Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-11-2019, 02:55 PM   #1
RoadRunnerTR21
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20746
Larger fuel tanks

For those of you that have added a 50 gallon or more in bed auxiliary fuel tank I have a question. Do any of you regularly use a biocide to prevent algae growth in your tank? I'm not talking fuel treatment like Power Service or Stanadyne, I'm talking about products such as Bio Kleen or Killem Biocide.

RoadRunnerTR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 06:13 AM   #2
MidMOTraveler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20688
Major brand truck stops have additives put in tanks.
Not sure how effective the carry over would be at keeping personal tanks algae free.
Other than fuel sitting longer in auxiliary tanks what keeps this from happening in on the on board tank?
2017 F450 DRW KR 4x4
MidMOTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 10:34 AM   #3
daveinaz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23256
Good question. Our TV came with an extra (can't spell auxiliarry) diesel tank / took box combination in the back. Haven't used it yet. Wondering how long diesel is good. Does it keep longer than gasoline? Debating whether to take it off and save the weight since I don't see when I'd need such a thing.

Dave in AZ
2008 Montana 3400RL
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 Diesel Dually
daveinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 10:42 AM   #4
RoadRunnerTR21
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20746
From what I have read Dave, diesel can go bad quicker than gas. That said, I really wish I had the auxiliary tank the last time I traveled from east Texas to AZ. There were a few spots where fuel choices were slim.
Old 03-12-2019, 10:57 AM   #5
daveinaz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23256
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadRunnerTR21 View Post
From what I have read Dave, diesel can go bad quicker than gas. That said, I really wish I had the auxiliary tank the last time I traveled from east Texas to AZ. There were a few spots where fuel choices were slim.
This is my first diesel, so I'm pretty ignorant... so.... how do you know if diesel has gone bad? If it has, can you treat it with something? Or do you pump it out of the aux. tank and dump it or what?

Dave in AZ
2008 Montana 3400RL
Old 03-12-2019, 11:23 AM   #6
RoadRunnerTR21
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20746
Dave if your diesel goes bad it will produce a sludge that is referred to as algae. Technically it is microbes that produce this condition. If this persists, it will ultimately clog your fuel filters which is not a good thing for diesels. If diesel fuel is stored in temps 70F or lower, the fuel will last upwards of one year. If the temps are greater than 70F, the fuel can generally last 6 months. I can see me going through 80 gallons of fuel in 6 months so I am not overly worried about this. You also live in a warm climate so you need to consider this. Water is the other killer for diesel. Not keeping you tanks full for long periods of time can contribute to a condensation build up in a auxiliary tank. Again that why most of our trucks have water separators that can be drained. Good quality fuel is important to any diesel operator. That's why you hear people saying that they only purchase fuel from high volume stations and not just any place that sells diesel. There were a few stations in west Texas and NM that I bypassed just because I was concerned about stagnant fuel. This is the benefit of having additional fuel available when you travel. At least that's my logic.

I am on my 5th diesel.
Old 03-12-2019, 12:17 PM   #7
daveinaz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23256
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadRunnerTR21 View Post
Dave if your diesel goes bad it will produce a sludge that is referred to as algae. Technically it is microbes that produce this condition. If this persists, it will ultimately clog your fuel filters which is not a good thing for diesels. If diesel fuel is stored in temps 70F or lower, the fuel will last upwards of one year. If the temps are greater than 70F, the fuel can generally last 6 months. I can see me going through 80 gallons of fuel in 6 months so I am not overly worried about this. You also live in a warm climate so you need to consider this. Water is the other killer for diesel. Not keeping you tanks full for long periods of time can contribute to a condensation build up in a auxiliary tank. Again that why most of our trucks have water separators that can be drained. Good quality fuel is important to any diesel operator. That's why you hear people saying that they only purchase fuel from high volume stations and not just any place that sells diesel. There were a few stations in west Texas and NM that I bypassed just because I was concerned about stagnant fuel. This is the benefit of having additional fuel available when you travel. At least that's my logic.

I am on my 5th diesel.
So, if I open the cap on my aux tank, how do I know if the fuel is bad? I would see an algae or sludge in the tank? The tank has a spin on filter at the pump. Would that trap the algae/sludge? Pump out the tank and then replace the filter?

Dave in AZ
2008 Montana 3400RL
Old 03-12-2019, 12:40 PM   #8
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
A diesel tank that will sit out for a long time needs a biocide, it will take care of the algae. I use Biobor from West Marine.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 12:48 PM   #9
RoadRunnerTR21
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20746
Here is a link to read https://www.bellperformance.com/bell...sel-fuel-algae

If you start going through a bunch of fuel filters because they are clogged, you most likely have an issue. You can treat this condition with a biocide like the ones I referenced in my first post. Hopefully you have a in-line fuel filter between you auxiliary tank and your main fuel tank. That one is easy and cheap to replace. When you are having to replace your main fuel filter, that means your problem has progressed further down your fuel system and it will need to be cleaned out which can be a messy proposition. Regardless, these filters are trying to protect your injectors.

Our POA has a 250 gallon diesel tank for our diesel John Deere tractor. The fuel delivery guy treats his fuel with a biocide but he does it whenever he gets his fuel delivered from his bulk supplier. I've seen fuel sit in that tank for over 1 year and it is still good. So my original question for those that have a auxiliary fuel tank is do you use a biocide? Is this a ounce of prevention kind of thing or do you just blow it off and go down the road?
Old 03-12-2019, 12:54 PM   #10
RoadRunnerTR21
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20746
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLightning View Post
A diesel tank that will sit out for a long time needs a biocide, it will take care of the algae. I use Biobor from West Marine.

That Biobor JF looks interesting. Thanks!
Old 03-12-2019, 06:47 PM   #11
GAinaMontana
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20747
Been using desiel in pickups, road tractors and farm tractors all my life and have never used any algae additive. Always filter fuel on the way into the tank. Bought tax paid and ag fuel by the semi load for years. Just changed the filters on a regular schedule. I live in an extremely humid area so water was always the issue when there was one. I have a transfer tank in the bed of my truck for truck and tractor fueling today so seldom have fuel setting around any more.
GAinaMontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 07:56 AM   #12
Starman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23643
Not looking for an argument but diesel will keep for years and still be good. You can treat it if you want to be on the safe side.
Also, if you have a transfer tank in your truck, periodically use it and you shouldn’t have any issues with it.
Old 03-17-2019, 02:43 PM   #13
Randy E
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21626
Larger fuel tank.

We have a 2016 Chevy dually diesel. I added the transfer flow tank to the bed. I now carry 109 gallons. I can handle the extra weight without issue. But the one thing I overlooked and really enjoy is , I can now buy fuel when and where I want to. I never get in a situation where I need it now. I use the extra tank all year long. Even when not towing my 3791RD. Yesterday I needed fuel. I use my GasBuddy app and find fuel $.57 a gallon cheaper 20 miles from my house. This is at a major fuel stop too. So I drive 20 miles to save $57 on my 100 gallon fill up. Then I take the wife to dinner and come home happy. I can run a full month on a full up if I don’t tow. When we do tow I can comfortably go 1000 miles and still have a nice reserve. My tank transfers the fuel to the main tank without doing a thing. I love it. Worth every penny. I say if you have the tank. Use it. You will find it very useful when crossing large areas that don’t have a lot of fuel stops.
Randy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 05:46 PM   #14
RoadRunnerTR21
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20746
Thanks for your input Starman and Randy E.
Old 03-17-2019, 06:18 PM   #15
Recumbent
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10457
I am not trying to be contrary, but I have personal experience with diesel growing algae in side an approved for diesel metal 300 gallon farm storage tank. The issue is the empty space above the diesel level where air and diesel (used as growth medium) are available for growth at just above the level of diesel. The scum will accumulate and will mix with new diesel when tank is filled up then stop up fuel filters. I have personally spent several hundred dollars cleaning up this situation. Unless there is a new rule that I am unaware of for diesel refining, not all diesel is treated with biocide additive. As has been noted the problem with algae growth is if the untreated diesel sets and is not sloshed around for several months. Our situation occurred when we let diesel set for about 6 months.
Recumbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 06:18 PM   #16
Starman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23643
RoadrunnerTR21 I’ve been driving a diesel pickup since 1993 and have never had a problem with fuel. I have 5 gal. Jerrycans with diesel in them for almost a year. Today I looked at it, it is still green in color and ready for use. No sludge in the bottom. I carry it on trips and use it,then fill it up when I can. Never heard of diesel getting algae.
I treat my tank every three or four tank fulls with fuel line and injector cleaner(forgot the name) from Walmart. I’ve torn my fuel filters apart before to see what was in there. After all gas stations were required by law to switch to new polo pro type tanks vise steel. I haven’t ever drained anything but water out of my filters.
I’m in the process of buying a transfer tank for my truck. Not a fan of tanks sliding around in my truckbed. Want aluminum vise steel to avoid inside tank rust. Plan on using the tank regularly.
All in all, I hit up high volume gas stations and if the diesel pump is slow in pumping, stop and find another gas station. The tank is getting low and your getting the bottom of the tank.
Old 03-17-2019, 06:39 PM   #17
Recumbent
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10457
I had for almost 6 years a 45 gallon gravity feed aux tank in bed of my previous 2012 F350 DRW and and never had any issues with algae or any bad diesel, but have drained small amounts of water out of first filter under cab on occasions. We always tried to fill up at high volume stations. Having 80+ gallons of diesel was a convenience and a good choice for us. This past August of 2018 we had the 55 gallon Titan replacement tank put in our 2017 F350 SRW and enjoy the extended period between fill-ups.
Recumbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 08:39 PM   #18
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
I have a small aux tank- 20 gallon. Only need to extend range when pulling the 5er. Actually, look for convenience getting fuel towing~ fuel with the big guys for easy and fast in/out. When I even consider the price of fuel it is time to sell the rig and get a Prius.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 10:46 PM   #19
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
I have a 60 gal. RDS aux. fuel tank that I have used for over 6 years with no problem. I always fill up both tanks each time I fill up and let the gravity fed tank run into the main tank and have never used anything but the power service diesel kleen in every fill-up. I don't have any extra filters for the aux tank. I fill up about once a month when not traveling. If you keep the fuel continually flowing in stead of using the main tank before using the aux. tank you should not have any problem.
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 12:25 AM   #20
Arky

M.O.C. #23641
Biocide in fuel tank

I have used biocide, I purchased a 50gal transfer flow fuel tank. The recommendations were to use it after a couple fill ups to remove any particles from the new tank install. I'll have to look in the owners manual when the next biocide needs to be added and I'll post that information.
Arky is offline   Reply With Quote