drag down our economy while they get richer and richer. Most EVERY large corporation including those BIGGIES in the oil industry also have huge work forces in low wage foriegn nations.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 03:56 PM   #12
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Glenn,
I am not trying to shift the heat, there is no need as these record profits are not there. I was pointing out there are other companies who are destroying our economy, the global economy, and yet we don’t hear anyone screaming about them. Complain at the cost of oil, as you will. I ask you, at what cost do the low prices of Wal*Mart come?
Old 12-14-2006, 11:40 PM   #13
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Montana Sky

Glenn,
I am not trying to shift the heat, there is no need as these record profits are not there. I was pointing out there are other companies who are destroying our economy, the global economy, and yet we don’t hear anyone screaming about them. Complain at the cost of oil, as you will. I ask you, at what cost do the low prices of Wal*Mart come?
these record profits are not there??? Say what??? The oil companies have been reporting outrageous profits for years and years and most if not all of these profits are going into the pockets of the corporate big wigs and some to their wealthy share holders with little trickling down the their workforce. All that is needed to find this out is either read a newspaper or watch TV.

As far as Wally World, While you feel they maybe "destroying our economy, the global economy" I see it as helping these foreign nations and in actuality building the global economy.
These foreign nations have a different STANDARD of living than we do here in the states. Their hourly rates may seem low to us but that is the standard of living for their citizens. What we here in the states see as meager wages these countries see as helping a helping hand to build their nations. Having the likes of Wal*Mart going in their and utilizing this work force is actually supporting the global economy by putting giving these poor people work. Without Wally and other companies being there these folks would be starving. The wages maybe meager, in our eyes, but it is the standard for these poorer nations.
Wal*Mart also supports our economy in the states by giving millions of our citizens jobs and a wage and therefore removing them from the unemployment and welfare rolls.
I see no problem with Wally helping these foreign nations and at the same time helping the US.
I am also sure that everyone that reads this, including you Dave, take advantage of the "lowest price on these “imported” goods" as you do your Christmas shopping.
Most every corporation, including our beloved General Motors, brings product out of these foreign countries. Products made by low wage earners. Don't believe that? Just look at the "Made In _____" label on most every item in your house, your Monty and your TV.
One last thing...
Your comment from an earlier post..
"Don’t forget, minimum wage pay and no benefits for most workers here in the states at Wal*Mart."
If we were to ridicule Wal*Mart for that than we must ridicule EVERY other retailer. Be it Wal*Mart, K Mart, Target, McDonald's, Burger King, Arby's, 7 Eleven, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, for those same minimum wages with no benefits.

-------------------------------------------------------

On Edit--This thread may(?) become political in nature and if Admin sees fit to lock the topic I, for one, will fully understand
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 12:17 AM   #14
Montana_6147
Established Member

M.O.C. #6147
It should also be pointed out that the average Wall-mart per hour wage of $10.45 is almost double the minimum wage. If you want to comment about US wages How About the Goldman sucks average of $660,000 per year for every employee, this includes the obscene 12+ BILLION in bonuses just announced. Does it help that the Secretary of the treasury is the former head of the company and has advance knowledge of such thing as the public offering of stock in a large Chinese Bank which reportedly netted Goldman 3,9 Billion.
Montana_6147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 04:54 AM   #15
RVWheels
Moderator Emeritus

M.O.C. #29
Well folks we've tried twice now with this basic subject and as much as we hate to censor stuff...... This is just getting too political and adding nothing to the MOC Mission Statement so it will be locked. Also please resist the urge to bring up this topic again. There is another post that sites a bunch of Questions and Answers about this issue that pretty much sticks to the point and clears up a lot of confusion.

RVWheels, MOC Admin.
RVWheels is offline   Reply With Quote