Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 01-31-2017, 04:26 AM   #1
John Neeley
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19277
Hydraulics or Battery??

Here on my 2016 Monty 3440RL which I purchased in August, a problem has popped up regarding the 6-way leveling system and slideouts. Seems when I activate the the controller for the 6-way leveler, that the battery voltage drops down to 11 volts and the hydraulic motor stops, until I cycle the switch again, then it works. This is also happening on my IN-Command control panel for operation of the 3 hydraulic slides, where they will stop midpoint. I can watch the battery voltage drop from normal to down around 11 volts or lower, where the voltage display turns RED and the slide stops, until I cycle it again.
This can stop 2 or 3 times per slide operation. I have even seen the battery voltage drop down to 4 volts, once. The electric bedroom slide works fine. I dont know what to think, is it the hydraulic system or batteries. This unit has 2 batteries in parallel, and am wondering if one doesnt have a bad cell, which will also effect the other battery, under load. I am thinking today I will go out and disconnect one battery at a time and see what happens and check battery voltage at IN-Comm panel. If both do the same thing, then I have a good spare I will put into the line, minus the existing batteries, and see if it does the same. If so, then it goes into the shop. Wonder if anyone else has experienced this problem?

2016 Montana 3440RL Legacy-Andersen 3200 Hitch
John Neeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 04:56 AM   #2
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
Sounds like a circuit breaker issue possibly. You can see them in the front compartment they (mine anyway)are in there. Your bed slide should be electric, it has cables outside at the bottom corners correct?
Is your coach plugged in to shore power during storage or at least when you're operating the slides and leveling?

Mark
Old 01-31-2017, 06:17 AM   #3
rafael33155
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13290
Send a message via MSN to rafael33155
had the same problem my breakers in front were 40 amp and over time got weak and was stopping the hydraulics halfway i bought a pair of 40 amp auto reset break from auto part store for 4 bucks each double them up made them into 80 amp and never had a problem again
rafael33155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 06:51 AM   #4
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
Being a 2016, problem shouldn't be a bad battery, but never say never. When is the last time you pulled the caps to check and add distilled water on them. If one turns out to be bad, then it has been pirating the other and you will need to replace both. First thing I would do is follow the power cable from pump down to one of those cheapie automotive reset breakers. Take off the rubber cover and put a short across the two terminals. With the short In place try cycling the slides. However, voltage dropping that much sounds very much like toasted batteries.
Old 01-31-2017, 07:23 AM   #5
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
First thing I would do is make sure you have 80 amp breaker going to the pump. After that if you still have a problem look at the batteries.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 08:42 AM   #6
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
When i had that problem during the first winter, Keystone said it was the hydraulic fluid thickening due to the cold and replaced my 40amp breaker with an 80amp breaker under warranty.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 10:33 AM   #7
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
The slides starting and stopping is typical of the circuit breaker problem so often described here. But the voltage dropping would point to something else going on. The simple fact of the breaker tripping should not affect voltage. In fact, if the breaker tripped, stopping the pump motor, the voltage should show full battery voltage.

If the voltage is normal prior to starting the slides, and drops as you indicate while the slides are moving, I would guess one of two things. First would be a weak battery. Pull them out and take them to an auto parts store and have them tested.

If the batteries prove good, then my second guess would be a problem with the hydraulic pump motor. If the motor is not running at design speed, or if it is overloaded due to not being able to pump hydraulic fluid as designed, it will pull higher than normal amps. Could be much higher than design. And high amps can cause the voltage to drop. Some voltage drop under load is normal. That much drop is not.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 12:07 PM   #8
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
For it to start and stop while the voltage dropped doesn't sound like a breaker. They are either on or off. I would check the battery connections. That doesn't cost anything. I don't think that's the problem. Next thing I would check is the battery. You didn't say how cold it is where you are. Cold weather will affect a battery.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 03:19 PM   #9
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
As everyone says, common problem. I replaced the circuit breaker with a manual 100 Amp Audio Breaker.

Just FYI, the pump use between 60 and 80 Amps depending which weather the slides are going out or in. Never monitored the current draw for jacks, since I am normally outside during those operations.

7.3Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 03:41 PM   #10
John Neeley
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19277
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by MARK A

Sounds like a circuit breaker issue possibly. You can see them in the front compartment they (mine anyway)are in there. Your bed slide should be electric, it has cables outside at the bottom corners correct?
Is your coach plugged in to shore power during storage or at least when you're operating the slides and leveling?

Mark
Yes, possible circuit breaker heating up and thereby activating for a short time. I went through all the tests that I mentioned in the original thread and nothing changed no matter or how many batteries I had in parallel. Yes it was plugged into shore power. I contacted my service department and first thing he said that it was a possible circuit breaker, but bring it in and have them check it for sure. Course under warranty, but just the 85 mile one-way haul. I have a service shop I use locally, but due to the fact that this is still under warranty, they didnt want to get involved until after warranty period is up. Guess I cant blame them.
Old 01-31-2017, 03:52 PM   #11
John Neeley
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19277
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mlh

For it to start and stop while the voltage dropped doesn't sound like a breaker. They are either on or off. I would check the battery connections. That doesn't cost anything. I don't think that's the problem. Next thing I would check is the battery. You didn't say how cold it is where you are. Cold weather will affect a battery.
Lynwood
I am using the IN-Comm computer system in this 3440RL, and I think, like most, it is the circuit breaker heating up and not causing a complete break but a High Resistant short, thereby lowers the voltage to the computer and shut it off. Each time this happens, the display goes through a cycle to reconnect to the computers bluetooth, then I am able to push the buttons on the display panel to operate the slides. I will check out the circuit breaker tomorrow and replace it with a heavier amperage breaker, at least for a test and maybe save me a pull down to service shop many miles away.
Thanks to all for their advice, it is appreciated..

John
Old 02-01-2017, 02:54 PM   #12
Drifty1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9441
My thoughts are that it could be a bad connection in the 12 volt system between the battery's and the pump. Something like a loose bolt or wire nut..
Old 02-02-2017, 01:32 AM   #13
psomers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12724
Kind of agree with Drifty1. With VOM put positive lead on + of battery and negative on connector at pump. Under load how much voltage is cable and circuit breaker dropping?

Paul Northport,AL W4XH
2013 358 RLT Mountaineer
2008 Silverado Duramax
psomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 04:14 PM   #14
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
You have a 2016 unit and it should still be under warranty. Contact Keystone Customer Service and tell them of your problem and have a file started on your unit and them contact your dealer on the problem. Let the dealer you have a file started with Keystone and let them take it from there. Let us know how things turn out!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 02:07 PM   #15
John Neeley
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19277
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Neeley View Post
Here on my 2016 Monty 3440RL which I purchased in August, a problem has popped up regarding the 6-way leveling system and slideouts. Seems when I activate the the controller for the 6-way leveler, that the battery voltage drops down to 11 volts and the hydraulic motor stops, until I cycle the switch again, then it works. This is also happening on my IN-Command control panel for operation of the 3 hydraulic slides, where they will stop midpoint. I can watch the battery voltage drop from normal to down around 11 volts or lower, where the voltage display turns RED and the slide stops, until I cycle it again.
This can stop 2 or 3 times per slide operation. I have even seen the battery voltage drop down to 4 volts, once. The electric bedroom slide works fine. I dont know what to think, is it the hydraulic system or batteries. This unit has 2 batteries in parallel, and am wondering if one doesnt have a bad cell, which will also effect the other battery, under load. I am thinking today I will go out and disconnect one battery at a time and see what happens and check battery voltage at IN-Comm panel. If both do the same thing, then I have a good spare I will put into the line, minus the existing batteries, and see if it does the same. If so, then it goes into the shop. Wonder if anyone else has experienced this problem?
As promised, here is the outcome of this problem which is now fixed and working correctly.... the culprit was the In-Command Motherboard which CW replaced under warranty of course... All works now as should.
Old 02-27-2017, 10:19 AM   #16
rafael33155
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13290
Send a message via MSN to rafael33155
if i where you i keep an eye on the 40 amp fuse that's the next to go
rafael33155 is offline   Reply With Quote