Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 06-23-2011, 03:13 PM   #1
johnp4191
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6664
Water Leak around Refrigerator

I just discovered that we have a leak somewhere around the refrigerator. I first found moisture on the floor of the kitchen when the slide was opened. Then I discovered the drawer we put in under the frige was swollen and wouldn't open. I opened both vents on the outside and the entire frige area is wet. It doesn't seem to be coming from the roof of the slide, the slide has been closed, but seems to start at the bottom of the upper vent. I don't see any breaks in the vent cover caulking.

Has anyone else had a similar problem?

Judi

johnp4191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 03:56 PM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
You may have a clogged drain line on your refrigerator. If you open the lower access on the outside, check the line. My unit is a Norcold and I had the problem at one time. Moisture backed up into the catch tray inside, under the coil in the refrigerator. The water then froze and condensation ran down into the floor of the refrigerator and out the door and on to the floor.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 04:19 PM   #3
CmdrDewey
Montana Master

M.O.C. #433
Try this link
http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=29699

Also run a search for refrigerator vent (look for exact phrase) you should see the above link and a post from waynem. look at both of those
CmdrDewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 01:21 AM   #4
johnp4191
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6664
Looks like I will be trying Waynem's fix. That makes sense, because I don't see a break in the outside caulking. It is definitely not the drain hose, had that 2 summers ago, mainly because the fridge is not on. We haven't used the Monty yet this cold and rainy summer and it is sitting next to the garage all closed up!

Thanks for the help.

Judi
Old 06-24-2011, 06:03 PM   #5
suunto
Established Member

M.O.C. #10173
I had the same problem as you are describing. I went ahead with the fix described above and so far I have not had anymore water problems. I believe this will take care of your problem.
suunto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 03:28 PM   #6
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Glad to be of help!
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 04:22 PM   #7
markwick
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2204
Be careful when washing your rig - if you use a hose to rinse off the sides water can easily get into the upper fridge vent as you are spraying from below - water will get in the vent and drain down the inside to the drawer and floor!
markwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 12:27 PM   #8
johnp4191
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6664
I did the Waynem fix and it seems to have worked. We had a lot of rain last night and I checked the vents and the wood behind the new metal dam was dry and there was still water sitting on the vent frame. So, if you open your refrigerator vents and they are flat without any slope to the outside or flange at the back, you probably will have a water issue at some time. What a silly design and such an easy fix. Shame on Montana for having such problem.

Judi
Old 07-10-2011, 01:37 PM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Judi, I'm glad to hear your problem is fixed.

If by chance you still get water after this, check the seals around the slide to make sure none are turned under. That's when we get water inside on the floor by the fridge, but only during a rain storm. And only when the slides are open. I believe you said yours were closed this probably won't apply, but just in case...

I use an awning rod to run up under the seal to turn it out as it is supposed to be. I find the seals turned under so frequently that I now check every time we move the slides. It seems to be mostly in cool weather. I guess in hot weather the seals are more pliable and less likely to not turn out fully.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote