Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 02-16-2011, 06:01 AM   #1
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Mike Thompson Service

What a bunch of goofs, they ordered the wrong tank can you believe it?
If you call them to get a update on the work the call is never returned, bad communications with there customers.

On 2/10/11 Mike Thompson received the tank through Fed-Ex @ 10.01 AM. The tracking number was 897538340585409. I called Doug and asked when I could bring in the trailer on 2/11/11 and he told me that either Monday or Tuesday 2/14 or 15th would be fine.
I received a call from Doug stating that the wrong tank was ordered, that a left hand drain was received instead of a right hand drain, and a proper tank had to be reordered, with the proper outlets direction.
This should have been noticed at the time of delivery of the tank. My time is very valuable and errors like this could have been avoided if inventory was taken and checked by the mechanic doing the work earlier.
What has been a simple job of installing a black tank in my trailer has become a major project.
I brought my trailer to Mike Thompson’s with the plumbing pre cut, with all new 3 inch 45 degree connectors, glue, extra vent pipe and connectors, new fast flush connector kit, flange gasket , toilet flange with screws, underbelly removed from trailer, toilet remove and sanitized, floor protection installed. All this I have completed before any work was started on the trailer, which I will replace and put all the underbelly and finish trim for the trailer myself
It is a no brainer job, to cut the existing plumbing top and bottom of the tank, remove 4 teck screws for the tank brackets, drop the tank and transfer the holes for the new plumbing connectors on the new tank, put four holes for the sensors and 1 hole for the fast flush system.
Im almost ready to tell them I'll drop the tank and do it myself, but I'll wait and see what happens next before I make any decisions.
I'm a little peaved right now

Old 02-16-2011, 06:23 AM   #2
drknapp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9135
Don,

Which location are you dealing with? I have the Colton location working on warranty issues on ours right now and want to know if I need to keep an eye on them.

Thanks.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:41 AM   #3
arcateq
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10837
Send a message via AIM to arcateq
You need to keep an eye on the colton location. We bought ours and service it here because it is close and still on the 1yr warranty. They talk a good game but they are slow and their attention to detail is horrible. STAY ON THEM! They cant even install a wallpaper border correctly it is off a solid inch and slanting. This is my 3rd time and i want the paper to do it myself.
arcateq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 08:13 AM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I bought my Monty in Fountain Valley and then we retired and moved to Riverside county so we have to go to Colton. But never again. They are slow, they have terrible follow through and it's always the other guy's fault.

They are the ones that charged me $1,000 for the wet bolt installation. This was back when I was new and ignorant and didn't know what it took to do this and I probably paid double of what I should have. They showed me the shackles starting to fail and I (stupidly) agreed to have the work done.

Before that it took 7 weeks to fix my fridge when the unit was 3 months old. I later learned they could have just swapped it out immediately on a "warranty replacement" instead of waiting for the repair to be done but they didn't "think" about this. They actually told me that they didn't think I was in a hurry since I was not a full-timer so they tried to say, this is what I wanted. Idiots!

They could never fix the slide out problems (start/stop) in two visits. I figured out the Lippert fix with the help of the MOC and ended up fixing it myself.

They couldn't figure out why the under front cap light didn't work reliably. I ended up having to replace the switch myself.

When they promised to call me for periodic status, they NEVER met a commitment, including when they finally finished the fridge repair. I had to call each and every time and several times cuz I always got email or the dude was out (in the middle of the workday and not lunchtime? Yeah, right!). But they were always quick to call when they wanted to do work that would cost me more money!

The only good thing that ever happened was when I found our recliners falling apart because the factory did not install all the hardware and they were falling apart. When I explained I would only expect a swap out and was not willing to wait for weeks for keystone to evaluate what I already knew was wrong(hardware was flat out missing), THEN they went into the lot and let me pick out two new recliners like they were doing me a favor. I was able to drive away happy (fortunately I had put BOTH recliners in the truck bed because they were NOT gonna hold my rig hostage, again). I went home with two new recliners and they would have to work with Keystone to get them replaced from where they got them from. The hardest part for me was getting them back in the rig, but not having to deal with Mike Thompson was a willing relief.

Because of them I have learned to do Monty work myself and save a lot of time, money and distance (55 miles one way to drop it off via California freeways and that's the easy location).

I'm hoping everyone else will have a better experience. Do expect to haggle and bug them because they talk like they care about their customers, but their actions show otherwise because I don't think they know better.

If you decide to do the work yourself, let me know and I'll drop by and help. I'd like to see how it all works and it sounds like you've cleaned it up anyway, so putting it back together shouldn't be too messy. I'm sure Mike Thompson would screw it up anyway and try to hide their work behind coverings and flooring. But wait until it's not raining.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 11:31 AM   #5
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Mike Thompson in Santa Fe Springs was rated by Trailer Life as one of the top 10 dealers in the states!
Jack
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 11:36 AM   #6
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
We bought ours at the Fountain Vally location. They had ours for a total of 78 days the first year and it was in worse shape every time we picked it up. Finally Keystone took it to the Oregon factory and fixed it in less than a week. Our Montana want to speed up every time we drive through Fountain Valley on the 405.
helmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 03:15 PM   #7
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jjackflash

Mike Thompson in Santa Fe Springs was rated by Trailer Life as one of the top 10 dealers in the states!
Jack
Jack have you had any service at any of the Mike Thompson RV Service Centers? I have had 4 times experance with them, and all bad. poor communications, shoddy work, and high prices.

Now if you are talking about the sales department I will give them a 9 or 10 in that department ONLY.

If there was a another factory dealer in my area that Keystone supported I would give them my business then compare the two, but Thompsons RV has it locked up in this area anyway.
Old 02-16-2011, 03:25 PM   #8
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
Don
Keystone told me I could use any Keystone dealer for warranty work. They did not have to be a Montana Dealer.
Mike Thompson knows exactly what I think of their service and so doe`s Keystone.
Ron
helmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 05:45 PM   #9
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by helmick

Don
Keystone told me I could use any Keystone dealer for warranty work. They did not have to be a Montana Dealer.
Mike Thompson knows exactly what I think of their service and so doe`s Keystone.
Ron
Ron I sent you a PM
Don
Old 02-16-2011, 06:36 PM   #10
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Don, From day one I've always stayed away from dealers,I've always use a local trailer shop.
Jack
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 03:09 AM   #11
tonycamacho
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9300
Send a message via AIM to tonycamacho
I read the post about Mike Thomspon in Fountain View and was totally shocked. My experience with these guys has always been positive. I bought my Monty pre-owned, the sales guys not only kept all their promises as to repairs and modifications I wanted, they also followed up on repairs and kept me posted in Mexico on these repairs. Since I could not take immediate delivery they stored my Monty for three months free. While they had the Monty there I had them upgrade the suspension to a Mor-ryde. When I finally returned to pick up the monty they did another walk-though inspection with me while the service department installed the hitch in the TV.
Their parts department also great and they have insured that any Keystone part I request or order is forwarded to where ever I'm at. I will buy from these guys again.

Tony
tonycamacho is offline   Reply With Quote